[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Oregon ..... Wow!

theprofessor

UCLA is finding out that this club is a far cry from UT. The tempo this team plays with is incredible. The pace and efficiency that they play with not only wears the opposition out but it must be demoralizing mentally for the defense.

Thomas is incredibly gifted and his ball fakes are about as good as they come. I think that the only thing that might hurt Oregon down the stretch is if they are in a close game in the 4th quarter will they play "tight" and lose some of their flow and efficiency? You see it happen a lot where a team completely dominates it's first 6, 7 opponents and then when they finally get in a closely contested game they play tight because it's unfamiliar territory for them.

agreed- as of RIGHT NOW they are a pretty clearly the best team in the nation imo

the speed and tempo of their play is unmatched, I mean they could of hung 75 on a talented defense if they wanted to tonight

Big game for our two programs on Saturday. I think your Wildcat's are going tro play with a chip on their shoulder after the way the game ended last year at Husky stadium.

Big game for our two programs on Saturday. I think your Wildcat's are going tro play with a chip on their shoulder after the way the game ended last year at Husky stadium.

can't wait- headed down to Tucson Sat with a mix of UA and UW fans- going to be a blast.

No Foles is hugh tho, not a Matt Scott fan AT ALL - our defense is going to have to win it.

Oregon should be ranked #1, as it seems weird to be #1 in 2/3 of the criteria used for the BCS, yet because they are #8 in the computers, they are #2. Should be some common sense here, imo.

As good as Oregon looked, UCLA looked just as bad offensively. What was this QBs first or second start ever in what is said to be the loudest stadium in the country, what did anyone really think was going to happen. UCLA passes for less than 100 yards a game, which has to be a record of futility for a major conference, especially one with the recruiting hotbed of southern california.

I just think someone needs to be a voice of reason when Pac-10 homers get together. You are welcome in advance :wacko:

agreed- as of RIGHT NOW they are a pretty clearly the best team in the nation imo

the speed and tempo of their play is unmatched, I mean they could of hung 75 on a talented defense if they wanted to tonight

Let's see them play a talented defense first before we crown them.

The eyeball test just doesn't always mean what it looks like. UCLA beat texas soundly and then lost to Kansas State. So you would think that K state is pretty good, no? Well, Nebraska pounds K state 48 to 13 (they scored a late 4Q touchdown with some NU backups in). Oregon looks great, but beating up on UCLA, doesn't always mean what it looks like. Just like Nebraska playing poorly the next week after a Thursday game vs Kstate and losing to Texas last weekend. Obviously I think Oregon looks great as does everyone else. If they play well against USC I'll probably be sold. I'm not saying that USC has a great defense, my guess is just that this is their "bowl game" for the year and they do have some talent.

The eyeball test just doesn't always mean what it looks like. UCLA beat texas soundly and then lost to Kansas State. So you would think that K state is pretty good, no? Well, Nebraska pounds K state 48 to 13 (they scored a late 4Q touchdown with some NU backups in). Oregon looks great, but beating up on UCLA, doesn't always mean what it looks like. Just like Nebraska playing poorly the next week after a Thursday game vs Kstate and losing to Texas last weekend. Obviously I think Oregon looks great as does everyone else. If they play well against USC I'll probably be sold. I'm not saying that USC has a great defense, my guess is just that this is their "bowl game" for the year and they do have some talent.

You guys are talking as if there's someone else who's proven more. The good news is that we don't have to decide this week who the best team is, but the fact is, OU is flat-out destroying people. The closest anyone has come is 11 pts.

I mean, as long was we're scrutinizing teams, why not start with the other OU? They sneak past Utah St and Cinci and have exactly one dominant victory against a good but inconsistent FSU team.

okay, sure. They have UA at home, currently the #1 D in the Pac 10 and #10 in the nation. I am not real confident they can slow this runaway train down.......

