[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brewing a RyePA today

jetsfan

I did a rye pale ale a few years ago, very tastey. An IPA version might over power the rye, but it's worth a shot.

I am thinking that too, I've got 3lbs of Rye in the mash, how much did you use for a 5 gallon batch?

11 lbs 2-row

3 lbs Rye

1.25 lbs Crystal 60

0.5 lb Cara-pils

05 lbs Wheat

2 oz Whole Magnum hops (60 min)

1 oz Whole Centennial (20 min)

1 oz Whole Centennial (1 min)

I've also got 2 oz Centennial whole hops I was going to dry hop with...

I am thinking that too, I've got 3lbs of Rye in the mash, how much did you use for a 5 gallon batch?

11 lbs 2-row

3 lbs Rye

1.25 lbs Crystal 60

0.5 lb Cara-pils

05 lbs Wheat

2 oz Whole Magnum hops (60 min)

1 oz Whole Centennial (20 min)

1 oz Whole Centennial (1 min)

I've also got 2 oz Centennial whole hops I was going to dry hop with...

Looks like a good recipe. The Crystal and cara pils should add enough malt sweetness for balance. That is a lot of rye, but based on the recipe, I think about right. Probelm is that rye can get a mash stuck. If you get throught that, I think you are good to go.

Interesting hop selection. Have you calculated the IBU's for this hop schedule? When I used rye, I added rice hulls, which helped to keep the mash from compacting and getting stuck, but you know your mash tun better than I.

Most of my recipes went away when my last comp went south. I have some hard copies left, including my Russian Imperial Stout which won a few awards in just one event.

Looks like a good recipe. The Crystal and cara pils should add enough malt sweetness for balance. That is a lot of rye, but based on the recipe, I think about right. Probelm is that rye can get a mash stuck. If you get throught that, I think you are good to go.

Interesting hop selection. Have you calculated the IBU's for this hop schedule? When I used rye, I added rice hulls, which helped to keep the mash from compacting and getting stuck, but you know your mash tun better than I.

Most of my recipes went away when my last comp went south. I have some hard copies left, including my Russian Imperial Stout which won a few awards in just one event.

IBU calc online gives 108, which I find hard to believe, 89.5 from the magnums. I have never gotten that high of an IBU off of whole magnums. Lautering went fine, no sticking, thankfully.

I really enjoy brewing, only entered one comp a couple years ago. I really enjoy the process and the results (obviously) and have never gotten into the comp scene.

Gotta track down a leak in my CO2 system next.

I did a Rye PA a few years ago and used about 4 pounds of rye for a 10 gallon batch, It was one of the best beers I made. A little rye goes a long way, but I find it compliments hop bitterness very well.

My buddy who helped me make it brews here: http://www.librarysportsgrilleandbrewery.com/brewery

He "stole" my recipe, but his version doesn't do it justice. :wacko:

Edited by bushwacked

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just racked it to the secondary with 2oz of whole Centennial hops, smelled great. Two weeks until kegging. mmmmmm.

Kegged it on Friday, very tasty. Excellent hop aroma and the bitterness of the rye comes through. It should age well in the keg too.

Prosit!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...