[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Giants win the West!

Sunday Couch Potatoe

Oh what a ride it has been and yet I feel like it's just begun.... Pitching staff and damn good squad has them as real contenders for the title this year!!

:wacko:

cmon, they celebrated like they were just happy to be there. With Lincicum and Cain having a grand total of zero posteseason appearances, this year for them will be nothing more than a learning experience. My Phils went thru it 3 years ago before winning it all the following season...I see the Giants in that mold.

cmon, they celebrated like they were just happy to be there. With Lincicum and Cain having a grand total of zero posteseason appearances, this year for them will be nothing more than a learning experience. My Phils went thru it 3 years ago before winning it all the following season...I see the Giants in that mold.

great starting pitching, good defense, lack a big bat or two. they are certainly a competitive playoff team

Couldn't have anything to do with the fact that they clinched a play-off spot on the final day of the season?

Come on... We've all seen MLB teams with very little post-season experience win a playoff series, with some timely starting pitching. I'm not saying the Giants won't get swept in the first round, but their staff is as good as there is in MLB. Their sub-2.00 ERA in September is what got them into the playoffs... They continue to pitch anywhere near that level, and I wouldn't count them out against anybody.

Their hitting isn't so bad, either... This is far from the team in years past, that relied on pitching only (due to no run support). They've got a number of legitimate HR hitters... Posey, Burrell, Huff, Uribe, Guillen are all 20-HR guys (in a pitchers ball park). Sandoval, Rowand, and Ross were all in double-digits as well. Not to mention, lead-off hitter Torres hit 16 in barely 500 AB's.

All I'm saying is this... Don't sleep on the Giants. Outside of Philly, I like their chances in the NL the best.

If you are in the playoffs you are a dangerous team...I know that many are saying the Phils are the favorites to get to and win the WS mainly because of our top 3 pitchers and as a Phils fan I sure hope so....but I also can't forget about how good the Braves rotation was for like 500 years with Maddox, Glavine and Smoltz, yet during their time together they won just one WS....like I said as a Phils fan I am hopeful and also excited but in no way am I going to take any team for granted.

I just can't shake my low confidence in the Braves as they limped in to the playoffs with a disastrous September in which they gave up the NL East (along with a lights out Sep by the Phillies). Any team scares me right now...

agreed

sf is more geared for a 5 game series, but i like that timmay didn't have to pitch twice vs atl (whereas i could see him pitching on short rest in a 7). i still don't trust our bats and i haven't seen any recent philly trades for brooks conrad.

Giants may be the only team in MLB that can arguably match the Philly pitching staff, 1-3. Lincecum CAN equal Halladay, Cain vs. Oswalt, and Sanchez vs. Hamels. I think the key, for the Giants, will be whether or not they can get a split in Philly. Of course, that means they're going to have to score some runs, off of either Doc or Oswalt (since the games in Philly are likely to have more runs scored than the games in the Bay). If they can't steal one in PHI, I think it gets tough for them... I don't see them winning three straight in SF, meaning they would then have to win games 6 AND 7 on the road. These first two games will be huge, for both teams, but particularly the Giants. I could see the Phillies coming out of Game 2, under any scenario, and still winning the series... I just don't see the Giants winning it if they don't come out at least 1-1.

Considering those first two games will be against RHP, I also think the Giants left-handed bats (particularly Torres and Huff at the top of the order) need to get hot for this series. Of course, their bats in general need to warm up, after what was a somewhat ugly series against Atlanta. By ugly, I am not saying it wasn't an entertaining series... but it was somewhat disconcerting that Atlanta (a patched together Atlanta team at that) had to commit at least a half-dozen errors in the games the Giants won, for them to pull those games out (all of which came down to the wire). You have to assume Utley and Rollins aren't going to commit 5-6 errors (like the Atlanta middle infield did), so the runs are going to have to be generated by some other means... power hitting, Torres getting on and advancing by sacrifice/steals, or whatever. Not to mention the missed calls that went the Giants' way, which probably won't be the case in the next series. Maybe I'm stating the obvious here... I just think Torres and Huff are going to have to play even better offensively, for the Giants to have a chance. Not that they played badly against Atlanta... but I think they need to play even better.

One thing is for certain... The Giants make nearly every game interesting, and I think that trend will continue in this series.

:tup: Lovin it! Looks like those zero postseason appearances really took it's toll... Fear the underdog!!! Philly is favored to win which is no surprise they are a stacked squad with great pitching but watch out for the team with nothing to lose....

LET'S GO GIANTS!!!! :tup:

sf is more geared for a 5 game series, but i like that timmay didn't have to pitch twice vs atl (whereas i could see him pitching on short rest in a 7). i still don't trust our bats and i haven't seen any recent philly trades for brooks conrad.

+1

But they have done it alot this year scoring a putrid amount of runs in a stretch of games only to explode for another stretch... Here's to hoping for that explosion starting Saturday!! :wacko: Either way should be an epic battle with Doc and Timmy dueling in Game One!!