I am not a fan of common opponents, etc but there is no denying the absolute domination of a fairly talented UCLA team that went into Austin and put a pretty good ass-woopin on the Horns. The talent discrepancy is pretty substantial between Oregon and Texas, who may end up winning their division, and Big 12.....

ask Texas if UCLA and the Pac 10 plays any defense. A big difference IMO is the advanced offensive talent in the Pac 10 - their lineup of QB's rolled out on a weekly basis is ridiculous - Luck, Locker, Foles, Thomas, Barkley, Katz......

a lot of football to be played........................

Edited by wildcat2334

holy crap this is becoming ANOTHER conference argument topic. how retarded. no wonder i know everytime i click the 'college football' forum i'm bound to be dumbfounded by whats going on there. No one here will ever be right on everything, simple as that. i personally don't give much credibility to some posters based on topics like 'OREGON WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' because it's getting so old. last year theprofessor and wildcat talked so much crap about big 12 (for me personally about NEBRASKA vs arizona) and then they ate their words 100%, and it is so crazy to come on here and no matter what happens just see the same pac10 bullcrap everytime. no wonder hardly anybody posts in the college football forum; it's freaking annoying to hear pac10 is awesome! then a couple people say not exactly! and it's in every freaking thread. im going to go crazy.

edit: not to mention stupid comments about texas lacking talent? REALLY? texas is trying to run a completely different offense with a brand new quarterback, the LAST thing texas is lacking is TALENT. i mean good lord, they have nothing BUT talent. stupid out of left field comments like this just ruin so much credibility to particular posters/sections of the forum. every week doesnt need to be a pac10/big10/big12/sec is the greatest man! we rule because we beat ucla who beat texas who beat nebraska who beat washington who beat usc!! good lord. i love coming onto a college football forum but this one is like eating my braincells away at times.

Edited by Akfatha

holy crap this is becoming ANOTHER conference argument topic. how retarded. no wonder i know everytime i click the 'college football' forum i'm bound to be dumbfounded by whats going on there. No one here will ever be right on everything, simple as that. i personally don't give much credibility to some posters based on topics like 'OREGON WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' because it's getting so old. last year theprofessor and wildcat talked so much crap about big 12 (for me personally about NEBRASKA vs arizona) and then they ate their words 100%, and it is so crazy to come on here and no matter what happens just see the same pac10 bullcrap everytime. no wonder hardly anybody posts in the college football forum; it's freaking annoying to hear pac10 is awesome! then a couple people say not exactly! and it's in every freaking thread. im going to go crazy.

edit: not to mention stupid comments about texas lacking talent? REALLY? texas is trying to run a completely different offense with a brand new quarterback, the LAST thing texas is lacking is TALENT. i mean good lord, they have nothing BUT talent. stupid out of left field comments like this just ruin so much credibility to particular posters/sections of the forum. every week doesnt need to be a pac10/big10/big12/sec is the greatest man! we rule because we beat ucla who beat texas who beat nebraska who beat washington who beat usc!! good lord. i love coming onto a college football forum but this one is like eating my braincells away at times.

huh? yer the only one bringing up conference chit in this thread - we were making points about Oregon looking like the best team in the nation. Certainly debatable.....

Please show me where this evoloved into a conference vs conference deal, it really wasn't. I was simply trying to point out Oregon's dominance of UCLA has some relevance to Texas, who is ranked and looking better by the week. I wasn't comparing conferences.

oh yeah, and fwiw - UA was absolutely owned by Nebraska - I believe I gave nothing but praise to Nebraka after that game.......can we at least stick to 2010-2011, damn.

okay, sure. They have UA at home, currently the #1 D in the Pac 10 and #10 in the nation. I am not real confident they can slow this runaway train down.......

