[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

RB Jamaal Charles

DMD

Jamaal Charles  

218 members have voted

1. 1. What round would you look to get Charles in a 12 team league?

• First round for the stud boy
    • Second round - really good but too much risk for earlier
    • Third round - I'll take him if he falls this far
    • Fourth round (AKA never) Jones kills his value to me.

One of the most interesting players in drafts this summer is Jamaal Charles who I have seen go as early as 1.06 and as late as 3.05.

What are your thoughts?

Charles rushed for 1120 yards on only 190 carries with seven rushing scores. He added 40 receptions for 297 yards and one more TD. And he did almost all of that from week ten onward. He had five games over 100 rush yards and ended the year in Denver with 259 yards on 25 carries. He shouldered almost the entire load from week nine on after Larry Johnson was sent packing. What's not to love about that?

Thomas Jones was added to the team though. A guy who merely had 1402 rush yards on 331 carries with 14 rushing TDs.

Jones averaged 4.2 YPC last year. Charles had 5.9 yards.

What to do? Better yet - how early of a plunge will you take on Charles or do you secretly covet Jones later in the draft?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize that but I am going to do many more of these and wanted them to address the most interesting players or situations. I picked him and gave him a poll since people had been recently discussing him. I am going to keep this pinned for a few weeks for people who newly show up to the boards.

:wacko: Stop being such a Chief.

:tup:

I realize that but I am going to do many more of these and wanted them to address the most interesting players or situations. I picked him and gave him a poll since people had been recently discussing him. I am going to keep this pinned for a few weeks for people who newly show up to the boards.

Classic!

Not sure who else you plan to spotlight, DMD, but Brandon Marshall is another guy that seems to have a lot of variation in where he's drafted. Same for Shonn Greene...

I also voted 3rd round on Charles. I guess what it boils down to for me is that I'm not sold on him as an RB1, so I'd look to snag him as an RB2 which is probably the 3rd round. It is possible, if I were lucky enough to get a top 3 pick and had an MJD or an AP, that I'd take a chance on Charles at the end of the 2nd round since I already have solidity at RB. Why not swing for the fences then?

Edited by MTSuper7

I voted 4. I do believe he will likely live up to the hype, but I see it as a risky pick. After 190 carries last year, he needed shoulder surgery. While Jones clearly wore down last year, he is a remarkable physical specimen, and reports say he has looked good, fast even.

It boils down to this: Ball distribution, durabilty and GL carries. Jones is a very good blocker and knows how to pick off blitzes extremely well. He often hestiates too much picking a hole, but at the GL he just hits the designated hole with speed and power. Haley refuses to offer any insight. Charles has proven that he is explosive, but he does put the ball on the ground. Jones RARELY fumbles.

Will Haley rely more on Jones when the Chiefs are in their own end and at the opposing team's GL? And use Charles between the thirties? How many times did we see Jamaal Lewis get a breather inside the twenty after racking up 40 yards on a drive? I fear Charles might be used the same way. I'll let another owner take that risk this early in a draft.

I have the same reservations as many others it seems. Although I believe he has the skill set to be a stud I just need to see a greater body of work. Couple that with the fact that the Chiefs brought in Jones, who doesn't appear to be done by any stretch, and you have reasonable doubt.

In several mocks I have either taken him or seen him go in the 3rd or 4th and I have no problem at all grabbing him there especially after I've gone WR/WR at or near the 1/2 turn. I don't know if he'll actualy drop that far but I'd be thrilled to pair him with a similarly ranked RB with two WR1s already in the stable. I can't buy into taking him earlier than that though, unless of course I simply can't see value elsewhere. That hasn't been the case so far.

Edited by BS Miscreant

I'm in an "Experts Draft" where he was taken this morning at #9 overall in a 1 PPR league by a website to remain nameless. 8th Running Back taken, before players like Fitz, Moss, Brees and Rodgers (6pts per TD for QBs).

He felt he got a deal since he had him as his #4 RB...myself I wouldn't have considered him until the second round at the earliest and that is if RBs got real shallow.

I voted 3rd round, although I could be talked into the 2nd depending on circumstances. Thomas Jones needs an O-line to make holes for him, whereas I think Charles can create more magic on his own. As someone previously posted in another Charles thread, a 60/40 split with Jones still leaves plenty of points for JC.

