[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So let me see if I understand this correctly

GWPFFL BrianW

I think we officially all have to start rooting for Boise St. to make the championship game and get beat by 40 so all of this nonsense can finally just stop.

I concur... Either win by 10+ or lose by 21+, then the question will be answered. If it is a tight game, they deserve to be there as well. So long as they don't draw Okie or the Buckeyes, it will be legit.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I concur... Either win by 10+ or lose by 21+, then the question will be answered. If it is a tight game, they deserve to be there as well. So long as they don't draw Okie or the Buckeyes, it will be legit.

Musta missed when Ohio State lossed to a team they completely overmatched on paper? Unless you're talking about Florida in 2006 where everyone but Florida fans thought Ohio State would win, but certainly no SEC fan would say that the SEC Champion was completely overmatched? Oklahoma lost to Boise. Ohio State didn't. And while we're on this topic... wasn't it SEC Alabama getting embarrassed by Utah 2 years ago? Yeah I thought so. So maybe add Alabama to that list?

Musta missed when Ohio State lossed to a team they completely overmatched on paper? Unless you're talking about Florida in 2006 where everyone but Florida fans thought Ohio State would win, but certainly no SEC fan would say that the SEC Champion was completely overmatched? Oklahoma lost to Boise. Ohio State didn't. And while we're on this topic... wasn't it SEC Alabama getting embarrassed by Utah 2 years ago? Yeah I thought so. So maybe add Alabama to that list?

Hey, hey, don't try to make up for OSU's inadequacies by casting aspersions at the reigning national champs...

I think we officially all have to start rooting for Boise St. to make the championship game and get beat by 40 so all of this nonsense can finally just stop.

Considering the number of times the BCS Championship game has been awful, I don't think it's too much to ask. And yes, either way, the "nonsense" will end. Either because it was nonsense to think that a team like BSU has any rightful claim at the title or because it was nonsense to say otherwise.

If this BSU team is not good enough, then there is likely not going to be a school from a small conference that is.

Hey, hey, don't try to make up for OSU's inadequacies by casting aspersions at the reigning national champs...

Ohio State has won just as many BCS National Titles as Alabama, and hasn't lost to a chump mid-major. They've lost to Florida, LSU, and Texas on the big BCS Stage. 2 of those 3 were favored over the Buckeyes in the game to begin with. I'm told that the SEC is the most amazing conference ever, so losing to them shouldn't be held as inadequacies. Unless you want to downplay 2 of the SEC's National Championships that SEC fans love to brag about so much over the past 4 years?

note: Actually 3 of the 4, since Oklahoma is in question as well.

Edited by GWPFFL BrianW

I think some of that "could Boise win a NC" talk misses the point. I don't think anybody thinks they don't have a shot on a neutral field with a few weeks to get ready. I believe they are good enough to play with anybody. The problem is that the road is so much easier and I don't know if they have the talent (or depth) to survive a Big 12, SEC, Big 10, or Pac 10 schedule. My contention is that they would drop at least one game if they had to play back to back to back weeks against good teams. In the end it won't matter. Utah (BCS #5) plays TCU (BCS #3) this week and one of those undefeated teams beating the other will jump over Boise as it would be a win over a top 10 team while Boise's biggest win is against VTech by 3 (who almost dropped a game to a suspect Georgia Tech school last night). So we should probably just change the discussion to whether or not Utah/TCU deserves to play for the NC as Boise is out as far as I can see.

Edited by Square

Ohio State has won just as many BCS National Titles as Alabama, and hasn't lost to a chump mid-major. They've lost to Florida, LSU, and Texas on the big BCS Stage. 2 of those 3 were favored over the Buckeyes in the game to begin with. I'm told that the SEC is the most amazing conference ever, so losing to them shouldn't be held as inadequacies. Unless you want to downplay 2 of the SEC's National Championships that SEC fans love to brag about so much over the past 4 years?

note: Actually 3 of the 4, since Oklahoma is in question as well.

I'm pretty sure Boise would have had a better shot at beating the Vaunted SEC teams than OSU, the Utah win over Bama seems to prove it.