I am not a fan of common opponents, etc but there is no denying the absolute domination of a fairly talented UCLA team that went into Austin and put a pretty good ass-woopin on the Horns. The talent discrepancy is pretty substantial between Oregon and Texas, who may end up winning their division, and Big 12.....

ask Texas if UCLA and the Pac 10 plays any defense. A big difference IMO is the advanced offensive talent in the Pac 10 - their lineup of QB's rolled out on a weekly basis is ridiculous - Luck, Locker, Foles, Thomas, Barkley, Katz......

a lot of football to be played........................

Let me see if I get this straight

You want to say you are not a fan of common opponents, then what do you do right after that, compare Texas to Oregon based on a common opponent UCLA. And how can you say the talent discrepency is pretty substantial between Oregon and texas. Maybe the execution and coaching, but Oregon doesnt out talent the long horns by a long shot. Sure they have a few playmakers like James and the QB. But overall talent, Texas will have 5-6 players drafted in the 1st round and Oregon likely wont have but a single player, and its no guarantee teams will place that high a value on James. The Oregon execution has been flawless, the talent is perfect for this system, and the coaching is solid. I like this coach and I think Oregon will be a the dominant team of the Pac-10 for the next decade. So Im not taking anything away from Oregon at all. They are talented, but substantial difference in talent is a joke of a statement.

Then you say UCLA is a fairly talented team, guess what the UCLA team Oregon faced isnt the same one Texas faced because of the QB. I mean you dont mention that, but you sure point out Foles isnt playing tomorrow vs Washington. Why is that?

And lets take a closer look at the Texas/UCLA game. Texas beat themselves as much as anything. They turned the ball over 5 times, the first a muffed punt inside their 5 yard line that led to UCLA's first TD. You turn the ball over 5 times you get embarassed, and that is certainly what happened to Texas. But in that game, Texas had more 1st downs, and more yards, while UCLA had only 27 passing yards in the win. How is this possible. Its called turnovers, the great equalizer, and when its that extreme the blowout. Now Im not taking anything away from UCLA, they came into Austin and won 34-12. But before we go over board and start comparing Texas talent to Oregon, or saying UCLA is a fairly talented team, when we saw last night that clearly isnt the case, just take a step back and look at facts.

huh? yer the only one bringing up conference chit in this thread - we were making points about Oregon looking like the best team in the nation. Certainly debatable.....

Please show me where this evoloved into a conference vs conference deal, it really wasn't. I was simply trying to point out Oregon's dominance of UCLA has some relevance to Texas, who is ranked and looking better by the week. I wasn't comparing conferences.

oh yeah, and fwiw - UA was absolutely owned by Nebraska - I believe I gave nothing but praise to Nebraka after that game.......can we at least stick to 2010-2011, damn.

there is over half of your post just before mine and the entire thing is based on the big 12/pac10. essentially youre saying ucla put a big ass whooping on texas, so because oregon stomped ucla that shows a major talent desparity and for some reason you add in that texas may end up winning the big 12. then you say ask texas if pac10 play any defense. when DONT you talk about pac10 being the greatest conference ever is the real question? some of the pac10 posters on here are the ONLY conference forum representatives that cant accept reality at times. hell, even the artist formerly known as Sgt Ryan believes OU will lose a couple games this year. saying texas lacks talent is so off base that it ruins credibility instantly. and why stick to this season only when past seasons have contributed to killing reputations for posters such as yourself?

Oregon may very well walk right to the national title game. With the talent and scheme they run, they are almost impossible to prepare for in one practice week. Just wait until a high-caliber defense gets a few weeks to practice against the gimmick offense.

Oregon may very well walk right to the national title game. With the talent and scheme they run, they are almost impossible to prepare for in one practice week. Just wait until a high-caliber defense gets a few weeks to practice against the gimmick offense.

yes, we have seen another high powered supposedly unstoppable offense shut down in a bowl, when OU a few years ago ran into FLA. but then again, OU stopped FLA offense for the most part as well. 24-14 when both schools were averaging over 45-50 pts a week. Give a team a month and they will dissect these type of offenses. Again, i dont want to sound like Im dissing Oregon. Its more a lets slow down a bit before as someone else said, we crown them Champs in October.

