[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sharks to release Nabby

SeductiveNun

From Yahoo:

Sharks will let Nabokov leave as free agent

By JOSH DUBOW, AP Sports Writer

Jun 22, 7:38 pm EDT

Email Print SAN JOSE, California (AP)—The San Jose Sharks will not offer Russian goaltender Evgeni Nabokov a contract when he becomes an unrestricted free agent next week, cutting ties with one of the NHL team’s cornerstone players.

General manager Doug Wilson announced the decision Tuesday in a pre-draft news conference, shortly after delivering the news personally to Nabokov.

“He’s been outstanding for this organization, a big part of our successes,” Wilson said. “I have great respect for him as a player, as a man and a teammate.”

Nabokov said at the end of the season that he would like to remain in San Jose, but noted that it was not his decision entirely. Nabokov made $6 million last year in the final season of his five-year contract.

Wilson noted a direction in the NHL in which teams have had great success with lower-paid goaltenders, most recently with Chicago winning the Stanley Cup with Antti Niemi, who made $827,000 this season.

“If you look at the trends in this league the last four or five years in particular and the dollars that are dedicated to that position,” he said. “If you’re dedicating $5 or $6 million, that’s coming out of somewhere else.”

Nabokov has been one of the top goalies in the league the past few years, winning an NHL-best 131 games over the past three seasons. He has a 293-215-29 record in 10 seasons with the Sharks, with a 2.39 goals against average.

Nabokov went 44-26 with a 2.43 goals against average last season, helping the Sharks reach the Western Conference final this year, where they were swept by Chicago.

The Sharks will give a chance to backup Thomas Greiss, who started 11 games this season and also played for Germany in the Olympics, as well as minor league goalie Alex Stalock, who won 39 games and had a 2.63 goals against average with Worcester in the AHL.

Wilson said the team would also look to add a veteran goalie either through a trade or free agency to pair with one of the younger goalies. Among the goalies eligible to become unrestricted free agents are Dallas’ Marty Turco, St. Louis’ Chris Mason, Philadelphia’s Michael Leighton and Washington’s Jose Theodore.

Seriously???? Greiss???????? None of the other guys listed at the end of the article inspire a lot of faith either. Biron may be an option, maybe Tim Thomas, but jeez, Greiss?????????

Whay say you Bier?

On an unrelated note, congratulations to former North Star Dino Ciccarelli being inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame. :wacko:

From Yahoo:

Seriously???? Greiss???????? None of the other guys listed at the end of the article inspire a lot of faith either. Biron may be an option, maybe Tim Thomas, but jeez, Greiss?????????

Whay say you Bier?

On an unrelated note, congratulations to former North Star Dino Ciccarelli being inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame. :wacko:

Was one of my favorite players as a kid :tup:

I wish the Flyers would go after him...

no cap space at least until we can move one of the big money guys. Hartnall, Gagne, Briere or Carter. And I guess Carter shows up in the rumors since he's the only one worth the money he's getting

no cap space at least until we can move one of the big money guys. Hartnall, Gagne, Briere or Carter. And I guess Carter shows up in the rumors since he's the only one worth the money he's getting

I'd love to move Hartnell as he did nothing up until late in the playoffs....and Carter vanished in the playoffs...

and I was never much of a Gagne fan....I'll move any of those guys to upgrade to Nabokov

I'd love to move Hartnell as he did nothing up until late in the playoffs....and Carter vanished in the playoffs...

and I was never much of a Gagne fan....I'll move any of those guys to upgrade to Nabokov

In Carter's defense he did have a broken foot. I'm fine with moving the other guys. Gagne is always hurt, Hartnall makes too much for a 3rd line player, Briere is way overpaid (even if he's K. Primeau Part II, hugh in the playoffs).

Congrats Gil. Before the playoffs a decent amount of people questioned whether Nabby could lead them far Into the playoffs I thought the sharks had enough firepower to overcome. It. wouldn't be surprised to see them send him packing.

i thought he has had a very good career with the sharks and appreciate a lot of the hockey i saw him play. time for him to go. very inconsistent in the playoffs.