I think some of that "could Boise win a NC" talk misses the point. I don't think anybody thinks they don't have a shot on a neutral field with a few weeks to get ready. I believe they are good enough to play with anybody. The problem is that the road is so much easier and I don't know if they have the talent (or depth) to survive a Big 12, SEC, Big 10, or Pac 10 schedule. My contention is that they would drop at least one game if they had to play back to back to back weeks against good teams. In the end it won't matter. Utah (BCS #5) plays TCU (BCS #3) this week and one of those undefeated teams beating the other will jump over Boise as it would be a win over a top 10 team while Boise's biggest win is against VTech by 3 (who almost dropped a game to a suspect Georgia Tech school last night). So we should probably just change the discussion to whether or not Utah/TCU deserves to play for the NC as Boise is out as far as I can see.

The part that everyone fails to bring up when the "they have an easier road" argument gets made is that they're already penalized for that. It's not like this is the first time they've gone undefeated and everyone is stomping their feet demanding they get a shot. They've had an amazing stretch of seasons including two BCS wins during that stretch. So now, after all that, there's simply a group that says, "shouldn't they finally get a shot?"

The part that everyone fails to bring up when the "they have an easier road" argument gets made is that they're already penalized for that. It's not like this is the first time they've gone undefeated and everyone is stomping their feet demanding they get a shot. They've had an amazing stretch of seasons including two BCS wins during that stretch. So now, after all that, there's simply a group that says, "shouldn't they finally get a shot?"

Already penalized by basically getting a chance to slide into a NC game? If Utah and TCU were unranked this year, it'd most likely be Oregon vs Boise. And at worse they'd get to be #3 or #4 and play in a BCS game. I guess I can't call that much of a penalty for playing a weak schedule. Being undefeated isn't easy but there are a lot of good teams that drop a game here and there during conference play (see how many #1 teams have revolved through this year). There just aren't that many dominating teams this year and Boise is actually going to be spoiled by one of their "outsider" brethren because Utah/TCU will have a stronger SoS than Boise.

Hell, I was disappointed in Nebraska's non-conference this year. If they wouldn't have played like momos against Texas, they'd be in contention if they won out (not saying it would've happened, just making a point). During a typical year where there are a few unbeaten teams, had NU actually won out, I still expected them to get snubbed by an undefeated team with a better non-conference schedule. And the nay-sayers would have been correct. The non-conference schedule we played was scheduled by the AD we fired a few years ago but I cannot doubt that it is weak compared to some other schools. So even with a stretch of games against Texas, Oklahoma State, Mizzou, and Iowa State (who is better than some give credit for) a team in a major conference would be penalized. And Boise can't come close to playing a stretch such as that and it's during an overall down year in the Big 12. As it right now, Boise just needs to be the last man standing and at worse they get a BCS bowl game. Doesn't sound like much of a penalty.

Already penalized by basically getting a chance to slide into a NC game? If Utah and TCU were unranked this year, it'd most likely be Oregon vs Boise. And at worse they'd get to be #3 or #4 and play in a BCS game. I guess I can't call that much of a penalty for playing a weak schedule. Being undefeated isn't easy but there are a lot of good teams that drop a game here and there during conference play (see how many #1 teams have revolved through this year). There just aren't that many dominating teams this year and Boise is actually going to be spoiled by one of their "outsider" brethren because Utah/TCU will have a stronger SoS than Boise.

Hell, I was disappointed in Nebraska's non-conference this year. If they wouldn't have played like momos against Texas, they'd be in contention if they won out (not saying it would've happened, just making a point). During a typical year where there are a few unbeaten teams, had NU actually won out, I still expected them to get snubbed by an undefeated team with a better non-conference schedule. And the nay-sayers would have been correct. The non-conference schedule we played was scheduled by the AD we fired a few years ago but I cannot doubt that it is weak compared to some other schools. So even with a stretch of games against Texas, Oklahoma State, Mizzou, and Iowa State (who is better than some give credit for) a team in a major conference would be penalized. And Boise can't come close to playing a stretch such as that and it's during an overall down year in the Big 12. As it right now, Boise just needs to be the last man standing and at worse they get a BCS bowl game. Doesn't sound like much of a penalty.

