[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Terrible veggie crop this year

Rovers

Made a batch of homemade sriracha from cayenne peppers and garlic I grew and there's a ton more peppers on the plants (they're just green right now). Also, more freaking cukes than I know what to do with. The heat wave is going to shorten the tomato season and the random storms made some split, but I'm still pretty happy over all.

probably the best year ever

Same here! I put in three 30' by 50' plots and seven 4' by 12' raised beds. We had a diaper dirtload of edible pod peas, lettuce, spinach, and cabbages earlier and now we cannot give away all the cukes we have. The bride has frozen and dried all kinds of tomatoes, peppers, and herbs. Our cantelopes are incredibly sweet (we have 24 of them sitting on our kitchen counter this morning!) and we just ate our first watermelon Tuesday. It will probably give me diabetes it was so sweet. And I did three plantings of sweet corn with the first planting being ready July 2nd. The corn barely reached 4' high and the ears were not very large, mostly around 6", but they were delicious. We just finished picking the last ears of the third planting yesterday and the wife froze bags and bags of ears. Tomatoes are doing OK, planted four varieties, but I am having problems with splitting and this morning found my first tomato hornworm in the patch. Those bastages can eat the leaves off a plant in a day. We also planted edible soybeans this year for the first time. The wife loves them at the Japanese place we like to eat and they appear to be doing great.

So while it's been hot, my garden has survived pretty well. I contribute it mostly to all the composted horse manure I have shoveled last winter and this spring. When the fall season is about done I'm going to plant a cover crop of winter wheat to plow back in next spring and haul in a couple more tons of compost. In the mean while we're planning what we want to plant for our fall crops. I love this!