[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chicken and Dumplings

Scooby's Hubby

Simple ingredients yet a complicated meal to cook, chicken and dumplings is a great meal for this beautiful autumn. My mother makes great CnD (except I can do without the boiled eggs on the side), yet I cannot replicate it. Getting that perfect dumpling seems to be the hardest part. Cooked all the way through yet not hard and not too doughy. It is alot of "tecnique".

I know there is a huddler out there who can make this easy. Please advise and thanks in advance.

Simple ingredients yet a complicated meal to cook, chicken and dumplings is a great meal for this beautiful autumn. My mother makes great CnD (except I can do without the boiled eggs on the side), yet I cannot replicate it. Getting that perfect dumpling seems to be the hardest part. Cooked all the way through yet not hard and not too doughy. It is alot of "tecnique".

I know there is a huddler out there who can make this easy. Please advise and thanks in advance.

You want the easy route, or the hard route where you make the dumplings from scratch? Also, do you like the big doughy dumplings or the thin flat dumplings?

Here's what I do:

Take a 4 LB Fryer and start boiling it in water to make the stock (I use an 8Qt stockpot, calphalon copper, I fill the water to the middle of the handel rivets.) Into the water/stock pot I put 1 medium onion, 2 to 3 whole carrots, 2 cloves of garlic, 2 Bay leaves, 1tsp, rosemary, 1 tsp sage, 1 tsp basil, 1 tsp salt (not a big fan of salt), and 1 tsp black pepper. Boil the chicken for about hour and a half. (I'll usually tie up the herbs in a little cheese cloth or coffee filter, makes it easier to remove them at the end) If the stock is not chickeny enough, use some bullion, or you can always skip this whole step and use two of the big cardboard things of Swanson Chiken broth and add these spices and boil for about 45 minutes or so in order to extract the flavors.

Take the chicken out and allow to cool.

The stock I then put through cheese cloth lined strainer to get all the pieces of stuff out. I put the stock in the freezer to get the fat to coagulate and skim it off. I understand that there is a gadget out there that can remove fat from stock while hot, to save some time you might want to invest in one of those.

I use the biscuit recipe on the box of Bisquik to make the dumplings, easiest way to do it. Roll them thin, or to the thickness you like, they don't plump when you cook them.

Debone the chicken, I use dark and white meat... or if I want to make chicken salad later, I just use dark meat.

Bring stock to boil. Into that put 1/2 of finely diced onion, 2 stalks of finely diced celery(or a pinch of celery seed), 3 finely diced carrots. Put the chicken meat in.

1 to 2 tsp of pepper, 1 tsp of paprika, and 1/4 tsp cayenne (If I'm putting Cayenne in the mix, I use 1 tsp of pepper).

Aftyer I cook this for about 30 minutes I start putting in the dumplings, when you cut them, cut them to a size about 1/4 bigger than you want the dumpling to be. It will render and the dough/flour from this will thicken the chicken and dumplings. It is hard to say how many dumpling to put in, you can add more if you need further thickening of the sauce or just add a little flour premixed in water so you don't get clumps. Cook this until dumplings are done.

I'm not a big fan of salty foods, so not much salt added to this. When you initially taste the broth prior to putting dumplings in, it may not be salty enough, but you will get some more salt out of the dumplings, so you don't want to over salt at first. I do like things a bit peppery, so I have reduced the amount of pepper I typically use, trying to make it fit for average human consumption.

Note: Measurements are approximations, I do not typically measure much of anything, just do it by taste and smell. If you are using fresh herbs, easily double what I have approximated.

Edited by SEC=UGA

My grandmother's are the best but there does not appear to be anything simple about it.

My wife has some sort of quick thing she does using them canned biscuits. I was amazed at how good they are as my grandmother makes them from scratch, similar to SEC's with the exception of salt. My grandmother loves salt.

I know they on the way when my wife tells me to pick up a rotissire chicken. We are having dumplings the next night. I'll find the formula and post it later this afternoon hopefully. Simple enough to make during the week and very good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Go to the Pioneer Woman's website and make her chicken and dumplings.

My wife discovered that site and it has improved dinner time at my house. All recipies come with photos of each step and some really funny one liners.

Best chicken and dumplings I have ever had as well. This link may work:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/?s=chic...ngs&submit=

heres a simple one -

eight half boneless skinless breats

three cans cream of ckicken soup

sliced mushrooms - as much as you want

minced garlic

couple of chopped onions

heat in crockpot on low 6 to 7 hours

half hour prior to eating - throw in pre made bisquit dough (torn into pieces)

Delicious and other than cleaning the chicken - could not be easier

Edited by frenzal rhomb