You guys are talking as if there's someone else who's proven more. The good news is that we don't have to decide this week who the best team is, but the fact is, OU is flat-out destroying people. The closest anyone has come is 11 pts.

For what it's worth, I'm not saying that someone else should have their #2 ranking. I'm just saying that if they have back to back dominant performances, I'll really believe they are that good. If they struggle but still win against USC (say it's close), at this point I'm not really sure I'd put anyone ahead of them, but it would leave some room for doubt on whether they are a top 10 team vs #1 or #2.

I know a lot of the threads end up with ranking bashing and conference comparisons, but I really wasn't trying to go into all that. Just bringing up an example to show how the ol' "eyeball test" can deceive you (as it has done to me before). I'll buy the first round of :wacko: if we put a moratorium on conference comparisons for two weeks. :tup:

can't wait- headed down to Tucson Sat with a mix of UA and UW fans- going to be a blast.

No Foles is hugh tho, not a Matt Scott fan AT ALL - our defense is going to have to win it.

There's a possibility that Locker doesn't play either but my guess is that he will. He's pretty banged up though so Sark will limit him with his running plays. Be prepared for a heavy dose of Polk and our change of pace guy, Callier, who I think could be a great one. The key, again, will be if our defense can keep the score under 30. The Wildcats offense can be scary at times so I'm not sure we will be able to pull this one off. Could be a great start to our Pac-10 schedule though beating SC, OSU and hopefully the Cats. UW = 34 Arizona = 27

when DONT you talk about pac10 being the greatest conference ever is the real question? some of the pac10 posters on here are the ONLY conference forum representatives that cant accept reality at times.

I've never heard Wildcat say that the Pac-10 IS the best conference? I think he feels, as I do, that the SEC has been the premier conference in college football this year and in the last few years. I am a Pac-10 guy and I feel the same way. I don't think the conference debates are a bad thing. That's what these forums are here for. It's interesting conversation but it's all subjective. I root for Pac-10 teams when they go up against tough teams from other conferences, but I'm a Washington Husky fan and a Oregon Duck hater. Respect and love the product they put on the field but as a true Husky fan I like it when they lose. Their fans are some of the most pompous and arrogant fans but hey, they've proven their excellence over the last 6-7 years so you have to give them their rightful props. They have become what we used to be and I desperately want that spot back. I could be in for a wait though .....

Edited by theprofessor

yes, we have seen another high powered supposedly unstoppable offense shut down in a bowl, when OU a few years ago ran into FLA. but then again, OU stopped FLA offense for the most part as well. 24-14 when both schools were averaging over 45-50 pts a week. Give a team a month and they will dissect these type of offenses. Again, i dont want to sound like Im dissing Oregon. Its more a lets slow down a bit before as someone else said, we crown them Champs in October.

Not sure that we've ever seen a team that plays with the type of up-tempo and frantic pace that Oregon does though. No huddle .... the entire game?They average almost a point a minute! With that said, if someone plays them close, or has the lead in the 4th quarter, they might not be able to handle the first "close" game pressure. There's a chance they have that experience in LA next weekend with the Trojans having two weeks to prepare.

Edited by theprofessor

Excellent win for Oregon. The win over UCLA has nothing to do with anything other than a win over UCLA though. I'm not going to say Oregon doesn't deserve to be there. They absolutely are just as deserving as any other undefeated BCS team. But this all has a familiar ring to it. Last great d Oregon has faced was still on January 1 2010, and we all know what happeend there. All of that said, Oregon has a championship offense, and an above average d. They are and should be in the discussion. Just word to the "wise"... we've read this book already. We know how these things end.

