[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

greece in a death spiral

dmarc117

And for the specific consequences of austerity, Germany's Spiegel has done a terrific summary of what it defines as a "death spiral" for the Mediterranean country: "Stores are closing, tax revenues are falling and unemployment has hit an unbelievable 70 percent in some places. Frustrated workers are threatening to strike back. A mixture of fear, hopelessness and anger is brewing in Greek society." Spiegel quotes a a typical Greek: ""If you take away my family's bread, I'll take you down -- the government needs to know that. And don't call us anarchists if that happens! We're heads of our families and we're desperate." All those who think violent strikes in the PIIGS are a thing of the past, we have news for you. The (pseudo) vacation season is over, and millions of workers are coming back. They may not have money, but they have lots of free time, lots of unemployment, and even more pent up anger. Things are about to get very heated once again, first in Greece, and soon after, everywhere else.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greece is in trouble. If the people want to burn their own country down, I say let them. Austerity is a fancy-sounding word, but its an apt term for the situation.

Simple enough. Greece revolts, tourism (their main income) stops, the EU boots them out of the Euro and rings their border to contain the trouble. Greece burns, who gives a crap?

Greece is in trouble. If the people want to burn their own country down, I say let them.

Like the tea party?

Why not? Austerity is merely forced frugality: coming to grips with the fact that you can't spend money you don't have.

I'm sorry isn't that what keeps the US afloat?

I was thinking about this today. Europeans are very frugal individually, but expect great expenses from their govt, while the US beleives the exact opposite

And perhaps beneficial pour encourager les autres

:wacko:

My day care bill for my three year old in france is 3 Euros 60 a day. I'm good with that....

Like the tea party?

I'm sorry isn't that what keeps the US afloat?

I was thinking about this today. Europeans are very frugal individually, but expect great expenses from their govt, while the US beleives the exact opposite

:wacko:

My day care bill for my three year old in france is 3 Euros 60 a day. I'm good with that....

The Tea Party doesn't want to burn their country down. In this analogy, they aren't the rioting Greek idiots: they're other Europeans trying to explain basic fiscal responsibility to the Greek idiots who do.

And yes: irresponsible US government spending is currently keeping the US afloat, to a certain extent. The tea partiers oppose that, and would prefer to see the country (government and citizens) face reality and take its medicine.

The core message of the Tea Party (i.e., necessary albeit painful economic reality) isn't nearly as retarded as the people who are in charge of the public face of the Tea Party.