[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Deconstructed French Onion Soup

Kid Cid

This turned out even better than I thought it would. When you take a forkful of all the individual pieces, the flavor of French Onion Soup shines right through at you. A very unique experience.

http://www.corrundum.net/post/Deconstructe...Onion-Soup.aspx

In general, I'm not a fan of the movement. So much so that I basically apologized for doing a mole deconstructed for a recent beer dinner but thought, given the nature of the meal and the fact that the beer just kept throwing out classic flavors of mole poblano, one at a time (the beer was Brother Thelonious btw), I would do it.

However, they're always taking a dish (well, like mole actually) whose primary charm comes from the melding of the flavors. The whole is better the sum, kind of thing. and then they're mucking that all up. At best, you end up with a dish nearly as cool but that takes a whole lot more work.

When we had "New New England Clam Chowder" at Mini Bar in DC, one of my dining companions put it perfectly, "I can assure you that I've never tasted clam chowder and wished it was more like this. And this dish did not change that opinion."

That said, I'm sure your dish was delicious. I mean, onions, beef stock, cheese... What the hell? If I can add anything, I would have fried the bread in olive oil (or butter) on each side before topping with the onions and cheese.

For the most part I agree detlef. It really seems more of a fad or gimmick than real culinary inspiration. However, it was something that just struck my fancy as something to try. I guess that it really is an entrance to the whole molecular gastronomy thing which also seems touch gimmicky to me as well.

BTW, I like the frying of the bread idea and will have to give it a shot.

DELISH CID!!!!! HOLY COW!!! Call me a simple country boy but, WOW!! Absolutely amazing! Followed the directions to the T and it turned out great! I can't wait to throw this one down very very soon. KUDOS amigo!

Gracias Pete. Sometimes it is fun to play with your food.

This killed me. As soon as I saw the headline I knew what the inspiration was. My wife and I talked about a better way to do that dish at the first commercial break after that episode's service. We thought maybe a steak & onion sandwich on baguette, with cheese and a jus. Definitely going to try your recipe though.

Peace

policy

This killed me. As soon as I saw the headline I knew what the inspiration was. My wife and I talked about a better way to do that dish at the first commercial break after that episode's service. We thought maybe a steak & onion sandwich on baguette, with cheese and a jus. Definitely going to try your recipe though.

Peace

policy

I'd be really interested in hearing your ideas on how to do it with the steak. I'm thinking that it would overpower the onion flavor.