[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Boardwalk Empire

whomper

I finally got a chance to see this on HBO on demand this morning. Pretty good stuff. HBO series are usually done well so when I saw the names attached to this one I figured it would be a good one. What did you guys think ? Buscemi is good, as usual. I also like the set and all how they portrait all the things from that era like the boardwalk and the ads (chesterfield etc) the clothes, the lingo. I think this is a keeper.

Edited by whomper

I finally got a chance to see this on HBO on demand this morning. Pretty good stuff. HBO series are usually done well so when I saw the names attached to this one I figured it would be a good one. What did you guys think ? Buscemi is good, as usual. I also like the set and all how they portrai all the things from that era like the boardwalk and the ads (chesterfield etc) the clothes, the lingo. I think this is a keeper.

I agree, watched it Sunday night and enjoyed it. Also HBO did a 30-minute documentary about Atlantic City in the 20s which turned out to be an informercial for this show, but it was informative nonetheless. The show stays pretty true to how it really was back then, the Nucky character, the corruption and booze smuggling, buying votes, the look and feel of the boardwalk, even down to the baby incubators in the storefront window.

Dammit I was really looking forward to this one. I might have to call Comcast and get my HBO back. Michael K. Williams (Chalky White) was absolutely outstanding in another HBO series The Wire . Glad it looks good so far.

Edited by Seahawks21

Buscemi is really good, but physically nothing like the actual Nucky character. He was a big tall intimidating guy with just his physical presence. Like Matt770 said, check out that 30 minute "intro" also on VOD. Solid background info on the city and the characters. HBO always does these things very well, and this is no exception, good watch for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

The show has been a good show. Very solid. I cant say I am blown away but it is building up every week and I like the storyline. The one thing I find a little bizarre is the casting of Jimmy's mother. She not only looks about a year older than him but the first time she saw him backstage at that cabaret show she straddled him and kissed him like they were old lovers or something. Whats up with her ?

The show has been a good show. Very solid. I cant say I am blown away but it is building up every week and I like the storyline. The one thing I find a little bizarre is the casting of Jimmy's mother. She not only looks about a year older than him but the first time she saw him backstage at that cabaret show she straddled him and kissed him like they were old lovers or something. Whats up with her ?

+1, good storylines, solid acting and love all the old-school expressions. Reminds me of how my grandparents used to talk. Can't wait for Nucky to finally nail the Irish chick. Should be two or three more episodes, tops.

• 4 weeks later...

The past 3-4 episodes have really taken this show to a new level for me. Im loving it now. The new guy Richard (the guy with the mask) shot right up the list as one of my favorites. The guy is a great actor and the character is great. This show is a must see for me every week now. Great stuff :wacko:

The past 3-4 episodes have really taken this show to a new level for me. Im loving it now. The new guy Richard (the guy with the mask) shot right up the list as one of my favorites. The guy is a great actor and the character is great. This show is a must see for me every week now. Great stuff :wacko:

Yup. They keep adding more and more layers of the onion to peel back, and all of it is good solid writing and acting. They were going strong with the nudity until this week, hope they crank that up again. Other than that, solid show. :tup:

great show - I mean Scorcese and Buscemi alone= no brainer, throw in some prohibition hoors, can't miss tv

the scene with Capone and Jimmy at the coat check was freaking awesome

thank god for my vcr, with this, Dexter, Breaking Bad and Walking Dead on Sunday nights - that baby is goin to work

great show - I mean Scorcese and Buscemi alone= no brainer, throw in some prohibition hoors, can't miss tv

the scene with Capone and Jimmy at the coat check was freaking awesome

thank god for my vcr, with this, Dexter, Breaking Bad and Walking Dead on Sunday nights - that baby is goin to work

spoiler below alert since spoiler function isnt working for me

Big Time. I also loved when Richard shot the dude in the diner. It established his role. Jimmy is a good ganster. What I still cant figure out for the life of me is how that young woman is jimmys mother. What is jimmy to nucky again ? Brothers ? If so, how ?

eta spoiler isnt working

Edited by whomper

spoiler below alert since spoiler function isnt working for me

Big Time. I also loved when Richard shot the dude in the diner. It established his role. Jimmy is a good ganster. What I still cant figure out for the life of me is how that young woman is jimmys mother. What is jimmy to nucky again ? Brothers ? If so, how ?

eta spoiler isnt working

Here is my guess:

Nuchie boffed a 13 year old girl. She got pregnant and had Jimmy. Nuchie is Jimmy's father, but Jimmy doesn't know it. That is why Nuchie continues to look after Jimmy's mom. Jimmy's mother is a young looking 34 year old.

• 3 weeks later...
Here is my guess:

Nuchie boffed a 13 year old girl. She got pregnant and had Jimmy. Nuchie is Jimmy's father, but Jimmy doesn't know it. That is why Nuchie continues to look after Jimmy's mom. Jimmy's mother is a young looking 34 year old.

Close Rovers. Sunday's episode was crazy good, IMO.

The show and the documentary are excellent. One tidbit I don't understand: the real guy was Nucky Johnson, in the show he is Nucky Thompson. What would make them change something so obvious? My only guess is the descendants wouldn't grant permission?

I would lean right into Gretchen Mol- she is pushing 40 and looks great.......

Jimmy and the masked sniper are about to eff some people up!!

I just love this character . Jimmy brings the action too. Great season. Let's hope they finish up strong tonight

I just love this character . Jimmy brings the action too. Great season. Let's hope they finish up strong tonight

The season didn't quite finish with the bang I had expected it to. it was still very good, but not much in the way of big cliffhangers for the start of next season.

This is one of the best shows on TV right now without a doubt.

• 10 months later...

Gotta say, this show is hitting its stride this season. Really a thing of beauty when the characters are fully developed and the writing just hums. This last episode was the best yet IMO. Between this, Dexter and now the Boss, great year for the 1-hr. cable dramas.