[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sharks to release Nabby

SeductiveNun

seen in a few places it around 17years-102mill

10mil per for the first 8 seasons - 80mil

7.5mil for the next 2 season 15mill

final 7 years at 1mil per 7mil

he will be on the devils cap until he is 44 and probably long gone home to mother russia

The flyers dump Gagne to the lighting for almost next to nothing. I cant think this is what the nhl had in mind , players getting front loaded deals and 17 year contracts , and then teams dumping top level talent to make up for there siging mistakes elesewhere.

It seems an awful lot like the way the NBA cap works. Lots of salary dumps and cap hits for years down the road.

On the one hand, you can sign lucrative deals to some players like Kovi and control the cap hit somewhat. I read somewhere that Kovi's cap hit next season will be less than that of Mikko Koivu's for the Wild. :wacko:

Looking forward 5-10 years from now, I wonder how many former NHL players will still be affecting the cap for their former teams.

:wacko:

I had no idea you drafted him last year. I thought I was just lucky that I managed to snag him from the WW before anyone else. I didn't think anyone even really heard of him prior to the halfway point of the season.

I am a life long Wings fan who for a short time lived close to Grand Rapids. I have been waiting for 3 years for them to bring him up. It was obvious that this was the year and I hoped he would fair as well as he did with the Griffins. I figured I would stash him and maybe trade someone down the line. But with Nabby and Brodeur and injuries taking their tole and I had to drop him.

wow, the NHL man's up and grows a pair and rejects this deal as it circumvents the cap rules. but how does the pronger, lugano,hossa,kiprusoff, all have deals where they drop off to below nhl minimums in the years they will be long retired. The NHL is late tothe party again this should have been looked after two years ago when this contract we starting to show up.

It seems an awful lot like the way the NBA cap works. Lots of salary dumps and cap hits for years down the road.

On the one hand, you can sign lucrative deals to some players like Kovi and control the cap hit somewhat. I read somewhere that Kovi's cap hit next season will be less than that of Mikko Koivu's for the Wild. :wacko:

Looking forward 5-10 years from now, I wonder how many former NHL players will still be affecting the cap for their former teams.

the below is a good expanation of how the cap hit would have worked, so when he retires he comes off the cap , now i understand this a bit more.

For example, the salary cap hit each year of the Kovalchuk contract will be $6 million per year. That's the number we see, but the numbers are much different in what the player actually sees each year.

According to capgeek.com , Kovalchuk will make $6 million per year for the first two years, before and increase to $11.5 million per year for five years. It eventually drops to $550,000 a year for the last five years of the contract.

Where the problem arises is the cap hit. Kovalchuk will make exactly what his cap hit is for the next two years. However the six years after that, Kovalchuck will be making almost double what the team will have to account for in the salary cap.

The system works if the player finishes the contract, because the cap hit on the last years will be $6 million a year even though Kovalchuk only makes $550,000.

If the player does retire beforehand, the cap will no longer be affected by that contract. This is where the discussing of retirement is the cheating. Obviously a player might decide to retire somewhere in there, but it it's an unwritten understanding, it becomes an unfair way of opening up cap space.

It's ironic and amusing that the first time the Devils go out and actually spend some money on someone the deal gets rejected. :tup:

ETA: Oh, and :wacko: to the Pens for adding Martin and Michalek, way to shore up the blue line. :tup: Sucks losing Gonchar, but at that age and the amount he got paid it made no sense for the Pens to sign him.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

The NHLPA has decided to challenge the NHL on the rejection of the kovalchuk contract, I just read some where this morning that if this stands up and the arbitrator agrees with the NHL , that the Devils could be fined up to 5 million and kovalchuk as much as 1 million for contravining the NHL collective bargining agreement.

Turco is now a Blackhawk.

Blackhawks to part ways with Niemi after signing Turco

Aug. 2, 2010

CBSSports.com wire reports

CHICAGO -- The Chicago Blackhawks have agreed to a one-year deal with veteran goaltender Marty Turco on Monday, settling on a veteran goaltender to replace Stanley Cup hero Antti Niemi.

General manager Stan Bowman said the team expects "immediate" contributions from the 34-year-old Turco, played nine seasons with Dallas. He is a three-time All Star.

Terms were not disclosed.

The 26-year-old Niemi helped the Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup this past season after earning $826,875 as a rookie. He was awarded a $2.75 million salary for next season by an arbitrator last week, putting the Blackhawks in a tough spot.

Bowman declined to say whether the team could have squeezed Niemi's award under the NHL's salary cap, set at $59.4 million next season.

"The salary cap has been talked about too much," Bowman said.