If JC has the exact same stats in 2010 as 2009 (with more games played to get them), he's a top 15 RB in a 12-team non-PPR league and will score about as many points as a #5-8 WR. That makes a mighty fine RB2. The part of this that scares the bejeezus out of me, though, is Weis. I don't trust that man farther than I can throw him.

Taking JC in the first round is more risk than I'm interested in.

I was torn between 2nd and 3rd. In a PPR league, if he's in the 3rd and you need a RB2 and don't buy into the whole "you can get a RB2 later, 'cuz of the whole RBBC thing" idea, then you gotta take the leap. Hell, if you took your WR1 in the first and he's there in the 2nd and he's up against guys like Ryan Matthews or Shonn Greene, maybe you take the minor risk...

I was torn between 2nd and 3rd. In a PPR league, if he's in the 3rd and you need a RB2 and don't buy into the whole "you can get a RB2 later, 'cuz of the whole RBBC thing" idea, then you gotta take the leap. Hell, if you took your WR1 in the first and he's there in the 2nd and he's up against guys like Ryan Matthews or Shonn Greene, maybe you take the minor risk...

My thinking also.

yup nicely put

One of the most interesting players in drafts this summer is Jamaal Charles who I have seen go as early as 1.06 and as late as 3.05.

What are your thoughts?

Gary Brown.

For you whippersnappers and/or those who don't remember, Brown was a RB for Houston who cracked 1000 yds in only half a season back when...people were pissing their pants about how he would tear it up the next year. 2000 yds coming up! Why not? He got 1000 in half a season!

He promptly fell off a cliff after that. (I think he had one more decent year...about 5 yrs later)

Since then I've called those 1 hit wonders (or candidates ie someone who tears it up for a short period of time and is hyped for the next year) the "Gary Brown Syndrome" and while I understand the temptation I won't draft a guy very high based on half a season ish and see Jones spelling him a lot, possibly even taking over. I don't think they brought Jones in to hang out "just in case."

Edited by BeeR

Yahoo just wrote an article stating TJ was appointed the NO. 1 spot..

o well i guess this is a lesson best learned before i draft. DO NOT plan a draft strategy around one player to take in the second round. I think ill just rank them all and pick best available like the norm thing to do.

:off to the cheet sheet:

Yahoo just wrote an article stating TJ was appointed the NO. 1 spot..

o well i guess this is a lesson best learned before i draft. DO NOT plan a draft strategy around one player to take in the second round. I think ill just rank them all and pick best available like the norm thing to do.

:off to the cheet sheet:

Charles doesn't lose any value here...he still is what he is to this offense and will be used accordingly..

how successful do you think TJ will be behind a weak OL when he only managed a bit above 3YPC behind one of the best OL's in the NFL....a full year ago...

Charles doesn't lose any value here...he still is what he is to this offense and will be used accordingly..

how successful do you think TJ will be behind a weak OL when he only managed a bit above 3YPC behind one of the best OL's in the NFL....a full year ago...

I like the upside and PPR value in my leauge but think its hard to take him as my RB1 or my RB2 now that he isnt the starter. I had him late last year and I know hes got the ability to produce more points but I dont think I can spend a second round pick on him. Thoughts?

Edited by 561427

I like the upside and PPR value in my leauge but think its hard to take him as my RB1 or my RB2 now that he isnt the starter. I had him late last year and I know hes got the ability to produce more points but I dont think I can spend a second round pick on him. Thoughts?

I would take him in the late 3rd or early 4th if he's there....

I'd solidify other roster spots before RB2 this year because I think there is more value elsewhere and then I can stack up on the other RB's I like and hopefully strike gold with one of them after I take my RB1 early - potentially...

but then again, who knows how the draft is going to go....

maybe that was his stat line for the 2nd half of the season then, I just know that TJ's mileage is catching up with him...

I wouldn't overvalue either of these guys, but I'd definitely rather have Charles between the two considering my local is PPR and favors RB's who catch heavily...so he can be a good enough RB2...

Thomas Jones is listed on the Cheifs roster as the starter but they will play the guy who gives them the best chance to win according to Player News on the huddles home page. I think I'll stay away from this situation come draft day. Unless I can get good value and by good value I'm talking late 3rd round early 4th.

Edited by HutOne