[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ryan Torain

klambert

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.thehuddle.com/fantasy_football_news.php#19993

Portis 3rd Down Back now

http://www.thehuddle.com/fantasy_football_news.php#19998

Torain is now No.2

Is it reasonable to believe this guy can be an RB2? I know nothing about him and it sounds like he is popular here.

How fast is he? Can he catch? When its all said and done do you think he will ever be more than a decent flex option?

Torian is the new Justin Fargas or Lee Suggs. Injury is not expected, it's guaranteed. :wacko::tup:

Yeah, I wouldn't drop Williams, he may be the last man standing in this shuffle.

Torian is the new Justin Fargas or Lee Suggs. Injury is not expected, it's guaranteed. :wacko::tup:

Man, is this a guy I missed on. I just couldn't see how his game wouldn't translate to the NFL, and he was money near the goal line in college. I thought we were looking at an Emmitt Smith clone when he came out.

Man, is this a guy I missed on. I just couldn't see how his game wouldn't translate to the NFL, and he was money near the goal line in college. I thought we were looking at an Emmitt Smith clone when he came out.

yeah, I thought Lee Suggs would have panned out...injuries kill careers...

thank god we have an 18 game schedule coming up..

Torain has potential for some large numbers this week. Shanahan was peeved that they had to go away from the run against St Lious and thought that if they had been able to stay with the run, they might have been able to pull it off near the end. He also stated that Torain will be the 1st and 2nd down back and Philly is kind of weak against the run.

Something to ponder for peeps impacted by week 1 byes or injuries.

Is there any reason other than familiarity why Torain is #2? Williams originally made the team while Torain was cut.

Torain was cut to move him to the Practice Squad and make roster room. That's when I made the mistake of cutting him also, figuring that he was behind Williams on the depth chart. Now we know that wasn't the case - Williams probably plays more special teams, whereas Shanahan sees Torain as being primary-RB capable (and he's always liked Torain - Torain's running style is condusive to Shanahan's one-cut downhill running system). Williams may not be as good of a one-cut runner.

Torain was cut to move him to the Practice Squad and make roster room. That's when I made the mistake of cutting him also, figuring that he was behind Williams on the depth chart. Now we know that wasn't the case - Williams probably plays more special teams, whereas Shanahan sees Torain as being primary-RB capable (and he's always liked Torain - Torain's running style is condusive to Shanahan's one-cut downhill running system). Williams may not be as good of a one-cut runner.

Aye, I FA bid an won in in my dynasty and then cut him to make roster space thinking he wasn't going to get his chance. Dam I should have known better.....

I paid $1 for him and now the bid for hims is $15 dollars................... :cry:

Also it seems Williams is a 3rd down back that catches passed out of the backfield. I believe this year he has more targets than rushing attempts and most on 3rd down. I think Williams role was not affected by Portis and will remain the same with Torain. I also picked up Williams but I see that was the wrong guy to pickup. When I saw torain being activated off the PS I knew something was up.

For a roster spot (not a guy you need to start this week or next), my money is still on Williams. Shanahan has obviously soured on Portis. Shanahan loves Torain. The fact that Shanahan loves Torain is fine and good. But he fractured his foot in 2007 and then obviously the ACL in 2008. Torain obviously has the goods but I seriously doubt his ability to stay on the field. I'd also add that as a general rule it helps to be on the good side of someone with such a massively overinflated ego as Mike Shanahan.

Torain is more than a handcuff but less than a starter in most standard leagues. When the inevitable ankle tweek, or worse, comes don't think for a second that Shanahan will find a way to explain all along about how this is all part of the master plan, he really loves the rookie, and he was only bringing him along.

Anything can happen (injury, production wise amongst all of them) but right now Williams screams of a guy who comes on post-week 8 or 9.

For a roster spot (not a guy you need to start this week or next), my money is still on Williams. Shanahan has obviously soured on Portis. Shanahan loves Torain. The fact that Shanahan loves Torain is fine and good. But he fractured his foot in 2007 and then obviously the ACL in 2008. Torain obviously has the goods but I seriously doubt his ability to stay on the field. I'd also add that as a general rule it helps to be on the good side of someone with such a massively overinflated ego as Mike Shanahan.

Torain is more than a handcuff but less than a starter in most standard leagues. When the inevitable ankle tweek, or worse, comes don't think for a second that Shanahan will find a way to explain all along about how this is all part of the master plan, he really loves the rookie, and he was only bringing him along.

Anything can happen (injury, production wise amongst all of them) but right now Williams screams of a guy who comes on post-week 8 or 9.

When I look at fantasy football I look at people with opportunity not prior injury history. This may be wrong, but Torain doesn't want to go out there and get hurt and Shanny doesn't want that either. If Shanny was so worried about his past he wouldn't be on the team. He has opportunity now, which to me is much more valuable to a pre-assumed opportunity for Williams if Torain goes down with an injury. What is Torain doesn't go down this year? Williams will not get the opportunity. Signing someone off the practice squad and immediately giving him more carries than someone on your team throuought the season speaks volumes with his intentions.

I am not saying to cut Williams, but currently I value Torian ahead of him simply because he has the opportunity to be a starting RB.

When I look at fantasy football I look at people with opportunity not prior injury history. This may be wrong, but Torain doesn't want to go out there and get hurt and Shanny doesn't want that either. If Shanny was so worried about his past he wouldn't be on the team. He has opportunity now, which to me is much more valuable to a pre-assumed opportunity for Williams if Torain goes down with an injury. What is Torain doesn't go down this year? Williams will not get the opportunity. Signing someone off the practice squad and immediately giving him more carries than someone on your team throuought the season speaks volumes with his intentions.

I am not saying to cut Williams, but currently I value Torian ahead of him simply because he has the opportunity to be a starting RB.

I certainly don't disagree that Torain or Shanny don't want injuries. I beg to differ on the injury history part. I certainly hate it when guys get mistakenly pegged as injury prone but Torain pretty much fits the bill right now. I even forgot the elbow injury which delayed his 2008 season.

I'm not suggesting Williams should be ranked ahead of Torain or Williams has more value right now. Torain is obviously a great lifeline for someone struggling with injuries at RB right now. But if I had a choice between which to stash (neither would start right now given my current RBs)... I'd stash Williams.

But you vastly underestimate Shanahan's ego. Torain's leg could be dangling by a tendon in 3 weeks and he'll still say...

Well, Ryan is a good football player, we'll miss him, he has a long road ahead, we hope to have him back, we'll see how things go, but that's why we have player X to fill-in. Player X can do all the things I ask him to do on the football field. We have a lot of work to do. We'll see.

Shanahan chooses his RBs like he has something to prove about himself. Turning the discard pile into statistical gold is his thing. No one wanted Torain this year, but Shanahan did. No one wanted him (not even Shanahan) until Shanahan finally drafted him in the 5th round over 2 years ago. Torain isn't on the team because he doesn't carry a significant risk of injury. He's on the team and playing thanks to Shanahan's pathological desire to be proven right.

Edited by kingfish247