[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Reggie Wayne

ebartender

So I had the #3 pick in my main local this weekend (PPR). I took MJD at 3 and figured I would grab either an elite WR if available or the best RB in round 2. When it came back to me I couldn't believe that Reggie Wayne was still there. Roddy White, Miles Austin, Calvin Johnson, and Marques Colston all went before Wayne. Am I missing something or did I luck out?

I wound up getting Greg Jennings and Shonn Greene in the 3rd and 4th rounds. I probably should have taken Ryan Matthews instead of Jennings.

While I admit Wayne is good, I just think he is overvalued with Garcon and Collie on the team. Too many passes going to too many guys IMHO.

Edited by BigTen

Even with Clark, Garcon and Collie last year, Wayn still had over 100 receptions...I took

him in the 1st round today with the 11th pick and paired him up with R. White in the 2nd...

There is no doubt Wayne is great. I am simply talking differences on that top level. And to me, just personel opinion, I think some of the other guys near the top will be better.

But of course he is great and will be top 5-7 at worst.

Edited by giantsfan

Even with Clark, Garcon and Collie last year, Wayn still had over 100 receptions...I took

him in the 1st round today with the 11th pick and paired him up with R. White in the 2nd...

That's not good rationale for selecting Wayne so highly. You're comparing a top WR in his 30s to 2 very young talented guys. They are on opposite sides of the curve right now. Every year that goes by increases Garcon's and Collie's potential with their gains in experience while detracting from Wayne as he ages. It would make sense that both Garcon and Collie would get larger slices of the same pie, meaning someone else's slices are being reduced. I don't see Manning's 571 attempts last year going up.

I see Wayne as having a year like 2008 rather than 2009. Not a bad year by any means, but not quite a FF WR1 year either.

In my dynasty, I was more than willing to trade off Wayne for a 1st round pick. I just don't see Wayne getting the numbers this year. Garcon and Collie just look dominant and Mannings clutch Clark should have a big year.

Just remember the day that Marvin Harrison went from stud to dud. To much risk of Manning finding a new boy toy for me.

I think too much weight is being put on Garcon and Collie. With AGonzo back he could eat into both of their production, making Wayne the only sure thing at WR. Wayne is only 32, which isn't old at all by WR standards. I think he is being grossly undervalued and I currently have him ranked #4 overall after AJ, Moss and Calvin. Having the best QB in football means he has less question marks than some of the other top guys, IMO.

I think too much weight is being put on Garcon and Collie. With AGonzo back he could eat into both of their production, making Wayne the only sure thing at WR. Wayne is only 32, which isn't old at all by WR standards. I think he is being grossly undervalued and I currently have him ranked #4 overall after AJ, Moss and Calvin. Having the best QB in football means he has less question marks than some of the other top guys, IMO.

:wacko:

Gonzalez's return would likely inhibit Collie's production, not Garcon's or really, Wayne's either.

The fact remains that in offenses like the Colts, Saints and Packers there are so many good options, the QB will just go with who's open, who's being covered by the weakest defender, who's "hot", etc.

Some good analysis in previous posts. Garcon is probably the value in the Colt WR group, with whoever emerges from Collie or Gonzalez as that "third, possession-type" WR being a sleeper pick in PPR leagues.

I'm avoiding Wayne this year.

Edited by darin3

Guess I am one of the few that still value Wayne as a top-5 WR.

I have never been in love with the Indy running game, and going into this year, I still feel much the same way. It has been, and always will be, a pass-first team. That being said, I don't really see much changing this year from last. While Collie, Garcon and Gonz may indeed be dividing the WR pie a little further, Wayne is still the main target in this offense, and the one Manning has the most comfort and faith in. If Manning puts up his usual 4000+ yards, I don't see any reason Waynes not good for 1100+ of them.

I am hoping he falls to me in my local draft as an early 2nd round pick (2.04)...and from the sound of things on this board, it might happen

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

:wacko:

Gonzalez's return would likely inhibit Collie's production, not Garcon's or really, Wayne's either.

The fact remains that in offenses like the Colts, Saints and Packers there are so many good options, the QB will just go with who's open, who's being covered by the weakest defender, who's "hot", etc.

Some good analysis in previous posts. Garcon is probably the value in the Colt WR group, with whoever emerges from Collie or Gonzalez as that "third, possession-type" WR being a sleeper pick in PPR leagues.

I'm avoiding Wayne this year.

What are you basing this on, Darin? Last years stats? Wayne caught 100 balls and had 10 TD's. I could see his catches going down a tad, but I think he's one of the more sure things at WR. Wanye has been as steady as they come and I personally don't see that changing.