Already penalized because they (or others like them) have been going undefeated for years now and none has gotten a shot. And, in all likelihood, they won't again. So, when people mention how much harder it is for a power conference school to run the table, they fail to mention that there's virtually no chance of a team that does so getting passed over for a shot at the NC game. It's basically happened once, to Auburn. Cinci doesn't count because everyone knows the Big East is a joke. Otherwise, if you make it through one of these harder conference, even if the conference is down that year and your OOC schedule is a joke, you're in. No question. That seems to me to be a fair enough equalizer.

So, the penalty is very much there. If BSU or TCU or Utah runs the table, they still have to hope for a lot of things to continue to break their way (because they've already had to hope for, and got needed breaks already). Because even if there's only one big conference school who is also undefeated, there's still a chance they don't get in. Because if Bama runs the table from here on out, you know they're going to get in over any of those three. So, basically, Bama needs to lose to Auburn and Auburn needs to slip up somewhere else badly. That seems to devalue it enough. But you guys have your panties in a twist because we haven't just ruled them out completely at the beginning of the year.

Already penalized because they (or others like them) have been going undefeated for years now and none has gotten a shot. And, in all likelihood, they won't again. So, when people mention how much harder it is for a power conference school to run the table, they fail to mention that there's virtually no chance of a team that does so getting passed over for a shot at the NC game. It's basically happened once, to Auburn. Cinci doesn't count because everyone knows the Big East is a joke. Otherwise, if you make it through one of these harder conference, even if the conference is down that year and your OOC schedule is a joke, you're in. No question. That seems to me to be a fair enough equalizer.

So, the penalty is very much there. If BSU or TCU or Utah runs the table, they still have to hope for a lot of things to continue to break their way (because they've already had to hope for, and got needed breaks already). Because even if there's only one big conference school who is also undefeated, there's still a chance they don't get in. Because if Bama runs the table from here on out, you know they're going to get in over any of those three. So, basically, Bama needs to lose to Auburn and Auburn needs to slip up somewhere else badly. That seems to devalue it enough. But you guys have your panties in a twist because we haven't just ruled them out completely at the beginning of the year.

so much would have to happen for one of those 3 to get in, its almost impossible. TCU and Utah are going to knock one out. So its really 2 teams, Boise and the TCU/Utah winner. Boise likely would fall behind TCU, if TCU takes care of business this weekend. Oregon plays no one left, so they are half the NC game. Bama would have to lose again, beat Auburn, and probably have Auburn lose the SEC Champ to knock out the SEC Champion from the other side of this game, which would probably pit the OU/Okie St winner vs Neb in the Big 12 Champ game winner in over TCU or Boise as well. then you have Ohio St, who could still jump both TCU/Utah winner or Boise if a 2 loss team wins the Big 12, and the SEC. My guess is the big conferences want Boise and TCU to play against each other again in the bowl, and the winner of that game being the #2 team in the final BCS poll.

Alabama beats all three of those teams 8 out of 10.

30+ teams go undefeated with their schedules. Not even if every other major Division 1 team loses two games should these teams be allowed to play for the national championship. That said, I hope it happens so bad that it almost brings me to tears. What would be the number on an Oregon/Boise State matchup?

Maybe more fun, what would be the over/under?

Alabama beats all three of those teams 8 out of 10.

30+ teams go undefeated with their schedules. Not even if every other major Division 1 team loses two games should these teams be allowed to play for the national championship. That said, I hope it happens so bad that it almost brings me to tears. What would be the number on an Oregon/Boise State matchup?

Maybe more fun, what would be the over/under?

If Oregon wins out, I too would like to see them play boise. First of all, there would be no defense in this game, and Oregon should get sweet revenge from last yrs beat down in Eugene. I just dont see it happening or think Boise deserves to be in that position.

If Oregon wins out, I too would like to see them play boise. First of all, there would be no defense in this game, and Oregon should get sweet revenge from last yrs beat down in Eugene. I just dont see it happening or think Boise deserves to be in that position.

That game was in Boise. Boise State beat Oregon in Eugene in 2008, which is there only road win over a BCS conference opponent of any sort. Just sayin'.

And SEC, if wins over Oklahoma and Ohio State wouldn't "count" for Boise, then lets take off 4 of the SEC's 6 BCS MNC's. So now that we're handicapping this based on egomaniac SEC fans, SEC has 2 BCS NC's that "count." Any win over Oklahoma, and Ohio State doesn't count. I got it.