Other NHL News, unconfirmed, but Big Buff, Eager, Sopel, and Aliu to Atlanta for a 1st, 2nd, and Reasoner.

Let the carnage begin. PLEASE get rid of Huet, someone take him.

Actually, I'd like to see Buff come home to Minnesota.

As for Huet........ :wacko:

it is kind of surprising that the sharks would not resign nabokov and go the inexperinced route, and using chicago as an example is way off base, other than Dan Boyle and the now retired Rob Blake, the hawks defence featured the NHL best defenceman in Duncan Keith, Brian Campbell, and Brent Seabrook . Even after the resigning of Marleau and Pavelski today they still have over 12 mil in cap space. This is Thorton's final year they may need to save some cash for him and there was another rumour that Jason Spezza might be on his way to the Sharks or also Columbus for the 4th overall.

it is kind of surprising that the sharks would not resign nabokov and go the inexperinced route, and using chicago as an example is way off base, other than Dan Boyle and the now retired Rob Blake, the hawks defence featured the NHL best defenceman in Duncan Keith, Brian Campbell, and Brent Seabrook . Even after the resigning of Marleau and Pavelski today they still have over 12 mil in cap space. This is Thorton's final year they may need to save some cash for him and there was another rumour that Jason Spezza might be on his way to the Sharks or also Columbus for the 4th overall.

Then it would appear the Sharks are going to go the way of the Capitals. All offense and hope to the hockey gods they can make it with a mediocre goalie. Good luck with that.

Now watch the Wild do something silly and trade Backstrom to San Jose for picks and prospects. :wacko:

this is the most action I can rememeber leading up to the draft

Jason spezza perhaps to San Jose or Columbus

Thomas Kaberle rumoured to 4 teams with another 8 making offers

Florida pitching the 15th overall pick , oilers maybe offering Penner

Tim Thomas given the chance to find a new team by the bruins

draft day could be good tomorrow night.

Actually, I'd like to see Buff come home to Minnesota.

As for Huet........ :tup:

+1

Big body who can skate, score, and hit. Something the Wild have never had... :tup:

Then it would appear the Sharks are going to go the way of the Capitals. All offense and hope to the hockey gods they can make it with a mediocre goalie. Good luck with that.

Now watch the Wild do something silly and trade Backstrom to San Jose for picks and prospects. :wacko:

Unfortunately, Backstrom is pretty much untradeable at this point. He has a NTC and (even if he was willing to waive it) his contract wont have anyone lining up for his services after the season he had last year.

I know we cant go back in time, but the move for the Wild would have been to trade Backstrom rather sign him to that big contract. DR should have been able to see the shape the team was in and realize Backstrom was one of his only bargaining chips (at that time) toward getting some more talent into the organization. Alas, Dougie couldnt/wouldnt see that and has since been replaced. Hopefully, Fletch has his chit together and makes some solid picks and/or trades over the next couple days. This organization simply CAN NOT afford to whiff on its draft picks the way it has been since about 2003.

Oh, and I think the Staubitz move was decent. Hopefully, the Wild have realized it needs some grit and toughness that can actually play a little bit and let Boogaard go stink up someone else's roster.

i'm watching, and keep being reminded that the damn leafs could have had seguin, hopefully Kessel turns into a great one beacuse i think we lost out on a great one.

but other than the top 4 or 5 there have been some surpirses , the ducks got a gift getting the highest rated defencemen at 11.

all of the trade talk going in has kind of subsided , i hope i'm wrong but i do not think much will go on now, maybe tomorrow.

I must say as an Oiler fan, I'm not a hugh fan of the Taylor Hall drafting unless we find a Center through trade or FA.

We have some of the weakest centers in the league and we pass on Joe Sakic part 2? I think that's a mistake.

Hopefully we can land Jason Spezza.

i'm watching, and keep being reminded that the damn leafs could have had seguin, hopefully Kessel turns into a great one beacuse i think we lost out on a great one.

but other than the top 4 or 5 there have been some surpirses , the ducks got a gift getting the highest rated defencemen at 11.

all of the trade talk going in has kind of subsided , i hope i'm wrong but i do not think much will go on now, maybe tomorrow.

