[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Some Belgian Style Beer Dinners

detlef

Couldn't sleep, so I got up and knocked these menus out. Well, I tried the beers and wrote the dishes yesterday, I just put the rest together this morning. I'm really looking forward to all of these.

Beer Geek Series 2nd Installment

American Wild Ales

Wednesday, August 4th, 2010

$40

A style of Ales associated with the use of wild yeast (known as brettanomyces) that often leads to a somewhat sour profile to the beer. These are certainly love it or hate it beers, though I’ve found some have done a fine job of integrating that tartness into other complimentary flavors to make it harder for the haters to hate. Me? I love these unique gems. We’ve assembled six beers (seven if we get enough people to sign up) that I think show a nice range of the flavors one can find. The beers will be poured in three flights of two along with appropriate dishes.

Grilled NC white shrimp with tomatillo-peach salsa

-Jolly Pumpkin Oro de Calabaza

-Allagash Confluence 2010

Aged cheese and onion filled Anaheim chile with pomegranate reduction

-Allagash Interlude 2008 and 2009 vintages

Grilled, herbed chicken with roasted tomatoes and almonds

-Ommegang Biere de Mars 2008

-Bruery Saison Rue

Allagash Brewing Company

Wednesday, August 11th, 2010

7pm

$45

Certainly among the great Belgian-style breweries in the US, Allagash has found it’s way into our cellars here with both their year round beers and their gloriously unique specialty brews. We’ll be featuring a bit of both here in a nice mix. If you were curious but not quite bold enough to take the plunge into the Wild Ales dinner listed above, this will offer you a caring introduction into the style with Interlude, perhaps the most disarming version of the style I’ve had. The Curieux, in typical Allagash fashion, is seductive but judicious in its use of bourbon barrels and the Black is a perfect stout for the warmer months. And lest we forget, both the White and Dubbel are fine examples of their styles and should provide a fine backdrop to the headliners that are commanding all the attention.

Bacalao fritter with corn and jalapeno chowder

-White Ale

Ripe cheese filled, fig leaf-wrapped tamal with cherry tomato coulis

-Interlude Ale 2009 (Wild Ale aged in Merlot and Syrah barrels)

Simple mole of duck and eggplant

-Dubbel Ale

Quail and butternut squash with almonds and garlic

-Curieux 2010 (Triple ale, aged in bourbon barrels)

Dopple bock and coffee braised beef short ribs with black chile mashed potatoes

-Black (Belgian-style stout)

Unibroue

Wednesday, August 18th, 2010

7pm

$43

Now here’s a brewery that deserves more attention. Like Allagash, and well, all the breweries featured in the dinners of early August, Unibroue specializes in Belgian ales and does an outstanding job of it. They’ve also got a great website that does a fine job of explaining both the origin of the beer styles but also of the legends behind their imaginative names. Each of these beers is unique and true to its style and you can certainly see the craftsmanship. The final beer, Quelque Chose, will blow your mind.

Salad of cherry tomatoes, radish, and celery with crispy calamari

-Blanche de Chambly (Belgian White Ale)

Grilled cola and chile-marinated chicken with heirloom shell beans

-Noire de Chambly (Black Ale)

Braised pork with coconut, tomatillo, and chile arbol

-La Fin du Monde (Golden Triple Ale)

Black mole of beef with sweet peppers and chard

-La Terrible (Abbey Ale)

Apricot crisp with vanilla ice cream and pomegranate syrup

-Quelque Chose (Blended Cherry and Brown Ales)

Edited by detlef