Bowman said he made several attempts to sign Niemi to a multiyear contract before the goalie's case went to arbitration.

"We exhausted all of our options to make this work," Bowman said. "This is the direction that made the most sense. You have to have flexibility within your roster and this was the best way to defend the Cup."

Niemi, a Finn who signed with the Blackhawks in May 2008, becomes an unrestricted free agent. He played all but one period of the Blackhawks postseason run to the championship, going 16-6 with a 2.63 goals-against average, .910 save percentage and two shutouts.

Niemi is the eighth player to leave the Blackhawks since the team won its first Stanley Cup in 49 years, joining Andrew Ladd, Ben Eager, Dustin Byfuglien, Brent Sopel, Adam Burish, Colin Fraser and Kris Versteeg.

Bowman said he had been eyeing Turco for some time and trying to coordinate the timing of the signing so another NHL team wouldn't take him.

"We talked it over and Marty is the guy we certainly had interest in for a long time here," Bowman said via conference call. "We're fortunate that he had some patience with us, which speaks to the kind of guy he is and that he wants to be here.

"We've been working on parallel paths for a while."

In his NHL career, Turco is 262-154-63 in 509 regular-season games with a 2.31 goals-against average and 40 shutouts. Last season, he went 22-20-11 with a 2.72 GAA, .913 save percentage and four shutouts.

The 5-foot-11 native of Sault Ste-Marie, Ontario, who turns 35 this month, is 21-26 with a 2.17 goals-against average in 47 playoffs games.

The Stars, however, have missed the postseason for two straight years.

"I haven't lost my confidence, although the last few years have been tough mentally because we haven't made the playoffs," Turco said. "Part of the reason for going there (Chicago) is now you're on a team that has a chance to win every night and won a Stanley Cup last season."

Turco added that he has "never been better physically" and that it was a "dream come true" to play for an Original Six NHL team that once had Tony Esposito, another Sault Ste-Marie native, in net.

"I had offers from other teams and multiyear deals, but I had a chance to be a part of this great organization," Turco said. "Waiting, especially looking at it from today, doesn't seem that difficult."

With the addition of Turco, Bowman said his team's roster is nearly set for 2010-11.

"We need to add a defenseman, but we're not going to be making wholesale changes at this point," he said. "We're satisfied with what we have."

Turco has had 2 very mediocre years in a row now, partially due to lackluster defense in Dallas. I don't know if he can recapture any of the old mojo though. Should be very interesting to watch.

The NHLPA has decided to challenge the NHL on the rejection of the kovalchuk contract, I just read some where this morning that if this stands up and the arbitrator agrees with the NHL , that the Devils could be fined up to 5 million and kovalchuk as much as 1 million for contravining the NHL collective bargining agreement.

As you mentioned earlier, it took the NHL long enough to jump on this issue. Apparently it's OK to circumvent the cap rules a little bit, but to do so as grossly as the Devils did means no more looking the other way! Next lockout the owners will come up with some new rules to make sure they don't have to pay ridiculous contracts, and once that's done the first thing they will do is look for ways to get around those rules. Yet the fans will probably end up blaming the players................again. :wacko:

the salary cap was put in place to portect the owners from themselves and inability to control there urges to throw big money at talent.

the cap was also supposed to level the playing field as teams like Edmonton could not pay the same contracts as toronto or detroit, so after losing the whole f'ing season they set the cap at 39 million for the 05-06 season, now a mere 4 seasons later we are back up to 59.4 million , if you excuse the combined three years the red wings and rangers both were over 70 mil, they are almost back to the pre cap salary levels. this is on the owners again the fact they just cant say no.

i also do not agree with the fact that teams can be over the cap ever, there are 4 teams currently 2million plus over the cap and a couple others bang on even with it.

Just read Modano will be announcing he's signed with Detroit for 1 year. Likely he'll be their 3rd line center.

I know it's a homecoming for Modano as he's a Michigan kid but jeez, could the Wild have tried a little harder to convince him to complete his career in Minnesota? It's not like we have a plethora of centers on this team either. After Koivu and Matt Cullen we're lucky if we can suit up Frick or Frack.

And totally agree with you on the cap issue Darkside. It's so damn frustrating as a fan seeing the impending train wreck that will be the next round of CBA meetings, and knowing nothing will be done to prevent it.

Wild signed John Madden for their 3rd line center. :wacko:

While not a flashy player, he's a solid center, which we truly lacked behind Koivu. Now at center we have Koivu, Cullen, and Madden. If Havlat can recapture his point per game ability (and stay healthy), and if Latendresse can continue what he did last season for the Wild, this might actually be a fun team to watch again.

Edited by SeductiveNun