As the draft unfolded and Fowler slid, I wanted the Wild to go that route (if they couldnt trade down for more picks) even though offense is an area they are particularly deficient of talent. I think they went more for need and (after the player they wanted was already gone) they took the best of what was left rather than the BPA. That may come back to haunt them. It will obviously be a while before we know...

NHL Free Agency started this morning. Some noteables so far...

Gonchar to the Sens

Paul Martin to the Pens

And my personal favorite...

Derek Boogaard to the Rags

4 yrs/$1.625M

The Rangers are completely NUTS to sign that goon to a contract like that. NUTS! :wacko:

Glen Sather is still living off what he did 30 years ago in edmonton, they bought Gretzky from a cash strapped team , then Sather drafted , kevin lowe , mark messier and glen anderson, the next year he drafted jari kurri , andy moog and paul coffee, follwed the next year with grant fuhr and steve smith and the dynasty was complete. he was regarded as a genius , but for the last 10 years with the rangers he spends and makes deals that just flat out make no sense, add the boogaard deal to the list with the recent signigns of chris drury, the now departed scott gomez, wade reddon. add in the eric lindros, and bobby holik signigns ( the holik one might be the worst of them all) and how he has not been fired is beyond me.

just seen some rumours that kovalchuk is supposed to announce his intentions today. the islanders apparently have offered big coin, 10 yr/100mil for him is the rumour, and the devils trying to clear cap space to resign him and parise next season.

NHL Free Agency started this morning. Some noteables so far...

Gonchar to the Sens Knew he was gone from the Pens a while ago, not shocked he's a Senator now

Paul Martin to the Pens Bummer, would have liked to see him in Minny

And my personal favorite...

Derek Boogaard to the Rags

4 yrs/$1.625M

The Rangers are completely NUTS to sign that goon to a contract like that. NUTS! :wacko:

As for Boogard, that's a lotta coin for a player who's been hurt a lot the last couple years and his peak minutes in a game hover around 6.

Nabby update:

Ex-Sharks goalie Nabokov signs with Russian team

July 8, 2010

CBSSports.com wire reports

ST. PETERSBURG, Russia -- Russian hockey team SKA St. Petersburg says it has signed former San Jose Sharks goalie Evgeni Nabokov to a four-year contract.

The Sharks announced in June that Nabokov would not be offered a new contract.

SKA St. Petersburg is one of the top teams in the Continental Hockey League (KHL).

Club chairman Alexander Medvedev confirmed the signing in comments on the club website, but declined to say how much Nabokov would be paid.

Nabokov, who will turn 35 later this month, made $6 million in his final season with the Sharks.

And so he fades into our memories like Jagr and Hasek..................................

Wonder who CamelToeBlake will draft for a goalie now? :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...
And Kovalchuk re-signs with the Devils. Official announcement on Tuesday. Curious as to the terms of the contract. :wacko:

seen in a few places it around 17years-102mill

10mil per for the first 8 seasons - 80mil

7.5mil for the next 2 season 15mill

final 7 years at 1mil per 7mil

he will be on the devils cap until he is 44 and probably long gone home to mother russia

The flyers dump Gagne to the lighting for almost next to nothing. I cant think this is what the nhl had in mind , players getting front loaded deals and 17 year contracts , and then teams dumping top level talent to make up for there siging mistakes elesewhere.

Nabby update:

And so he fades into our memories like Jagr and Hasek..................................

Wonder who CamelToeBlake will draft for a goalie now? :wacko:

I will probably draft Jimmy Howard again and release him. Again. It worked so well for me last year. :tup:

I will probably draft Jimmy Howard again and release him. Again. It worked so well for me last year. :wacko:

:tup:

I had no idea you drafted him last year. I thought I was just lucky that I managed to snag him from the WW before anyone else. I didn't think anyone even really heard of him prior to the halfway point of the season.