[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

British Open 2010

Gopher

Lots of intriguing factors... Tiger blew away the field 10 years ago on this course, and again five years later. The Open that was held at the Old Course prior to those two was in 1995, when John Daly won a four-hole playoff after Constantino Rocca dropped a mile-long putt to tie him on the 18th.

Funny... last night I was reading a little bit about the tournament, and the previous championships played at St. Andrews in particular, and I thought to myself that Daly would be a guy that I would really enjoy sitting down with, for a beer (or Diet Coke now for him). Just sort of crossed my mind. Not sure why I thought of that at that time... it's not like he's done much on tour lately. People like to talk about famous figures that they would most likely enjoy chatting with... I guess he's on my list. He's just an interesting dude, who has been through a lot, and is definitely not afraid of doing things his way.

Well, today, I don't know how many of you watched his round, but it was a couple of putts short of incredible. Seven under par through the first dozen holes, he missed at least four more birdie putts after that, most hitting the hole or off by mere inches. Remarkably, 21-year-old Rory McIlroy shot a record-tying majors low 63 (nine under), and leads Daly by three strokes (Daly bogeyed 17 and is tied for 3rd at six under).

I can say with absolute certainty that I'll be pulling for Daly tomorrow, and hopefully through the weekend. Sure, he's had his share of bad moments in the light of the press, involving everything from alcoholism, broken marriages/relationships, as well as disastrous golf moments as well. But, if I have to choose between golfers who are battling their "demons", I'll cheer for Daly over Tiger any day.

Given that Daly lives by the "go big or go home" adage, my guess is that one of two things will happen... Daly will either be in contention on Sunday, or the wind will pick up (there was virtually no wind during the early rounds today, thus the low scores) and he'll shoot 80-85 tomorrow or Saturday. :wacko:

I've always liked Daly. You're right Gopher, he does look like someone that you'd want to have a beer with. He also looks like he's lost a ton of weight. On a side note, those where some ugly pants...even for golf. :wacko:

Lots of intriguing factors... Tiger blew away the field 10 years ago on this course, and again five years later. The Open that was held at the Old Course prior to those two was in 1995, when John Daly won a four-hole playoff after Constantino Rocca dropped a mile-long putt to tie him on the 18th.

Funny... last night I was reading a little bit about the tournament, and the previous championships played at St. Andrews in particular, and I thought to myself that Daly would be a guy that I would really enjoy sitting down with, for a beer (or Diet Coke now for him). Just sort of crossed my mind. Not sure why I thought of that at that time... it's not like he's done much on tour lately. People like to talk about famous figures that they would most likely enjoy chatting with... I guess he's on my list. He's just an interesting dude, who has been through a lot, and is definitely not afraid of doing things his way.

Well, today, I don't know how many of you watched his round, but it was a couple of putts short of incredible. Seven under par through the first dozen holes, he missed at least four more birdie putts after that, most hitting the hole or off by mere inches. Remarkably, 21-year-old Rory McIlroy shot a record-tying majors low 63 (nine under), and leads Daly by three strokes (Daly bogeyed 17 and is tied for 3rd at six under).

I can say with absolute certainty that I'll be pulling for Daly tomorrow, and hopefully through the weekend. Sure, he's had his share of bad moments in the light of the press, involving everything from alcoholism, broken marriages/relationships, as well as disastrous golf moments as well. But, if I have to choose between golfers who are battling their "demons", I'll cheer for Daly over Tiger any day.

Given that Daly lives by the "go big or go home" adage, my guess is that one of two things will happen... Daly will either be in contention on Sunday, or the wind will pick up (there was virtually no wind during the early rounds today, thus the low scores) and he'll shoot 80-85 tomorrow or Saturday. :wacko:

I would love to gamble with him ... blackjack and the sports book, that's where he and I would be.