I have never been in love with the Indy running game, and going into this year, I still feel much the same way. It has been, and always will be, a pass-first team. That being said, I don't really see much changing this year from last. While Collie, Garcon and Gonz may indeed be dividing the WR pie a little further, Wayne is still the main target in this offense, and the one Manning has the most comfort and faith in. If Manning puts up his usual 4000+ yards, I don't see any reason Waynes not good for 1100+ of them.

I am hoping he falls to me in my local draft as an early 2nd round pick (2.04)...and from the sound of things on this board, it might happen

I have never owned Wayne, but always noticed he would kill owners at crucial times...but then again, that can also be the FF owners fault for not putting a sound team around Wayne to begin with...

I have an unusual good feeling about him, but I just hope I can get him as a WR2 as I think he's an ideal WR2 right now as he's due to fall short as a WR1...and he might be around 8th on my list, but he hasn't fallen as far as Fitz has...

This^^

Does anyone remember when Wayne started producing and Harrison was still the guy? I do because I was drafting Wayne as my value pick and it worked but Harrison was also still producing as a #1 for a few years until he fell off. Wayne is no where near falling off, he's still moderately young in WR terms (under 35). What I'm saying is that Wayne will still produce top 5ish numbers even though I see Garcon as the value pick now. Wayne is Manning's 'guy', Manning always has a guy and that's still Wayne. Draft him as your #1 with confidence.

Here is how I sum up Wayne.

I agree he is still a top 5-7 WR. My point is that other than Andre I think the next 6 or so are all on the same level.

One may be better than the other, but who knows.

Moss, Wayne, Calvin (my choice for the top guy on this level), White, Austin, Marshall are all around the same heading in for the most part.

I may go:

Andre

Calvin

Moss (8 TD's in 3 games. 5 TD's in the other 13 games last year)

Wayne

Austin

White

Marshall

But these 6 guys are all real close after AJ IMO at least.

Edited by giantsfan

This^^

Does anyone remember when Wayne started producing and Harrison was still the guy? I do because I was drafting Wayne as my value pick and it worked but Harrison was also still producing as a #1 for a few years until he fell off. Wayne is no where near falling off, he's still moderately young in WR terms (under 35). What I'm saying is that Wayne will still produce top 5ish numbers even though I see Garcon as the value pick now. Wayne is Manning's 'guy', Manning always has a guy and that's still Wayne. Draft him as your #1 with confidence.

I like him, but if he was my #1, I wouldn't be as easy as I would if I had Calvin, Moss, AJ or White....I still think he's capable of 100 catches, but I think he's a lock for the 82-92 range unless he misses a game or more, then it changes that, obviously..

I also don't know where the idea that a WR over 30 is done...especially one coming of what was still a borderline-elite season as far as production goes....

30 or more for a RB is bad, a WR that is just over 30 has probably another 2-3 years of production before they fall off unless they are an all-time great....and a QB is sometimes just really hitting his stride at 30...a 30yo WR isn't the same as a 30yo RB...

I like him, but if he was my #1, I wouldn't be as easy as I would if I had Calvin, Moss, AJ or White....I still think he's capable of 100 catches, but I think he's a lock for the 82-92 range unless he misses a game or more, then it changes that, obviously..

I also don't know where the idea that a WR over 30 is done...especially one coming of what was still a borderline-elite season as far as production goes....

30 or more for a RB is bad, a WR that is just over 30 has probably another 2-3 years of production before they fall off unless they are an all-time great....and a QB is sometimes just really hitting his stride at 30...a 30yo WR isn't the same as a 30yo RB...

Not sure if you're inferring I said that, but I didn't, I said just the opposite (that the WR 'hump' age is more like 35 and Wayne isn't close).

Marvin Harris's production tanked at 34 when Wayne became Mannings favorite.

I took Wayne as my wr2. Being a Colts fan for a long time I believe the emergence of Garcon will help Wayne. He can no longer be doubled and Manning can get the ball to him with his eyes closed.

+1

Too many people try to read too much into "there's too many people to throw to". Well, when you have a talented bunch of WRs and the leagues best QB in a pass happy offense, who's going to get the first look every time - obviously your #1 wideout. And with good WRs across the field, it doesn't make sense to double one WR where you leave another talented one open to tear up defenses all day long.

With that said, I don't have Wayne in any of my leagues this year - not cause I didn't want him, but he wasn't there in the second in all 3 drafts I was in.