[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Van Halen

bushwacked

Drivel. The Stones were originally rooted in obscure American blues (see Little red Rooster), which Brian Jones had imported on singles. As for the rest of this post, the Stones have demonstrated the talent to play many different kinds of music, as have, notably, Led Zeppelin among others. It is what great bands do - they are able to write and play many kinds of music, the antithesis of being formulaic.

which is why you should appreciate the guitar play of Eddie Van Halen ... again, noone is saying VH is a better band so lighten up Francis, I am saying that the Stones were not strictly rock. You cannot compare the Disco era of the Stones to VH, and the Stones were disco just like Pink Floyd used disco.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AC/DC is not heavy metal either. I have a very extensive library and my metal is much harder. AC/DC doesn't even make the fringe of heavy metal in my collection. But as you mentioned the golden oldies I assume you may be older and probably are not hip to the Megadeaths and Metallicas of the world. Even if you made it there, did you make it to the 90's with Pantera? Not to even mention today's music.

There are more shades of metal than I can list here - death, doom, thrash, etc, etc, etc. To say AC/DC are not a metal band of one kind or another is bizarre.

Hip?

which is why you should appreciate the guitar play of Eddie Van Halen ... again, noone is saying VH is a better band so lighten up Francis, I am saying that the Stones were not strictly rock. You cannot compare the Disco era of the Stones to VH, and the Stones were disco just like Pink Floyd used disco.

And yet you listed the Stones as Mainstream (whatever that is) / Rock earlier.

There are more shades of metal than I can list here - death, doom, thrash, etc, etc, etc. To say AC/DC are not a metal band of one kind or another is bizarre.

Hip?

exactly, which is why the Stones are not a Rock band, unless Rock is selling. If disco sells then they play disco (emotional rescue etall)..In 1978 VH released their VH I album which at the time was rock. The Stones members were releasing their own albums that year (Ronnie Wood's Gimmie Some Neck). That year the Stones were touring to promote their SOme Girls album , I believe. I famous quote from the Stones tour photgrapher says the stones were more interested in getting off stage and getting in their private jet to go party.

Interseting note ... Van Halen did open for the Stones in 1978, along with Journey and the Doobie Brothers.

And yet you listed the Stones as Mainstream (whatever that is) / Rock earlier.

a\mainstream is the music played on radio stations till you cant take it any more. Mainstream is when the record label demands that stations play their songs 50 times a day. That is mainstream. 90% of the music in the world now never makes it to the radio.

Seriously. I know a lot of people drool over Eddie and his guitar playing. But what is really so special about it?

Eddie is just so distinct. You immediately know its eddie the second you hear it. I really think he is the last guitar player to change the game. The guy had legions of guitar players ripping him off. VH1 came out in 1978. Eruption may not seem like a big deal today but in 78 it had peoples jaws hitting the floor. I remember listening to my brothers album and just being astonished that a guitar can make those sounds. Other guitar players may have did the "tapping technique" before Eddie . To be honest I am not quite sure on that. But he is the first person I have ever seen/heard do it and before you know it we were all trying to learn how to do it. Ill never forget jamming with a friend of mine and I had just learned how to tap. I didnt do it great by any means at all but i could somewhat do it. I remember this kid handing me his guitar and saying do it on my guitar , I want to see if my guitar can do that :wacko:

Eddie was also very fast. There are faster out there but Eddie played fast and interesting and unique. there are shredders that rip through scales 100 miles an hour but Eddie wasnt just speed. He also was great with real high harmonics . Went people went to see VH they would just chant Eddie eddie. Dude is a guitar God. Every album people would look for Eddies solo or something new he was doing and he didnt dissapoint. Eruption, the great acoustic solo before little guitars. The crazy harmonic thing before mean street. Songs like. Im the one. Hot for Teacher. The list goes on.

In my opinion he is second only to SRV. There are many insanely good players out there past and present of all different genres. Hendrix, segovia, Vai, Brentastic, Zappa etc. Eddie will always be one of my favorites and the guy is a living legend

In my opinion he is second only to SRV. There are many insanely good players out there past and present of all different genres. Hendrix, segovia, Vai, Brentastic, Zappa etc. Eddie will always be one of my favorites and the guy is a living legend

Finally, the genius that is Brentastic is recognized...LoL.

I remember the controversy that when Jimi played in London, Clapton was crying at the end of the show b/c he saw Jimi was so much better than him.

Not crying but genuinely shocked at the sheer originality and skill, so the story goes. If Eddie VH was an original, Hendrix not only wrote the book, he came from a completely different universe.

I have a collection of over 500 cd's, 300 cassettes, 25 or so 8tracks, and about 100 or so records (vinyl) I have sticky fingers on vinyl, with the zipper and underwear still inside, among other Stones records. Do you have any Stones vinyls?

Not to mention the 5,000 songs on my apple account

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

Not crying but genuinely shocked at the sheer originality and skill, so the story goes. If Eddie VH was an original, Hendrix not only wrote the book, he came from a completely different universe.

I truly believe that Jimi and Eddie would have loved to play with each other. And Jimi was definatelty Eddie's inspiration to become an original. Eddie just came from a generation where Blues was already covered and the new sound was rock, real rock.

Just an observation... I want people to note that it not politics alone that get people into heated battles (with name calling) in the huddle...

Oh, and BTW, Eddie Van Halen is a Penny Laneing GOD and has put out some of the greatest guitar solos I have ever heard. Even on the 5150 album, the solos in Hot Summer Nights and 5150 are freaking incredible.

I guess you want your Bill Haley and the Comets 45 back? That might be rocking around the clock but it aint rock. It may be rockabilly, but it aint rock. Next thing you are gonna tell me the Beach Boys is rock. Please, pet shop sounds may be a great album, but it aint rock. Sorry to exclude yur Richie Valens. La La La Bamba. Please.

you know, the best argument I can think of against van halen is that clueless tools like guy this think they are so awesome.

also, cowboys fans seem to like them disproportionately. coincidence? you decide.

you know, the best argument I can think of against van halen is that clueless tools like guy this think they are so awesome.

also, cowboys fans seem to like them disproportionately. coincidence? you decide.

:wacko:

I voted for Van Halen before I decided to vote against them...

I have a collection of over 500 cd's, 300 cassettes, 25 or so 8tracks, and about 100 or so records (vinyl) I have sticky fingers on vinyl, with the zipper and underwear still inside, among other Stones records. Do you have any Stones vinyls?

Not to mention the 5,000 songs on my apple account

You are a God. We all bow down before your musical accumen. Never before on the face of the earth has there been one so in touch with all things music. We tremble and quake in your presence. You are the most interesting man in the world, nevermind that Dos Equis guy.

Just an observation... I want people to note that it not politics alone that get people into heated battles (with name calling) in the huddle...

Oh, and BTW, Eddie Van Halen is a Penny Laneing GOD and has put out some of the greatest guitar solos I have ever heard. Even on the 5150 album, the solos in Hot Summer Nights and 5150 are freaking incredible.

according to Azazello we are all tools. Takes one to know one I guess. Noew that I know how simple minded you are, I can now reply to your posts accordingly.

You are a God. We all bow down before your musical accumen. Never before on the face of the earth has there been one so in touch with all things music. We tremble and quake in your presence. You are the most interesting man in the world, nevermind that Dos Equis guy.

Grudge, It was asked of me how many albums I have. Please follow the thread instead of just trying to make me look as dumb as you are.