[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hearty Dish Time - New Ideas for Dishes

Scooby's Hubby

Typically, when the autumn comes I am ready for those hearty meals. Scooby and I do our usuals ... Tortilla soup, pot roasts, chicken chilli, carne guisada, jambalaya, corned beef, enchilladas.

What does everyone else crave this time of year? Scooby and I are trying to avoid food burnout and would like ideas from the rest of the nation. Being in East Texas we are ignorant to what the other parts of America cooks this time of year or what other "local favorites" may be. Always hungry, please advise.

THere are a lot of good ones...

I tried a beef stroganoff recipe the other night I found on line, very simple and very good. I have tried many recipes, some including mustard, wine, cognac, etc... NONE as good as this simple recipe. Do not drain the juice that comes out of browning the beef, it will render in this recipe and adds great flavor. I used a chuck roast (top round works well also) cut thin and put over egg noodles or you can use fettucini noodles. The nutmeg and tarragon may look strange, but, WOW it makes it good. The one thing I did tthink, however, is just a little bit of a dry white wine would finish it very nicely, but I haven't tried that yet.

Beef strips: 1 pound; thin pieces sized 1 1/2 inches

Chopped shallots or onions: 1/3 cups

Sliced mushrooms: 1/2 pound

Butter: 6 table spoons

Nutmeg: 1/8 teaspoon

Dry or fresh tarragon: 1/2 teaspoon

Salt and Pepper: to taste

Sour cream or yoghurt: 1 cup (not chilled)

Step 1: Melt three table spoons of butter in a skillet over medium heat and adjust the heat to add the thin beef strips cooked till brown.Make sure that the butter should not get burnt. Add some pepper and salt while cooking the strips and after it is done take them in a bowl and keep aside.

Step 2: In the same pan, add shallots to cook for a few minutes and then keep them with the meat.

Step 3: Now comes the part to cook the mushrooms. Melt another three table spoons of butter in the same skillet and increase the heat adding the mushrooms in the pan.

Step 4: Stirring occasionally, cook the mushrooms for at least 4- 6 minutes. while the mushrroms are getting ready, add some tarragon and nutmeg to the mushrooms and lower the flame.

Step 5: Now add the sour cream to the cooking mushrooms in the pan.

Step 6: If you feel that the sauce needs to be thinned then add a little water (may be two table spoons) to the pan. Make sure the sour cream gets mixed with the mushrooms properly without simmering. Now put the shallots and beef in the pan and add some pepper and salt to it.

I made Guy Fieri's jambalaya sandwich last year and it will be made again. It is awesome.

I make what I refer to as a mediteranean gumbo... It is a better summer dish but goes something like this:

3 to 4 Chicken breasts

Roasted Red peppers, about 1to 2 peppers worth

1 can artichoke hearts

12 or so Kalamta or Marmarabirlik Black olives (The latter is a turkish olive you can get at some boutique grocers, you have to soak them in olive oil for a while, I like to add pul beber (red pepper) to the olive oil gives them a good taste)

1/4 of a can of Capers

1 medium sized yellow onion

2 tsp basil

1 bay leaf

1 to 2 tsp Hot hungarian Paprika

1can of petite diced tomatoes, or dice your own

2 cloves diced garlic

Tomato sauce - You don't want this to quite be soupy but you don't want it too thick either.

Salt & Pepper to taste

I will typically pan fry the chicken breasts in butter and cook them about 80% through. Dice them up into chunks and throw in Tomato sauce mix with all the above ingredients, cook for about 35 40 minutes and Put over rice in a bowl.

Because you don't want this to cook down too much. I usually start with the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, bay leaves and other spices for about 20 to 30 minutes (garlic also). Then the chicken. Then I'll throw the Capers, Olives, Artichoke in with about 15 to 20 minutes left on the cooking time.

When done, use tobasco to your liking... Good stuff.

ETA: YOu can also use shrimp in place of chicken. There are also some good Sausages out there that can go into this as well. I've done the sausage and chicken and it is very good. Not a fan of shrimp, but believe it would go very well in this recipe.

Edited by SEC=UGA

Typically, when the autumn comes I am ready for those hearty meals. Scooby and I do our usuals ... Tortilla soup, pot roasts, chicken chilli, carne guisada, jambalaya, corned beef, enchilladas.

What does everyone else crave this time of year? Scooby and I are trying to avoid food burnout and would like ideas from the rest of the nation. Being in East Texas we are ignorant to what the other parts of America cooks this time of year or what other "local favorites" may be. Always hungry, please advise.

Mind sharing the recipe for:

Carne guisada - don't even know what that is?

Jambalaya

enchiladas

Chicken Chilli

Thanks.

I wait for fall every year so I can return to my favorite dishes: jambalaya, gumbo, etouffee, creoles, etc. The nice thing is that you could fix these dishes all year long and outside of a few staples, change the recipe every time.

My wife prefers when I make other one-pot dishes though, more along the lines of coq au vin or similar or things like braised short ribs over polenta (this recipe is awesome: http://www.esquire.com/features/guy-food/s...-recipe-ll-1107 )

Stroganoff, NOW WE'RE TALKIN!