Edited by Sunday Couch Potatoe

Giants may be the only team in MLB that can arguably match the Philly pitching staff, 1-3. Lincecum CAN equal Halladay, Cain vs. Oswalt, and Sanchez vs. Hamels. I think the key, for the Giants, will be whether or not they can get a split in Philly. Of course, that means they're going to have to score some runs, off of either Doc or Oswalt (since the games in Philly are likely to have more runs scored than the games in the Bay). If they can't steal one in PHI, I think it gets tough for them... I don't see them winning three straight in SF, meaning they would then have to win games 6 AND 7 on the road. These first two games will be huge, for both teams, but particularly the Giants. I could see the Phillies coming out of Game 2, under any scenario, and still winning the series... I just don't see the Giants winning it if they don't come out at least 1-1.

Considering those first two games will be against RHP, I also think the Giants left-handed bats (particularly Torres and Huff at the top of the order) need to get hot for this series. Of course, their bats in general need to warm up, after what was a somewhat ugly series against Atlanta. By ugly, I am not saying it wasn't an entertaining series... but it was somewhat disconcerting that Atlanta (a patched together Atlanta team at that) had to commit at least a half-dozen errors in the games the Giants won, for them to pull those games out (all of which came down to the wire). You have to assume Utley and Rollins aren't going to commit 5-6 errors (like the Atlanta middle infield did), so the runs are going to have to be generated by some other means... power hitting, Torres getting on and advancing by sacrifice/steals, or whatever. Not to mention the missed calls that went the Giants' way, which probably won't be the case in the next series. Maybe I'm stating the obvious here... I just think Torres and Huff are going to have to play even better offensively, for the Giants to have a chance. Not that they played badly against Atlanta... but I think they need to play even better.

One thing is for certain... The Giants make nearly every game interesting, and I think that trend will continue in this series.

+ a million

If they can't split in Philly we're in deep doggy doo!! And even if they do it'll still be quite an uphill battle vs. a tough Philly team!!

:tup: Lovin it! Looks like those zero postseason appearances really took it's toll... Fear the underdog!!! Philly is favored to win which is no surprise they are a stacked squad with great pitching but watch out for the team with nothing to lose....

LET'S GO GIANTS!!!! :wacko:

Congrats on the win....just know you beat a wild-card team that had been imploding since late August. There is a reason Heyward went 0 for 10 in the series, and Conrad imploded...add on they lost their closer, which cost them Game 2. The Giants played well, but they got more than plenty of help.

Looking forward to the start of the series Saturday...the Halladay/Lincecum match-ups will be classics. This series, however, will be decided on the arms of Oswalt/Hamels vs. Cain/Sanchez. I like our chances.

Congrats on the win....just know you beat a wild-card team that had been imploding since late August. There is a reason Heyward went 0 for 10 in the series, and Conrad imploded...add on they lost their closer, which cost them Game 2. The Giants played well, but they got more than plenty of help.

Looking forward to the start of the series Saturday...the Halladay/Lincecum match-ups will be classics. This series, however, will be decided on the arms of Oswalt/Hamels vs. Cain/Sanchez. I like our chances.

I would hope u like ur chances u wouldn't be a fan if u didnt. I too like our chances as sanchez and cain have been lights out as well. Hey if u guys win it was suppose to happen no biggie but if u lose oh boy what the hell happened? There is a lot more pressure on philly as most everyone already has the giants buried and philly in the world series. Don't forget hamels quote that he'd rather the season just be over as it was mentally draining when things werent going his way and teammates accused him of quitting on them last year after being dominant the year before that is not a very stable horse in the barn I'll take sanchie. Beware of the underdog with nothing to lose they can bite u in the end. I am not a blind homer I know philly is stacked like the yankees and there is a big uphill battle on the giants hands but there is something magical or lucky or both with this team and when things fall ur way more often than not good things happen. Should be fun good luck to u I am not a philly hater as I have pulled for them the last few years with the giants out of it but this series I will be a bit of a hater! Cheers! :wacko:

Edited by Sunday Couch Potatoe

Fear the beard!!! Giants gettin it done!

Speaking of "fear the beard", I fear the freaking beard and I'm a Giants fan! Out here on the east coast, I didn't get a chance to catch many games. For the league leader in saves, dude sure makes you sweat a bunch. Is he always like that?

Certainly the Phils are, and should, be the favorites. Even considering how dominant the Giants starters have been for the past month, you can't go into a series against the 3 Philly is sending to the hill and count that as an edge for your team. And the bats? There's no question.

However, that's why they play the games and not just let the writers decide who's the best.

GO EFFING GIANTS!!!!

Speaking of "fear the beard", I fear the freaking beard and I'm a Giants fan! Out here on the east coast, I didn't get a chance to catch many games. For the league leader in saves, dude sure makes you sweat a bunch. Is he always like that?

Certainly the Phils are, and should, be the favorites. Even considering how dominant the Giants starters have been for the past month, you can't go into a series against the 3 Philly is sending to the hill and count that as an edge for your team. And the bats? There's no question.

However, that's why they play the games and not just let the writers decide who's the best.

GO EFFING GIANTS!!!!

i've watched a good amount of games and he is typically untouchable, but when he can't find the strike zone he gets rocked. both he and lincecum seem to have less control than previous years.