[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cliff Lee: Texas Ranger

piratesownninjas

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love we got Lee, but the sad part of all this is the yankees will buy him this offseason. this is the biggest problem with baseball, a team like Ny being able to just buy everyone they want.

We need a salary cap, and floor in baseball. Im sick of seeing teams like the pirates and royals not spending money, around 30 mil, and teams like the yanks and sox spending 200 mil. How can it be good for baseball when there is such a gap in payroll like this. this is why the sport is an after thought in 75% of the country.

The most obvious 7 things in sports that need to be changed are.

In the NFL, there needs to be a rookie scale with the draft like basketball. Its stupid rookies who have never played a down can immediately become the highest paid player on the team. a mistake at the top of the draft should cost you, but not set you back for a half decade.

In baseball there needs to be a cap like in basketball. Even the mighty spankees need the royals, pirates, etc.. in order to play games and have a league.

In baseball there needs to be an option to trade draft picks if you think that is the way to improve your team.

In baseball if you enter the draft, and are drafted, you either sign with the team for slot money or you are ineligible to be drafted again, and must sign a minimum contract after 3 years of college. this whole process is flawed, where there is slot money, but agents like scott boras demand huge money over slot and if he doesnt get it, takes his players elsewhere only to reenter the draft the next yr or the future.

In baseball there needs to be true revenue sharing. And these independent TV deals are a joke. MLB needs to say, this is our game, and we decide who gets to broadcast games, and how much we want to be paid for it, and we will share the TV money equally like in football.

In basketball there needs to be a franchise player, so a team isnt wrecked like the cavs just were. I think there should be a way to get a player, if you have the cap room, but if you do, the said team can take any player off your roster it wants, so in clevelands case, if you want to take Lebron, we are taking Wade and 2 1st round picks.

Finally, in college football there needs to be a damn playoff.

In theory.

Basketball does it best regarding draft slot money with the draft.

Football does it best with revenue sharing, salary cap, franchise players, and parity in the sport. This is one of the reasons its the most popular sport there is.

Baseball is a damn joke in every way. This is americas past time, but its being run into the ground by greedy cheap owners not spending money and screwing its fan base. By greedy owners not giving a damn about the league and buying championships with payrolls 5 times or more than other teams.

College football is one of the best products around, and greed is the reason there isnt a true playoff to determine its champion.

Edited by Dallas Sooner

Lawson 2b

Bevin p

Leukey p

Seattle also sending 4.5 million to off set Lee's contract...

Smoak is MLB ready and highly touted. Blake Bevin, if he can adjust his pompous attitude, can be MLB ready in two years and is a bigtime (and I mean bigtime) prospect. I don't know much about the other 2, but Seattle may have fleeced us a little here. I lke the move for Lee if we can keep him for awhile, otherwise we may have sold out our future.

In basketball there needs to be a franchise player, so a team isnt wrecked like the cavs just were. I think there should be a way to get a player, if you have the cap room, but if you do, the said team can take any player off your roster it wants, so in clevelands case, if you want to take Lebron, we are taking Wade and 2 1st round picks.

Miami just gave Cleveland 2 firsts and 2 seconds for Lebron. Looks like for salary-cap purposes to allow a sign and trade.

I love we got Lee, but the sad part of all this is the yankees will buy him this offseason. this is the biggest problem with baseball, a team like Ny being able to just buy everyone they want.

Wait, you sent me a PM saying not to post anywhere near you, and you respond to my thread? Yellow Submarine?

Smoak is MLB ready and highly touted. Blake Bevin, if he can adjust his pompous attitude, can be MLB ready in two years and is a bigtime (and I mean bigtime) prospect. I don't know much about the other 2, but Seattle may have fleeced us a little here. I lke the move for Lee if we can keep him for awhile, otherwise we may have sold out our future.

Smoak is MLB ready, but he's not a proven commodity. He may end up being Chris Davis 2.0 with his 200 batting average. No where does it say he'll turn into an all star caliber player. I like him, but the jury is still out.

And Blake is not a front of the rotation guy. I've long thought, along with the great Norm Hitzgis that Bevin is more of a middle of the rotation guy. Either way, he's not one of the top two pitching prospects in the farm system right now. Keeping those guys, as well as Scheppers is massive. Texas didn't sell out there future, as they didn't give up any top line prospects other than Smoak, but I think Texas already dropped the ball and rushed him to the big leagues.

I agree with Sgt Ryan in that I don't think Cliff Lee will be a Ranger next season (Unless we get an owner that will back up all the talk.... Greenberg has already said if he wins the bid that he'll have a payroll in line with the market... Texas is the fifth biggest market).

Scooby's Hubby, this trade is for this year. The offense is there, the defense is there, the rest of the rotation is there, the bullpen is there. This team has a chance to make a deep playoff run. I know that I would trade the following ten years in mediocrity if we got to see a World Champion in Arlington. Either way though, I don't see anything mediocre next season if Lee isn't in town.

There was a lot of talk here in the Cities about the Twins making a move for Lee. I know the team had interest and I think they definitely tried to get him. How hard they tried is up for debate, as is whether or not it would have actually proven to be worth it to give up top prospects for (potentially) a rental player. We'll never know, now. The way the Twins are going currently, they need a lot more help than just an ace pitcher anyways... :wacko:

I love we got Lee, but the sad part of all this is the yankees will buy him this offseason.

