[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Troy Tulowitzki

Gopher

If it seems like the guy is averaging a homer and two RBI per game this month, it's because he is... In his last 13 games, he's got 11 HR and 25 RBI (including 2 HR and 7 RBI tonight). Tulo missed half of June and all but three games in July, and he's starting to generate legitimate MVP discussion. I'm not saying he'll win it, or even come close, but he's epitomized the term "Most Valuable Player" during the second half of the season, at least... During his hot streak, the Rockies are 11-4 this month, including a 10-game winning streak. Talk about putting a team on your back, to get them back in the pennant race. Wow. :wacko:

Meanwhile, the White Sox can start booking their tee times, three weeks in advance. :tup:

If it seems like the guy is averaging a homer and two RBI per game this month, it's because he is... In his last 13 games, he's got 11 HR and 25 RBI (including 2 HR and 7 RBI tonight). Tulo missed half of June and all but three games in July, and he's starting to generate legitimate MVP discussion. I'm not saying he'll win it, or even come close, but he's epitomized the term "Most Valuable Player" during the second half of the season, at least... During his hot streak, the Rockies are 11-4 this month, including a 10-game winning streak. Talk about putting a team on your back, to get them back in the pennant race. Wow. :wacko:

Meanwhile, the White Sox can start booking their tee times, three weeks in advance. :tup:

As good as Tulo has been he is not even the MVP on his team. Let me introduce you to CarGo who carried the team while Tulo was mending.

As good as Tulo has been he is not even the MVP on his team. Let me introduce you to CarGo who carried the team while Tulo was mending.

I'm well aware of who Gonzalez is, and that he's probably the true MVP of the team. That said, for the sake of argument, what Troy has done is pretty amazing... He leads major league shortstops in HR, RBI, and batting average. The only other SS who are even close to him, in HR or RBI (Alex Gonzalez and Hanley Ramirez), both have 130 MORE at-bats than he does. I also think you have to take into account the position somebody plays, when determining their "value" to their team... shortstops (most demanding position defensively, except for catcher) who hit like he has been hitting, over the past month, are virtually unheard of (or at least very few and far between). I don't want to say that great hitting OF are a dime a dozen (because Gonzalez is certainly an elite talent), but they are much more common, as we all know.

Like I said... I agree with you (in that Gonzalez is the team's true MVP, at least at this point). All I'm saying is that I've heard "murmurs" that Tulowitzki should at least get MVP consideration... At first, I was surprised to even be hearing it. Then, when I actually stopped and looked at what he's done, I had to admit that I can't disagree. Both players should be in the conversation, especially if the Rockies can keep it going and sneak into the post-season.

None of this Tulo stuff should be surprising. He was going in the first round of many fantasy baseball drafts.

Yes and no. If someone just glanced at his numbers, year-to-date, they may not be surprised... After all, as you said, he was a pre-season top-10 fantasy player, expected to hit 25-30 HR and drive in 100 RBI, etc. What's been surprising, though, is this recent power burst, after what has actually been a pretty disappointing first 2/3 of the season, at least fantasy-wise.

I was fortunate enough to get him in the 2nd round (got Pujols in the first), and it's been a very strange season for Tulowitzki. He hit ONE HR in his first 146 at-bats this season... didn't get his second homer until May 20, at which point he hit five in the next seven games. He then went homerless from June 15 to August 4, mostly due to missing about six weeks to injury, then only hit 3 HR in August (even though he DID play the entire month). Entering September 3rd, he had hit 12 HR in roughly 358 AB... Since then, he's hit 11 HR in 51 AB. :wacko:

So, needless to say, it hasn't been the most consistent of seasons, at least in terms of his power numbers. I think that's been the surprising part... his recent surge sort of came out of nowhere. I had already written this season off as him being somewhat of a disappointing 2nd-round pick... the last two weeks have basically made up for that, and justified the pick (even though it's a bit too late for me, since I've already been eliminated in my league).

Gonzalez has been the better (and more consistent) player all year, at least up until September. But, this month (so far by Tulo) has been the single best two-week stretch of hitting by anybody in MLB all season.

Edited by Gopher

That's cold....wrapping a smash job against my boys embedded into a Troy T post. :wacko:

:tup: Sorry... I couldn't help myself. I have to give Konerko props tonight, though... looked like his nose might be broken (or at least swollen and bleeding), and he stays in the game (and hits a HR on his next AB). Another guy who should be in the MVP conversation (although I think it might hurt his case that the Sox are folding down the stretch).

Yes and no. If someone just glanced at his numbers, year-to-date, they may not be surprised... After all, as you said, he was a pre-season top-10 fantasy player, expected to hit 25-30 HR and drive in 100 RBI, etc. What's been surprising, though, is this recent power burst, after what has actually been a pretty disappointing first 2/3 of the season, at least fantasy-wise.

I was fortunate enough to get him in the 2nd round (got Pujols in the first), and it's been a very strange season for Tulowitzki. He hit ONE HR in his first 146 at-bats this season... didn't get his second homer until May 20, at which point he hit five in the next seven games. He then went homerless from June 15 to August 4, mostly due to missing about six weeks to injury, then only hit 3 HR in August (even though he DID play the entire month). Entering September 3rd, he had hit 12 HR in roughly 358 AB... Since then, he's hit 11 HR in 51 AB. :wacko:

So, needless to say, it hasn't been the most consistent of seasons, at least in terms of his power numbers. I think that's been the surprising part... his recent surge sort of came out of nowhere. I had already written this season off as him being somewhat of a disappointing 2nd-round pick... the last two weeks have basically made up for that, and justified the pick (even though it's a bit too late for me, since I've already been eliminated in my league).

Gonzalez has been the better (and more consistent) player all year, at least up until September. But, this month (so far by Tulo) has been the single best two-week stretch of hitting by anybody in MLB all season.

the slow start, red-hot finish is actually pretty typical for tulo. last year, he hit .254 before the all-star break, .344 after. in 2008, .166 pre all-star, .327 post. :tup: and believe it or not for a player of his caliber, in my one fantasy league I think he saw time on the waiver wire in both seasons.

Updated. :wacko::tup::tup:

You do realize that ya'll will probably end up with the best record and home field advantage. Considering a half game seperates the top 3 and the Twins have the easier schedule while the Yanks and Rays beat up on each other and the rest of the East.