edit to add: BTW, the talent difference between Oregon and Texas? REALLY? Anyone want to take a bet on how many players THIS Texas team ultimately has in the NFL vs THIS Oregon team? Yah. Didn't think so. Just like the argument that those Ohio State teams were sooooooooooo much less talented than the SEC teams, when they had a ton of NFL talent. Once again, time for you to be educated. EXECUTION TRUMPS TALENT everytime. Yes you need to have talent to get to a certain plateau, but execution wins the day 9.9 times out of 10. If Talent won, then Boise State doesn't beat Oklahoma in 2006. You can win some games on talent alone, but not many. How does a high school team with their largest offensive lineman weighing about 220 pounds (With only 3 players that would go onto play division 2 ball), beat a team whose lines average 270 (With a handful that played at FBS schools), in a State Semifinal game while rushing for over 400 yards on them? Execution that's how.

Edited by GWPFFL BrianW

there is over half of your post just before mine and the entire thing is based on the big 12/pac10. essentially youre saying ucla put a big ass whooping on texas, so because oregon stomped ucla that shows a major talent desparity and for some reason you add in that texas may end up winning the big 12. then you say ask texas if pac10 play any defense. when DONT you talk about pac10 being the greatest conference ever is the real question? some of the pac10 posters on here are the ONLY conference forum representatives that cant accept reality at times. hell, even the artist formerly known as Sgt Ryan believes OU will lose a couple games this year. saying texas lacks talent is so off base that it ruins credibility instantly. and why stick to this season only when past seasons have contributed to killing reputations for posters such as yourself?

dude, slow it down......

first of all "talent" was a bad choice of words. Of course Texas has talent, I could care less how many draft picks they have, I was simply pointing the hugh gap between Oregon and Texas, and I think UCLA as a common oppenent showed it pretty clearly. I don't care how many more first rd NFL picks UT has, Oregon is light years ahead of them on the field in 2010-2011.....

Not a Big 12/Pac 10 thing at all my man- Texas just happend to be in the Big 12, and I happen to think the Big 12 South is very strong division- just more that UT will end up being a pretty highly ranked team - so I think the point is relevant........ pretty damn impressive to me to dominate a team that went into Texas and overpowerd and dominated the Horns at their place. I don't even want to hear execuses there - UCLA ran the ball down their throats to the tune of 265 yards.

Excellent win for Oregon. The win over UCLA has nothing to do with anything other than a win over UCLA though. I'm not going to say Oregon doesn't deserve to be there. They absolutely are just as deserving as any other undefeated BCS team. But this all has a familiar ring to it. Last great d Oregon has faced was still on January 1 2010, and we all know what happeend there. All of that said, Oregon has a championship offense, and an above average d. They are and should be in the discussion. Just word to the "wise"... we've read this book already. We know how these things end.

edit to add: BTW, the talent difference between Oregon and Texas? REALLY? Anyone want to take a bet on how many players THIS Texas team ultimately has in the NFL vs THIS Oregon team? Yah. Didn't think so. Just like the argument that those Ohio State teams were sooooooooooo much less talented than the SEC teams, when they had a ton of NFL talent. Once again, time for you to be educated. EXECUTION TRUMPS TALENT everytime. Yes you need to have talent to get to a certain plateau, but execution wins the day 9.9 times out of 10. If Talent won, then Boise State doesn't beat Oklahoma in 2006. You can win some games on talent alone, but not many. How does a high school team with their largest offensive lineman weighing about 220 pounds (With only 3 players that would go onto play division 2 ball), beat a team whose lines average 270 (With a handful that played at FBS schools), in a State Semifinal game while rushing for over 400 yards on them? Execution that's how.

again- future NFL talent doesn't mean chit- Texas doesn't belong on the same field with the Ducks due to execution- whatever u want to call it.

anyhoo- can we move on from last year?? good gawd you keep bringing it up like it has something to do with this year. We haven't read this book before - this Oregon team is a much different team than prior years.

The more I look at schedules I think we are down to the following squads as NC contenders realistically

Oregon

Oklahomo

Boise

TCU

Bama

I think LSU gets exposed by Aub/Bama and Bama gets Aub to run the table

longshots - Utah, Iowa