[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Horses

Timmypg

A friend & I have been going to our local track (Pocono Downs) on Wednesday nights. We kill 2 hours+ for $20 if we have no winners. The winners part is why I'm posting. We know the basics about horse racing & we usually bet $1 exacta boxes but no matter what we do we lose. I've picked by jockey, favorites, names, times, everything. So my question is without spending hours researching is there a way to pick winners for these little races or is it just luck?

I struggle at Pocono most of the time. I like to handicap trips; if a horse ( trotters) was first over or boxed/blocked and took money that race I usually play it next out. The pocono program only shows where a horse finished, there's no trip description. That pisses me off.

When betting any horse race one of my favorite angles is when a horse is moving up in class off a loss ie: a horse runs in a 5,000 claimer and runs well but loses then moves to a 7500 claimer.

Another good angle with trotters especially at a 2 lap track like pocono is to check the program and see what post the horse started from in his previous races. If you find one that had an outside post 3 or 4 times in a row and draws inside the night you're playing it can be a big help to the horse.

I'm not a big bias guy but if you're there and see that the horses are coming from the back consistently to win that particular night I'll give a horse that has closed hard in recent races a 2nd look especially if the odds are nice.

Look for overlays. If a horse is say 5-2 on the ML and is 8 or 9-1 at post time it's usually worth a bet .

I used to play ex boxes all the time but not nearly as much anymore. Sometimes if I absolutely love a horse and he's a nice price I'll key it with all in the ex. Yeah it costs more but some of my biggest scores have come this way. Once in a while a 40 or 50-1 clunks up for second behind the horse that you love in that race. You never would have had him in your box b/c he looks like crap in the program and the ex is $500. This is really profitable in maiden races with big fields.

If it was easy Timmy everyone would do it. :wacko: One thing that has helped me over the years is to play a race, lose, then go back and look at the winner in the book and see if there may have been something there that I missed. I'll add more as it comes to mind. Hope this helps.

Whether it's small change or nice races with a much bigger take, it's my opinion you have to pay attention. In your case, I would play the tote board, look for horses that have morning line odds made by the track and see what the public is doing. If you see value one way or the other, from the morning line trends, put money down. There is no shame is winning on the 9/5...but only if it's worth it. When you spot a longer odd horse that gets "overlooked" by the general public, it's sweet.

If you are just casually playing, from the sounds of your investment, just play WPS...ISMHO.

I've also become a big fan of visual handicapping and have done amazingly well at Belmont this year because of it...and I've never once played Pocono.