[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Egg Rolls

untateve

I made about 30 egg rolls today.

Filling:

ground pork

shrimp

onion

scallion

cabbage

carrot

bean sprouts

ginger

sake

five-spice

sesame oil

sugar

soy sauce

s & p to taste

I made three dipping sauces: plum, apricot, orange. We also had a store bought sweet chili sauce. I didn't like the plum sauce and the orange was well too sweet. The apricot was quite nice.

These turned out very well. I was pleased. Next time I plan to double the recipe and freeze a bunch of them.

Gotta love egg rolls.

You should try them the way they eat them in Vietnam. It's called Cha Gio. The recipe for the rolls themselves is slightly different but not different enough to bother changing what you did. The difference is how they're served.

Take some grated carrots and daikon radish and marinate for at least a 1/2 hour in rice vinegar, fish sauce, and sweet chili.

Then take some mint and cilantro, green leaf lettuce, and the pickled carrot mix and lay them out on platters. Fry the egg rolls and cut them in to 1/3s. Then eat them by taking a piece of egg roll and wrapping it up in the lettuce with a bit of cilantro, mint, and the pickles. Dip this bundle into a sauce made from the same stuff you marinated the carrots in.

Not exactly how it's done, but pretty damned close and very delicious. The combo of fresh, crisp veggies with the rich, salty egg roll is perfect.

This egg roll thread has got me fired up to make some. In the numerous recipes I've seen they call for using either egg roll wraps or wonton wraps.

So, whats the difference and what works best?. What type wraps did you use unta?.

Edited by slambo

This egg roll thread has got me fired up to make some. In the numerous recipes I've seen they call for using either egg roll wraps or wonton wraps.

So, whats the difference and what works best?. What type wraps did you use unta?.

I used egg roll wraps. I think Wonton wraps are smaller but there are others who are more knowledgeable than me.

I used egg roll wraps. I think Wonton wraps are smaller but there are others who are more knowledgeable than me.

yes... wonton skins are smaller, but texturally very close to egg roll wrappers. my preference is spring roll wraps. thinner dough and get a different crispness to them.

Gotta love egg rolls.

You should try them the way they eat them in Vietnam. It's called Cha Gio. The recipe for the rolls themselves is slightly different but not different enough to bother changing what you did. The difference is how they're served.

Take some grated carrots and daikon radish and marinate for at least a 1/2 hour in rice vinegar, fish sauce, and sweet chili.

Then take some mint and cilantro, green leaf lettuce, and the pickled carrot mix and lay them out on platters. Fry the egg rolls and cut them in to 1/3s. Then eat them by taking a piece of egg roll and wrapping it up in the lettuce with a bit of cilantro, mint, and the pickles. Dip this bundle into a sauce made from the same stuff you marinated the carrots in.

Not exactly how it's done, but pretty damned close and very delicious. The combo of fresh, crisp veggies with the rich, salty egg roll is perfect.

We do this at a local Vietnamese restaurant.... mmm.... definitely nice the way the different textures and temperatures come together.

• 1 year later...

About a week ago I went on an egg roll bender and cooked up 90+ egg rolls over a 4 day period. I experimented with different styles of wrappers including egg roll wraps, spring roll wraps, and lumpia wrappers. My favorite wrapper turned out to be Wei-Chuan brand spring roll wrappers. They were very easy to seperate and work with and when cooked the texture was very crisp. The lumpia wrappers (more like an undersized crepe and very thin) were fragile and difficult to work with. I now understand why lumpia's are typically smaller and looser than egg or spring rolls. I made 6 or 7 different batches experimenting with various fillings including:

- pork tenderloin , marinated overnight in Soy Vay Hoisin Marinade then grilled on my Weber using indirect heat

- boneless, skinless chicken thighs, marinated in teriyaki sauce, agave sweetner, granulated garlic, onion powder, and hot sesame oil and cooked like the pork

- shrimp

- carrots

- bean sprouts

- regular and Napa cabbage

- white and green onions

- celery

- baby bok choy hearts

- zucchini

- red bell peppers

- brussel sprouts

- bamboo shoots (canned)

- water chestnuts (canned)

- shi_taki mushrooms

- fresh ginger and garlic

By far my favorite batch was:

julienned pork

julienned carrot

julienned zucchini

bean sprouts

green and white onions

baby bok choy hearts(quartered)

brussel sprouts(cut into small wedges)

shredded regular and Napa cabbage

shi_taki mushrooms

copious amounts of minced ginger and garlic

Took all ingredients except the pork and did a quick stir fry using Lee Kum Kee brand stir fry sauce, Soy Vay Hoisin marinade, soy sauce, and hot sesame oil. Also added salt, pepper, white pepper. Added the pork at the very end. When finished I put the mix into a wire bowl to let excess liquid drain and also cool before making the rolls.

Last but not least, dipping sauces. I had a sweet spicey garlic sauce, a plum sauce, and my favorite spicey Chinese mustard. I got the mustard in powder form and mixed it up a half hour before consuming.

All in all, while there was a lot of prep work, the whole process was fun and easy.

On a side note, spicey Chinese mustard on a grilled cheese sammich is awesome.

Gotta love egg rolls.

Is that what you were eating in that tv clip about your restaurant that was posted a few years back? :thinking:

• 2 weeks later...