[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cooking show annoyances

mrip

I started seeing billboards for some new cooking show with Bobby Flay and Giada De Lorentis. And what do you know, the ads show Giada with all eleventy billion of her perfectly veneered teeth exposed. On her show, whenever Giada isn't talking she has this huge fake smile plastered on her face that drives me crazy. I don't know who told her to pin her lips back to her ears whenever she has nothing to say, but they made a big mistake. Drives me freaking crazy. Giada, please close your mouth. It's huge and distracting.

The way Kelly Choi talks drives me crazy. "... for a total of thirteen staaaarsssss." She sounds like a kindergarten teacher praising some kid who managed to write a nice capital G. You're talking to adults, fool. Also, eat something. Why the producers chose a cooking competition host who clearly never eats make no sense.

Alton Brown adds complexity to recipes for no other reason than to add complexity. You can make everything on Serious Eats taste just as good in about half the time usually.

Down Home With The Neelys - YOU ARE WHY WE ARE ALL FAT!!! Obesity is more dangerous than smoking or being an alcoholic. Please drop the buttermilk and walk away.

Anthony Bourdain - No Reservations is my favorite food show. I've read his books. BUT, these days he seems to be following a formula instead of his heart. It's like Kitchen Confidential compared to Medium Raw; KC was written by a guy with a lot to say about a subject he was passionate about. MR reads like an apology for his first book, dragged down by the expectations of his new powerful friends, in an effort to make more money and not piss off anyone other than people who already hate him. I feel like his show is going the same direction. The passion is gone. sigh.

Bizzare Foods - Hey Zimmern, when the locals who prepare your "traditional" fare wince at what you're eating, the whole premise of your show is ruined.

Barefoot Contessa - With the food network overrun by fake-ass pretenders I get the most authentic vibe from this show. Not sure why.

Hell's Kitchen - I do not understand the appeal of abusive competition shows. What do people see in this?

Discuss

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- have always disliked giada's smile

- alton is has a lot to offer. one of the few i can still learn from. no issue with him

- hate the neely's

- no issue with bourdain

- don't watch zimmerman, hell's kitchen, or contessa

- dislike the idolatry of rachel ray. i used to like her $40/day show because it focused on food and travel. she is not a good cook.

- shame they really over played emeril. would have liked to have tried his food prior to the mass marketing.

- prior to the top chef masters, thought a lot of the judges were, well, judgmental without having to do those challenges.

Tyler Florence - will use five dishes and seven utensils to mix/stir/build a meal with, when two or even one of each will work. but i really dig his meals.

as far as Giada-talk goes, i tend to notice a couple of her other features first.

- alton is has a lot to offer. one of the few i can still learn from. no issue with him

- hate the neely's

- no issue with bourdain

- don't watch zimmerman, hell's kitchen, or contessa

- dislike the idolatry of rachel ray. i used to like her $40/day show because it focused on food and travel. she is not a good cook.

- shame they really over played emeril. would have liked to have tried his food prior to the mass marketing.

- prior to the top chef masters, thought a lot of the judges were, well, judgmental without having to do those challenges.

Pretty much spot on for me other than ever liking RR and I do watch Zimmern.

Giada is hot any way you slice it. :wacko: ... and the woman can cook.

No doubt.

Watched a biography type show about her and they said that her show was gonna be dropped b/c she had no personality; never smiled. I think she forces the smile now sometimes but I also think she's hot as hell.

I have a friend that knew her before TV - says she was nice as could be and very shy. They really worked with her to create a television persona. Maybe she seems a little off because she's trying to act... :wacko:

Again, she's hot and she cooks. Italian food. Well. :pantswaytight:

I don't like Rachel Ray. That stupid laugh after every comment has caused me to beat my children to release my anger. I don't like Paula Deen anymore either. She's become a caricature of a southern belle. And finally, semi-home made with Sandra Lee. Her food looks as appetizing as my foot.

I don't like Rachel Ray. That stupid laugh after every comment has caused me to beat my children to release my anger. I don't like Paula Deen anymore either. She's become a caricature of a southern belle. And finally, semi-home made with Sandra Lee. Her food looks as appetizing as my foot.

+1 Yan Can Cook was a good one along with Jaques Pepin. I will say Alton Brown has a few tricks up his sleeve, like when cooking bacon in the oven, put the bacon in while preheating so you can render the fat. Damm that's good bacon.

+1 Yan Can Cook was a good one along with Jaques Pepin. I will say Alton Brown has a few tricks up his sleeve, like when cooking bacon in the oven, put the bacon in while preheating so you can render the fat. Damm that's good bacon.

Martin Yan was the guy that got me started cooking and I like AB. I would pay for someone to shove an icepick through Rachel Ray's eyes.

I completely agree that Alton Brown is pretty much the only guy you can actually learn about cooking from. Too bad really. I wish the network would put out more instructional stuff.

Edited by mrip

Pretty much agree with everything said above. I'll add that I can't stand Bobby Flay's arrogance. He may be a great chef, but he makes me sick as a person and his "Throwdown" show displays it in it's full glory.

Yan is awesome...

:tup:

She is annoying. I've always liked Guy's Big Bite. He seems like someone you'd have fun cooking with.

I like Guy as well. He seems like a genuine guy who would just be fun to hang around.