The chicken chilli is great b/c it has a low fat content. I use the broth from the chicken as my water. I make a batch of dried red kidney beans to mix in the chilli. The carne giuisada I will post later today, it is basically stew meet with mexican spices in a croc pot that makes its own gravy. It can be served in tortillas or over mexican rice. !Muy bueno!

Stroganoff, NOW WE'RE TALKIN!

The chicken chilli is great b/c it has a low fat content. I use the broth from the chicken as my water. I make a batch of dried red kidney beans to mix in the chilli. The carne giuisada I will post later today, it is basically stew meet with mexican spices in a croc pot that makes its own gravy. It can be served in tortillas or over mexican rice. !Muy bueno!

Both sound good - post quick I am hungry!!!

coq a vin (derivative)

for a few months now we have been dividing the cooking duties....each plan and cook for the week. it's rough (flexible) but has been working. i usually cook anyway, but at leat she has some things ready to go. so wife finds a recipe and i alter it.... turned out very good.

4-6 chicken thighs

about 4 oz sliced crimini

about 2-3 shallots (sliced)

3-4 slices of pancetta

4 oz chicken broth

4 oz white wine ( i used a cali chard and it was fine)

italian seasonings - a fw shakes

2 oz balsamic

dice pancetta (1/4 inch). render and crisp in pan or skillet. set aside. season chicken with s&p. sear (brown both sides). set aside. saute mushrooms and shallots. i acutally covered them for 4-5 minutes then sauted for 4 min. add broth and wine. bring to boil. add chicken back to pan. cover and cook for about 30 min (just want it simmering). when chicken is done, put it aside covered. in the pan, add the balsamic and herbs. reduce to thicken. s&p to taste. serve-> pour over chicken then hit it with the pancetta. we did it with pilaf tonight, but i think a roasted red potato with herbs would have have been great with it.....

12-20 red potatoes

1/2 stick of butter (melted)

herbs of you choice or lawry's or old bay

quarter potatoes. place in pot with salted cold water. bring to a boil. cook until they are about 70% done (you want them to hold their form). strain and cool just enough to handle. toss in large bowl with butter and herbs. lay out on sheet tray (cookie tray) roast at 425 until golden and crispy.

i have also used these when doing fondue.

had it with one of my favorite blends: CMS (hedge) 64% sauv blanc, 33% chard, 3 % marsanne

Meatball parm - that's another recipie Scooby and I need. That sounds really good right now.

Plus, Bier, we love fondue. Scooby and I really need a good fondue recipie. Please advise.

1 1/2 C champagne or dry white wine

1 large shallot minced

7 oz grated gruyere

5 oz grated emmental

3 oz brie (remove rind, then cube)

4 tsp cornstarch

1 tbs lemon juice

simmer champ and shallots for 2-3 min.

remove from heat, add cheeses, stir.

add cornstarch and lemon juice..... mix until smooth

add mixture to pot.

return to heat.

it will melt and thicken (about 10-15 min).

some of you know i'm austrian/italian/hungarian..... i have a great gulasch recipe that i made as our soup du jour last week...

5 slices of bacon (diced)

3 lbs of boneless chuck, trimmed, cubed

2 tbs veg oil

3 med onions (small dice)

2 C mushrooms (quartered)

3 garlic cloves (minced)

3-4 tbs paprika

1 1/2 tsp carraway seeds

1/3 C ap flour

1/4 C red wine vinegar

1/4 C tomato paste

5 C beef broth

5 C water

1/2 tsp salt

2 red peppers (cleaned and small diced)

4 large potatoes

1 C sour cream

in an 8 qt pot.... crisp bacon. remove and save for later. brown the chuck. transfer to same bowl as bacon.

reduce heat to medium, add oil. saute onions, garlic, and mushrooms. stir in paprika, carraway, and flour. cook for about 2 min (we are making our roux in the pot :wacko:). whisk in vinegar and tomato paste. cook for about a minute. stir in broth, water, salt, peppers. bacon, and chuck. bring to a boil.... bring temp down a little and simmer for about 45 min.

get a bowl of cold water. peel and dice potatoes (1/2 inch) one at a time... put diced potato in water. after the 45 min of simmering, add the diced potatoes.... continue simmering for about 30 min.

check thickness. add sour cream and whisk into soup. if still not thick enough, use a slurry (2 tbs corn starch and 1 1/2 tbs cold water- disolved).

serve with a dollup of sour cream and chopped parsley.

kind of for shiek.... i know he digs bisque.

shrimp bisque

1 oz butter

1/4 c brunoise of yellow onion

1/4 c brunoise of carrot

about a lb of shrimp shells

1 bay leaf

4 sprigs of parsely stems

pinch of thyme (1 used 1 little branch)

1 oz tomato paste

1 oz "burnt" brandy or sherry (just flame it to cook out the alcohol)

6 oz dry white wine

1 qt of shrimp, lobster, fish, etc veloute (2 oz butter, 2 oz flour, 1 qt stock)

1 pt broth

1 c hot cream

s & wh. pepper to taste.

i make the stock and veloute first and set it aside. melt butter. lightly carmelize the onions and carrots. add shells. cook until pink. add tom paste and mix well. add thyme, parsely, and bay leaf. add wine and burnt brandy or sherry. reduce by half. add stock and veloute. boil..lower heat..simmer for about 15-20. strain soup into another pot. continue to simmer for another 5 min. add cream, s&p. i have sauted rock shrimp and added them at the end.

enjoy.

one of my favorite stews...... and woke up to snow.

another soup/stew i like going with in the winter/fall.........

