[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Trivial wine question for the connoisseur

Thews40

the shape of the glass can have some effect on how concentrated or diffuse the aromas are when they hit your nose, which certainly does affect your taste experience. but all of the shapes are available pretty cheap, or expensive -- and that probably mostly just reflects on the quality of the actual glass and doesn't affect the taste much.

Yes. And it effects other things:

-the bouquet (aroma) - the more narrow the mouth, the more it concentrates the aroma.

-the flavor (I've read that this is because the shape of the glass directs the wine to different areas of the the mouth/tongue (which is why there are different types of glasses for different types of wine (red vs white among others)

-it effects oxidation rate (you want a red to oxidate, so the bowl/mouth is wider for a "red wine glass". Conversely, you typically do not want a white wine to oxidate, hence the narrower bowl)

Now, I don't think that the casual drinker will appreciate the differences much. A rube like you has no chance. :wacko:

In any event, you can buy inexpensive, virtually unbreakable, stemless wine glasses that you can put in the dishwasher.

Edited by Furd

Check out the Schott Zwiesel series. They're pretty tough for great quality glasses.

Also, make some friends with someone in the restaurant industry that will let you piggyback on their Riedel Restaurant series orders. Same shapes as the Vinum series but quite a bit cheaper and at that point you're into a leaded crystal vs non-leaded argument of which I don't really think there is a winner.

99% of the time that someone gets served wine at my house they are going to get it in a glass that I've gotten from a wine tasting somewhere. Almost all of my wine glasses carry the logo of one winery or another. That being said, almost all of them conform to the traditional red wine shapes.

Absolutely it makes a difference. There's actually a company out there Riedel who makes a glass for each style of wine. May seem over the top but I did go to a tasting they sponsored where we tried the same wine from a high quality general purpose glass vs one of theirs designed for the grape and the difference was astonishing.

That said, you certainly don't need to go that far.

I use Stozle Oberglass for my places and spend (wholesale) about $3 a stem for them. They're sturdy and work just fine.

A few things to keep in mind, You want a glass that's big enough that you never have to fill it more than 1/3 to 1/2.

Also, avoid beaded rims. Cheap glassware add these for durability but they knock down the aroma. You want sheer rims for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

oh yeah... hugh difference. when dining at the first restaurant i worked, the somm started to pour and stopped...said he'd be right back with the right glasses. we were eager to get into the wine and told him to just pour. he asked us to wait and brought over 5 different red wine glasses. poured the same wine into each. remarkable differences for bouquet and flavor.

In sum, in a large sample of blind tastings, we find that the correlation between price and overall rating is small and negative. Unless they are experts, individuals on average enjoy more expensive wines slightly less. Our results suggest that both price tags and expert recommendations may be poor guides for non-expert wine consumers who care about the intrinsic qualities of the wine.

Not exactly on topic but interesting none-the-less.

Link to study

Edited by Puddy

oh yeah... hugh difference. when dining at the first restaurant i worked, the somm started to pour and stopped...said he'd be right back with the right glasses. we were eager to get into the wine and told him to just pour. he asked us to wait and brought over 5 different red wine glasses. poured the same wine into each. remarkable differences for bouquet and flavor.

Nailed it right here.

Wife and I did a taste test with some friends (all wine drinkers, but no experts). Used the same wine in cheap glasses, Tritan, and Riedel. Everybody could tell the difference easily between cheap and the others. Most could tell that the Riedel was better than the Tritan.

Wife and I did a taste test with some friends (all wine drinkers, but no experts). Used the same wine in cheap glasses, Tritan, and Riedel. Everybody could tell the difference easily between cheap and the others. Most could tell that the Riedel was better than the Tritan.

Was it a blind taste test?

One of us had to know, so not blind for me, but i've done it blind before and the difference is amazing.

I'm an idiot. I read your response wrong and thought you did different wines in a cheap glass. I'll try to remember to only post in beer threads from this point forward.