On Direct TV there's the new Cooking channel. I don't know the lineup yet, but saw that they had a show with Jamie Oliver who was always a favorite of the wife & mine. It also has the two fat ladies show which is entertaining just to listen to them talk.

ETA: I wish they had more of Cat Cora on Food Network. :wacko:

Edited by rajncajn

The way Kelly Choi talks drives me crazy. "... for a total of thirteen staaaarsssss." She sounds like a kindergarten teacher praising some kid who managed to write a nice capital G. You're talking to adults, fool. Also, eat something. Why the producers chose a cooking competition host who clearly never eats make no sense.

Actually, she does. I follow her on Twitter: she's a total food maniac. She just doesn't eat a lot, and must be a workout fiend. The other day she tweeted that she fried a leftover slice of poundcake in butter, and topped it with caviar . . . for breakfast. "Yummy! Warm, sweet, and salty." :wacko:

Alton Brown adds complexity to recipes for no other reason than to add complexity. You can make everything on Serious Eats taste just as good in about half the time usually.

Spot-on. What tore it for me was the "make your own yogurt" episode, where Alton shows you how to go to the store, buy some yogurt, and then spend multiple hours over three days turning that one container of storebought yogurt into three containers' worth of homemade yogurt. Yeah, it's $2.49. I'll just buy two more, thanks.

Anthony Bourdain - No Reservations is my favorite food show. I've read his books. BUT, these days he seems to be following a formula instead of his heart. It's like Kitchen Confidential compared to Medium Raw; KC was written by a guy with a lot to say about a subject he was passionate about. MR reads like an apology for his first book, dragged down by the expectations of his new powerful friends, in an effort to make more money and not piss off anyone other than people who already hate him. I feel like his show is going the same direction. The passion is gone. sigh.

Even when he's clearly not that enchanted by the location, he's still the best at describing what is good and why. 90% of other "go places and eat things" hosts just go, "OH YEAH THAT IS GOOD. *munch munch* YEAFGH THATHGHT REFRELAGY GOOFD." Meanwhile, Bourdain will weave evocative one-liners that both capture the meal, and make you laugh.

Bizzare Foods - Hey Zimmern, when the locals who prepare your "traditional" fare wince at what you're eating, the whole premise of your show is ruined.

I once had a nightmare about that episode where he cut his lip on the skull of a suckling pig, because he was sucking out its brains too zestily. :tup: Also, Zimmern's a "OH YEAH THAT'S GOOD" violator. Apparently you flew 7,000 miles so you could tell the world that that reeking stinkfruit is "good," just like the pig's brains, those mashed-up crab guts, or a frickin' grilled cheese sandwich.

Hell's Kitchen - I do not understand the appeal of abusive competition shows. What do people see in this?

It breaks my heart, because in the British version of Kitchen Nightmares, he's shown tremendous humanity. He's done really great things not just for family-owned restaurants, but the families that own them. Husbands and wives, fathers and sons, groups of sisters, he doesn't just fix the biz, he fixes the relationships too. I remember he once used marriage counseling techniques with a chef and his maître d'. In HK he takes a kitchen full of talentless line cooks and beats 'em like baby seals. It's bizarre and disturbing and has almost zero food value.

Lemme throw Guy Fieri under the bus here. Probably the worst "OH YEAH THAT'S GOOD" offender, Guy drives me crazy because he's marketed at people like me--bowling shirt, set full of guitars and amps, drives around the country eating fried stuff, meat, and fried meat--but I don't buy him at all. He's, like, Diet Sammy Hagar. Trying too hard, don't buy it.

Peace

policy

Edited by policyvote

I don't like Paula Deen anymore either. She's become a caricature of a southern belle.

She's more a caricature of the Liberty Belle.

Even when he's clearly not that enchanted by the location, he's still the best at describing what is good and why. 90% of other "go places and eat things" hosts just go, "OH YEAH THAT IS GOOD. *munch munch* YEAFGH THATHGHT REFRELAGY GOOFD." Meanwhile, Bourdain will weave evocative one-liners that both capture the meal, and make you laugh.

+1. I've been a Bourdain nut-hugger for years. If he's someplace he doesn't like, or he's not having a good time or if he hates the food, he looks straight into the camera and says it. See the Romania episode, or just about any episode set in freezing cold climates. That's the kind of honesty I want out of my travel show hosts.

Here's the thing that really bothers me about Top Chef, and even more so Top Chef Masters: The producers of those shows watch way too much Survivor or Big Brother or any other shows where they take complete stranger joe schmoes and play up the cattyness that ensues. I HATE when they have professional chefs (and aspiring professional chefs) and have them trash talk each other behind their backs. I find that amazingly unprofessional, and the people who make those shows and the editors should be WAY above that. Classless.

Edited by SheikYerbuti

Dig Alton brown and Good Eats. Learned a lot from that show.

Like Guy Fieri. One of his first restaurants (maybe it was his first), Johnny Garlic's, is in Santa Rosa where igrew up and it was damn good food. Used a lot of fresh herbs that the grew on site.

I liked Tyler Florence on how to Boil Water. Helped me nail down some good basics. Good instructional type show.

I like Michael Symon when he does Iron Chef, good personality.

And of course..... if Yan can cook, so can you.......