College football is one of the best products around, and greed is the reason there isnt a true playoff to determine its champion.

The Rangers needed to get an ace into Arlington to dispell the notion that you can't pitch in Arlington. If Lee can be successful, even if he leaves, that will help the Rangers. They will have to get the ownership issue squared away if they are going to keep Lee.

I agree with pirates, the Rangers kept Sheppers, he's probably better than Blake Beavan anyways and less of a worry wart.

John Daniels needs a lifetime contract and Greenberg and Ryan need to be able to buy the team. With those 3 in charge, it will be hard to not be confident about the Rangers future. Having those 3 around next year is probably more important than having Cliff Lee around next year anyways. And, of course, if those 3 are around and Maddox stays, I'm not sure Lee leaving for New York is a guarantee anyways.

We need a salary cap, and floor in baseball. Im sick of seeing teams like the pirates and royals not spending money, around 30 mil, and teams like the yanks and sox spending 200 mil. How can it be good for baseball when there is such a gap in payroll like this. this is why the sport is an after thought in 75% of the country.

Agree with this, and the Royals were guilty of this for a long time. The last few years they have spent in the $70-75 million dollar range on payroll, and have spent a significant number in the draft and Latin America.

So the Royals, since Dayton Moore has become GM, have changed their spending habits.

Edited by Chief Dick

John Daniels needs a lifetime contract and Greenberg and Ryan need to be able to buy the team. With those 3 in charge, it will be hard to not be confident about the Rangers future. Having those 3 around next year is probably more important than having Cliff Lee around next year anyways. And, of course, if those 3 are around and Maddox stays, I'm not sure Lee leaving for New York is a guarantee anyways.

I'm on board with John Daniels needing a lifetime contract. He has an opt out clause in his contract that states if the team changes ownership he can bolt. I hope whoever owns this team next year offers him a LOOOOOONG term deal...

As far as Greenberg/Ryan, I'd love for them to own the club, but with all of the stuff going on in the next 2-3 weeks I don't know if they'll get it. If Jim Crane comes in and bids them up, I think MLB will approve him. There has been a lot of softening up towards him which does not bode well for

Greenberg/Ryan.

I'd love to have Lee here for six years, but I'm not even going to think about it. I'm just going to enjoy the next three months.

MMM not so good a start.

He travelled today, met his new team mates, the emotion of being traded, warmed up, then there was a 40 minute delay before the game honoring Michael Young. Im sure with those circumstances his concentration isnt his best. Im going to give him a pass tonight. :wacko:

I know I'm going to sound like a fanboy here, but outside of three pitches that left the stadium he looked good considering his last two days. He played all nine innings and threw I think 95 pitches. Most importantly though was the fact that he ate up some innings. And it's not as if Lee lost the game for Texas, before Kinsler hit the single in the 8th there was a no no going. The bats were ice cold tonight.

He also never had three balls in any count. That guy is amazing with his strikezone.

Wait, you sent me a PM saying not to post anywhere near you, and you respond to my thread? Yellow Submarine?

Smoak is MLB ready, but he's not a proven commodity. He may end up being Chris Davis 2.0 with his 200 batting average. No where does it say he'll turn into an all star caliber player. I like him, but the jury is still out.

And Blake is not a front of the rotation guy. I've long thought, along with the great Norm Hitzgis that Bevin is more of a middle of the rotation guy. Either way, he's not one of the top two pitching prospects in the farm system right now. Keeping those guys, as well as Scheppers is massive. Texas didn't sell out there future, as they didn't give up any top line prospects other than Smoak, but I think Texas already dropped the ball and rushed him to the big leagues.

I agree with Sgt Ryan in that I don't think Cliff Lee will be a Ranger next season (Unless we get an owner that will back up all the talk.... Greenberg has already said if he wins the bid that he'll have a payroll in line with the market... Texas is the fifth biggest market).

Scooby's Hubby, this trade is for this year. The offense is there, the defense is there, the rest of the rotation is there, the bullpen is there. This team has a chance to make a deep playoff run. I know that I would trade the following ten years in mediocrity if we got to see a World Champion in Arlington. Either way though, I don't see anything mediocre next season if Lee isn't in town.

yea, I think you are right. Smoak is replaceable b/c of the position he plays. The only thing I have is that I hopeTX can re-sign Lee or the trade will seem to be a waste if we don't win the series. Lee may not be enough to beat the Yankees if we make the playoffs. Remember, we do crappy in August b/c IMO the heat gets to the arms and endurance of the players. I don't think pitchers like to be here in late summer plus the ballpark is very homer friendly, then. I don't see him wanting to come back either, not with the offers he will be getting. Now, if we win the series he might stay ...

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

The trade is worth it if we win a series in the playoffs. Just having hope in October is something we haven't had in over a decade.

I also caught the tail end of an espn ticker in which they said Mark Cuban has been named as a potential bidder in the auction coming up for the rangers... If that's legit, holy crap...

Cuban would absolutely re-sign Lee.