[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Record-setting Wimbledon match

Gopher

American John Isner is in what is nearing a 7-hour match... They are currently tied 35-35 (games, not points) in the 5th set, which has been going on for four hours by itself. Crazy. :wacko: What's funny is that Isner is slated to play doubles this evening. :tup:

Now 51-50 in the 5th. But, upon further review, I just realized that the match started yesterday, and was suspended due to darkness. I was originally thinking that they had been playing for 7 hours TODAY, which would be out of this world, considering how physically demanding/gruelling tennis can be. Still, the fact that the 5th set is now going on five hours by itself is unbelievable.

I read that they picked it up today at the beginning of the 5th set. So if we were to assume that they were only a couple games into the 5th when they started this morning, they're still well beyond an entire match's worth of games today alone.

I can't watch the match here at work. Are they both serving that well that nobody can break it, or is a matter of nobody wants to win this?

I read that they picked it up today at the beginning of the 5th set. So if we were to assume that they were only a couple games into the 5th when they started this morning, they're still well beyond an entire match's worth of games today alone.

I can't watch the match here at work. Are they both serving that well that nobody can break it, or is a matter of nobody wants to win this?

I'm not watching either... I'm guessing that it will be an instant "classic" that will be aired on ESPN Classic sometime soon, though. Not saying that I plan on watching the entire match, but I wouldn't mind checking out this fifth set if they show it.

Yeah... Four hours of nonstop tennis is the equivalent of a longer-than-average match, but not record-breaking. If it had been 7 or 8 hours (or more) today, on the other hand, that would be insane. Not even sure what comparison to use, in the sports world. Maybe like that Syracuse-UConn tournament game from 2009, that went 5 or 6 overtime sessions, except this would be more like 8+ overtimes, and you ran out of substitutes a couple of hours ago. Brutal.

I'm not watching either... I'm guessing that it will be an instant "classic" that will be aired on ESPN Classic sometime soon, though. Not saying that I plan on watching the entire match, but I wouldn't mind checking out this fifth set if they show it.

Yeah... Four hours of nonstop tennis is the equivalent of a longer-than-average match, but not record-breaking. If it had been 7 or 8 hours (or more) today, on the other hand, that would be insane. Not even sure what comparison to use, in the sports world. Maybe like that Syracuse-UConn tournament game from 2009, that went 5 or 6 overtime sessions, except this would be more like 8+ overtimes, and you ran out of substitutes a couple of hours ago. Brutal.

Or the 1984 baseball game that went 25 innings and 8 hours over 2 nights.

Will they play until one runs out of tennis rackets? :tup: One guy is tennis drunk. He can barely move or serve. :wacko:

Still, impressive as hell on both sides. This is awesome.

Edited by TimC

Or the 1984 baseball game that went 25 innings and 8 hours over 2 nights.

Yeah... Can't imagine being a catcher in that game. I guess I just thought of basketball, since there is more constant moving in tennis and basketball, with intermittent short breaks. Soccer came to mind as well, but they don't really take breaks (although they do get some stoppages in play, where the players can at least catch their breath for a few seconds). If I had to compare 8 hours of tennis to soccer, I'm guessing it would be like playing 90 scoreless minutes, going to sudden death, and then playing another 90 scoreless minutes. Not really a completely fair comparison, since soccer players don't get breaks, and tennis players sit down for a minute or two, every other game. But, in terms of energy expended, I would estimate that they're fairly close in comparison.

Obviously, this is just for the sake of discussion... I do realize that this tennis match was split between two days, so they haven't played for 8 hours straight (yet).

They're now at over 100 games in the 5th set, and looking at possibly looking at going into a third day.