[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cooking show annoyances

mrip

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what I despise about Top Chef Masters? The fact that with 3 judges and an audience group making up the 4th rating how there are no ties for highest number of stars. To my knowledge, there has never been a tie for the best dish/challenge. Makes it seems even more contrived.

You know what I despise about Top Chef Masters? The fact that with 3 judges and an audience group making up the 4th rating how there are no ties for highest number of stars. To my knowledge, there has never been a tie for the best dish/challenge. Makes it seems even more contrived.

I think they are asked to rank them......... but there should still have been some ties along the way.

Shoot whats the big deal? Like any other network, watch the ones you like, turn off the ones you don't. I glean more info from the accomplished cooks that don't act like their sheet don't stink. I.E. Guy, Alton, Ingrid to name a few. Emeril still has some intersting techniques when you can cut through all the chafe. Bobby was great when FN first started and the guy can flat out burn with the best. He is a bit full of himself now. Met both him and Guy last year and both are pretty cool. Love food. Thing is the FN gives everyone the idea that being a cook/chef is a rockstar life. Nothing is further from the truth. Many viewers are spending way too much money to get trained in school to find out after graduating that they will still start out as a pantry/prep cook at $10 an hour until they can prove their chops. If the pasiion for the biz wasn't there before you watched the shows it never will be.

Edited by Hugh B Tool

Martin Yan was the guy that got me started cooking and I like AB. I would pay for someone to shove an icepick through Rachel Ray's eyes.

How much?

I think Cat Cora plays for the other team...if you know what I mean.

She is openly gay.

I have appropriate, but strong man-love for Alton Brown. He is my favorite. I have learned so much from him.

Bobby was great when FN first started and the guy can flat out burn with the best. He is a bit full of himself now.

Disagree here. I like Flay and never got that vibe from watching him. In fact, I think the Throwdown show he does is great and takes balls to try and outcook someone at their best dish. He's pretty humble on that show IMO.

Disagree here. I like Flay and never got that vibe from watching him. In fact, I think the Throwdown show he does is great and takes balls to try and outcook someone at their best dish. He's pretty humble on that show IMO.

The whole premise of the show is for him to go around and prove that he can out-cook regular folks who are popular for a dish they do very well. Only they don't get advanced warning and he gets to test out his recipe before showing up.

The whole premise of the show is for him to go around and prove that he can out-cook regular folks who are popular for a dish they do very well. Only they don't get advanced warning and he gets to test out his recipe before showing up.

They test the recipes daily. It is that person's expert dish.

Like Flay and do not get the vibe he is full of himself at all.

They test the recipes daily. It is that person's expert dish.

Like Flay and do not get the vibe he is full of himself at all.

I've heard that he throws the challenges to make better tv... The show just makes me uncomfortable. Coming into a town and smacking down a local icon in front of their family, friends and supporters? That's not fun to watch. You can see that some of these people are just devastated.

I've heard that he throws the challenges to make better tv... The show just makes me uncomfortable. Coming into a town and smacking down a local icon in front of their family, friends and supporters? That's not fun to watch. You can see that some of these people are just devastated.

Exactly

I've heard that he throws the challenges to make better tv...

I doubt that. It's pretty clear he's putting his best possible product on the table.

The show just makes me uncomfortable. Coming into a town and smacking down a local icon in front of their family, friends and supporters? That's not fun to watch. You can see that some of these people are just devastated.

Not many. According to wiki, his record on the show is 28-57-1. He gets his ass kicked on a regular basis and takes it like a champ every time, which is why I like the show and him.

I doubt that. It's pretty clear he's putting his best possible product on the table.

He gets his ass kicked on a regular basis and takes it like a champ every time, which is why I like the show and him.

Yup - really like that show. I often incorporate both Bobby's and the challenger's techniques into dishes I want to try. I think Flay loses some contests he probably shouldn't simply because the judges are local and sometimes think the local way of doing the dish is the "best of only" way. BF often throws something unexpected into his dishes.

I like his grilling show too.

I understand the premise of the show, I've seen it quite a few times. Of course he tests it. The person being challenged is KNOWN for it though.

The episodes I've seen, it's all in good fun and the winner is gracious and so is the loser.

Not many. According to wiki, his record on the show is 28-57-1. He gets his ass kicked on a regular basis and takes it like a champ every time, which is why I like the show and him.

exactly. how many other ' top chefs' would put their ass on the line on national television like that?

Edited by HowboutthemCowboys

I have a hard time believing they have no advance warning. If they are offered a Food Network cooking show to highlight their signature dish and don't have a clue that this might be happening, they have never heard of the show. Just from a contract / licensing perspective, I believe they have significant advanced warning and that the "surprise" part of the show has to be staged. Nevertheless, it's still their signature dish and if it's really that good, shouldn't it hold up to any other chef (even if they do have the Food Network Test Kitchen working on it)?. I still enjoy watching the show but will agree with others on him in general in that his shows don't seem to offer a lot of instruction - It's more of a "Here's what we're going to make" cut straight to "look how good this looks - I'm awesome". I've eaten at a couple of his restaurants and his food is pretty awesome though.

I enjoy watching Iron Chef - either version. Fun to see the creativity. Coming up with a couple dishes per ingredient would usually be pretty easy. Coming up with 5 dishes that don't step on any of the others and then pulling them off takes some skills.

I don't mind looking at Giada, but the way she over-enunciates things drives me nuts. That and the fact that I've never seen her prepare anything remotely difficult or interesting.

I used to like Chiarello's show while they were on.

There used to be a show on PBS (I think) - Great Chefs. Not a lot of instruction but still one of my favorite cooking shows.

Watching Top Chef for the cooking is like watching Friday Night Lights for the football. :wacko:

speaking of Guy, diners drive-ins and dives is a good show, all across the country . it is good for variations of common dishes plus notable places to eat that aren't commercial. very cool show and could run for a long time.

So delicious, so deadly.

• 1 year later...
Haven't gone back through this but hope Paula Dean has been mentioned. Her over the top southern bit annoys the living crap outta me. Can't even watch her anymore.

It's been mentioned... The worst one on the air right now though is Nadia G. WTPH were they thinking with that? :wacko: