[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ichiro

Azazello1313

Seattle's Ichiro Suzuki became the first player with 10 straight 200-hit seasons Thursday, breaking his record with a single to center in the fifth inning of the Mariners' game against the Toronto Blue Jays.

10 seasons in the big leagues, 200 hits every single season. it's kind of a stunning record if you stop and think about it. he's tied at 10 with pete rose for most 200 hit seasons (pete's weren't all consecutive), ahead of ty cobb, lou gehrig, and everyone else. Ichiro is Pete Rose with humilty and respect for the game.

and if when he wins a gold glove this year, he'll also be 10-for-10 there. wow :wacko:

Edited by Azazello1313

Respect and humility for the game? Eh, I guess so, even though he is widely considered a selfish player that divides the clubhouse. Either way, fantastic player. That is a tremendous accomplishment. To be that healthy and consistent for so long is pretty incredible. Most people here take .300 with 200 hits for granted. I never will. If only the Mariner's had any other hitter whatsoever to pair with him over the past 7-8 years, he might gain more recognition.

Respect and humility for the game?

well, note that I was comparing him to pete rose in that respect. which is as low as you can set possibly the bar.

honestly, though, I'd never heard that, about dividing the locker room and such. from afar, I've always admired everything I could see about how he plays and approaches the game, but I'll certainly take your word for it as a local.

the thing I've always admired most about him is what a mean f'n right field he plays for such a scrawny little guy. he's a buck-seventy soaking wet, and he leads MLB in assists since 2001. not to mention his range...

well, note that I was comparing him to pete rose in that respect. which is as low as you can set possibly the bar.

honestly, though, I'd never heard that, about dividing the locker room and such. from afar, I've always admired everything I could see about how he plays and approaches the game, but I'll certainly take your word for it as a local.

the thing I've always admired most about him is what a mean f'n right field he plays for such a scrawny little guy. he's a buck-seventy soaking wet, and he leads MLB in assists since 2001. not to mention his range...

Yeah, I know the comparison is to Rose, which is why I half-heartedly went along with it. He'll never make any public mistakes, so in that sense, he is quite different than Rose.

The knocks on Ichiro:

He has never once dived for a ball. Japanese players typically won't sacrifice their body in this way, not sure I really get on him for this, it just isn't in his nature.

He has done less than five interviews with the local media in ten years. He is the face of the franchise, but has never once had to stand up and be accountable for the perils of the team. Some of the other veterans that have to stand up and take the heat on a daily basis from the media have taken exception to this. He has been here ten years, supposedly speaks outstanding English, and still hides behind the language barrier. I don't blame him much for this either, since if he makes the slightest gaffe and says something incorrectly, the Japanese media will be all over him.

He has always been against hitting anything other than leadoff, no matter how badly the team has needed a decent hitter in the 3-hole. Again, I don't hold this against him. He is one of the premiere leadoff hitters in the HISTORY of the game. Why can't that be good enough?

The one I do have a problem with is his selfish attitude on the baseball field. He is going to hit .300 and he is going to get 200 hits every season, regardless of what his team needs him to do. He has tremendous power in batting practice, but instead of trying to drive the ball, he is more than content with infield singles, even when there are people on base and he needs to drive in runs. Furthermore, he'll have runners in scoring position and two outs, and as the best hitter on the team, his job should be to try to drive those guys in, right? For some reason, that will be the time he picks to lay down a bunt and try to leg out a single. Still seem like pretty minor problems to me.

The beat writers are constantly quoting anonymous players on the team that are totally fed up with Ichiro. Two years ago, it supposedly got to a boiling point, where there were actually physical confrontations between some veterans and some of the handlers (coaches, front office employees).

To me, I don't care. If a guy is going to hit .300 and get 200 hits for ten years in a row, that guy is not the problem. Sure, I wish he was a bigger ambassador for the team, but I highly doubt any of this is ever talked about if there is a playoff appearance or two sprinkled in.

Seattle's Ichiro Suzuki became the first player with 10 straight 200-hit seasons Thursday, breaking his record with a single to center in the fifth inning of the Mariners' game against the Toronto Blue Jays.

10 seasons in the big leagues, 200 hits every single season. it's kind of a stunning record if you stop and think about it. he's tied at 10 with pete rose for most 200 hit seasons (pete's weren't all consecutive), ahead of ty cobb, lou gehrig, and everyone else. Ichiro is Pete Rose with humilty and respect for the game.

and if when he wins a gold glove this year, he'll also be 10-for-10 there. wow :wacko:

Hall of Famer, no doubt. 1st ballot? It'll be tough to keep him off with #'s like that. Sick.

what is Ichiro's longest hit streak? Rose had many 20+ game hit streaks including 44. A complete baseball player, Rose also played LF, RF, 3B, 2B, 1B. He hustled on every play and his face first dives into 3rd are picturesque and iconic.

DID YOU KNOW?: Dimaggio had a 61 game hitting streak in 1933 in minor league play, but that is not the minor league record ... that is 69 games in 1919 by Joe Wilhoit.

what is Ichiro's longest hit streak? Rose had many 20+ game hit streaks including 44. A complete baseball player, Rose also played LF, RF, 3B, 2B, 1B. He hustled on every play and his face first dives into 3rd are picturesque and iconic.

DID YOU KNOW?: Dimaggio had a 61 game hitting streak in 1933 in minor league play, but that is not the minor league record ... that is 69 games in 1919 by Joe Wilhoit.

27. He has gone over 20 games six different times, per Wikipedia. 69 games?? Geez! I just can't imagine how consuming that must be. I went 41 games as a sophomore in HS and got to the point where I could barely speak full sentences by the end of it, and was so uninterested in anything other than hitting that it cost me a girl that I now know was about three leagues out of my range. Now that Ichiro is starting to slow down, you really have to ask whether or not it will be possible for somebody to get to 56 in our lifetime.

IIRC, during Dimaggio's streak, he barely broke .320.

Also, iirc, after Dimaggio's streak broke, he immediately started another 20-or-so game streak (during which, he also hit right around .300).

You don't recall correctly. :wacko:

He hit 408 during the streak and after the streak, hit safely in 16 more games.