[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Auction League?

ebartender

I was asked to participate in an auction/keeper league this season. I have never done an auction style draft and was wondering what your opinion is and what strategies seems to work best.

I've done several in the past... best advice, grab a couple of the guys you want to the most... some people try to sit back and wait and see all the top guys go off the board, then they look around, they have a lot of money left to spend, but no first rounders left..... the key thing to remember is that you can't take any of that money home!!. get some of the guys you want and dont blow your budget on 3 players.

Someone prep the tissues for loaf - sniffle

Anyway......IMO DMD's article here is a great summary of why they are far better than "snake" drafts: http://www.thehuddle.com/classics/02auction.php

Some will grab the top 2 or 3 guys and settle for mostly the best "scraps" they can get after that. Others lay back awhile and let people do that, then swoop in and dominate the 2d or 3d tier-ish area. Some wait even longer, going for depth and bargains nearer the end. Some are RB ho's, some WR ho's (in PPR anyway). Some are all about best value. Some will go for a very balanced approach. etc etc. Bottom line:I have seen pretty much all strats succeed and fail. That's another great thing about it, ie there are many ways to "work" your draft and end up with a great team. Because of this and other obvious reasons (eg bids ending up higher or lower than you expected), it's important to stay flexible.

One thing I would say is a good idea no matter what: generally try to nominate people you don't want. It ensures people will spend money on those guys and so weaken their purchasing power going forward.

Edited by BeeR

The are several Huddlers in an auction league. Some yahoo named Thews won it last year. PM him and ask him how he did it.

I've been doing auction leagues for the last 5 years now and I'll never do another snake draft. Auctions are such a blast. You have a shot at drafting any player and so you're always up in the draft. You don't have the agonizing waits for some ignorant buffoon to make his selection every round. Everything flows and it's got all the energy of a hot craps table or a cockfight.

As for strategy, you basically do what you do in snake drafts. I.e. project performance and then rank players. The big point here is you need to be much more flexible, so you can capitalize on opportunity. There's no single path to success. Most new auction players either blow their wad early or leave with cash. Make sure you're awake and alert in the draft so you always know where you are. It also helps to give yourself a budget range of how much you want to spend on an entire position.

So for a $100 league, maybe you decide you want to spend about 50 on RBs, 33 on WRs, 10 on QB, 5 TE, 1 K, 1 D.

I've been doing auction leagues for the last 5 years now and I'll never do another snake draft. Auctions are such a blast. You have a shot at drafting any player and so you're always up in the draft. You don't have the agonizing waits for some ignorant buffoon to make his selection every round.

That's the reaction of I'd say about 90% of all people who switch to auctions. I am baffled and amazed they don't dominate FF yet.

That's the reaction of I'd say about 90% of all people who switch to auctions. I am baffled and amazed they don't dominate FF yet.

Generally speaking, auctions are a bit more time consuming and involved strategically speaking than drafts. IMO, this leads the more "hardcore" FFers to truly enjoy them more, while the more casual FFer, which I assume is the majority of the market, prefer the relative simplicity of a draft.

Also, one strategic thing to take note of is if the aucton cap is for the auction oly or if it carries over into the regular season as a salary cap. If the former, then yes, no point conseving any money and be willing to slightly overpay for players you really want, if the latter, there is some additional strategy involved in determining if it is worth it to conserve some space so that you can acquire free agents without having to drop slightly better, higher priced players to make room for them.