4 tablespoons olive oil

3 1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed, cut into 2 1/2-inch pieces

3 1/2 cups onions (med dice)

2 cups Cabernet Sauvignon

1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes with Italian herbs, undrained

1/2 cup hoisin sauce

2 bay leaves

1 pound slender carrots, peeled, cut diagonally into 1-inch lengths

1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large pot over high heat. sprinkle meat with salt and pepper. add meat to pot; sauté until brown on all sides (about 10 minutes). remove from pot with slotted spoon. reduce heat to medium; add 2 tablespoons oil to pot. add onions; sauté until golden brown, about 15 minutes. mix meat into onions. Add 1 cup wine, tomatoes with juices, hoisin sauce, and bay leaves. bring to boil.

reduce heat to low, cover pot and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. add carrots and 1 cup wine. cover; simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. uncover, increase heat to high; boil until sauce is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes longer. reduce heat to medium, add cornstarch mixture and simmer until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. discard bay leaves. Season stew with salt and pepper. (can be made 1 day ahead. cool slightly. chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep refrigerated. bring to simmer before serving, stirring occasionally.) transfer stew to large bowl. Sprinkle with parsley; serve.

Just hit the local famer's market - I'm doing chili for two cook-offs this week, plus a fresh tomato basil soup for guests tomorrow. I bought two flats of beautiful tomatoes, two pints of various cherry and pear tomatoes, some great looking asparagas and some fruit for the table. Also scored one of the best tamales I've ever had - the smell grabbed me the second I got out of the truck at the market... Happy little Mexican guy selling freakin' gourmet tamales in the rain - gotta love life's little treasures. :wacko:

Look up Bier's butternut squash soup recipe if you're hankering for a fall-flavor soup. It has quickly become a favorite of mine and is on deck for this afternoon.

Look up Bier's butternut squash soup recipe if you're hankering for a fall-flavor soup. It has quickly become a favorite of mine and is on deck for this afternoon.

roasted butternut squash/apple soup:

1 butternut squash

2 green apples

5 C veg stock

2 C cream

1-2 oz maple syrup

1-2 tbs cinnamon

1 tsp nutmeg

s&p to taste

preheat oven to 425* cut squash in half (lengthwise). put on cookie sheet seed side up. lightly coat with oil. roast for about 45 min to 1 hr until pulp is soft. bring stock to boil. turn heat down and let it simmer. scald cream. set cream aside. peel and core apples. cut into wedges. roast for about 20-30 min (until lightly brown).

when squash is ready, let cool enough so you can handle it.... scoop seeds out and either discard or set aside to roast another time. scoop pulp out (you don't want that outer layer). put pulp and green apple in stock.... simmer for about 20-30 min. puree. once smooth, add cream (while blending)..... then add maple cin, nutmeg, s&p.

I tried a beef stroganoff recipe the other night I found on line, very simple and very good. I have tried many recipes, some including mustard, wine, cognac, etc... NONE as good as this simple recipe. Do not drain the juice that comes out of browning the beef, it will render in this recipe and adds great flavor. I used a chuck roast (top round works well also) cut thin and put over egg noodles or you can use fettucini noodles. The nutmeg and tarragon may look strange, but, WOW it makes it good. The one thing I did tthink, however, is just a little bit of a dry white wine would finish it very nicely, but I haven't tried that yet.

Step 1: Melt three table spoons of butter in a skillet over medium heat and adjust the heat to add the thin beef strips cooked till brown.Make sure that the butter should not get burnt. Add some pepper and salt while cooking the strips and after it is done take them in a bowl and keep aside.

Step 2: In the same pan, add shallots to cook for a few minutes and then keep them with the meat.

Step 3: Now comes the part to cook the mushrooms. Melt another three table spoons of butter in the same skillet and increase the heat adding the mushrooms in the pan.

Step 4: Stirring occasionally, cook the mushrooms for at least 4- 6 minutes. while the mushrroms are getting ready, add some tarragon and nutmeg to the mushrooms and lower the flame.

Step 6: If you feel that the sauce needs to be thinned then add a little water (may be two table spoons) to the pan. Make sure the sour cream gets mixed with the mushrooms properly without simmering. Now put the shallots and beef in the pan and add some pepper and salt to it.

This is going down this weekend and I am gonna add the wine, when I do the mushrooms I assume.

I'd like to try some of this stuff, but I have budget and time constraints. Some of these recipes are pretty expensive to put together. Many of the ingredients will spoil before I ever get to use the unused balance. Time consuming as well. So, here is another one of my "quick, simple and cheap" meals.

Pork chops with carmelized blackened onions

Large bone in pork chops

one medium/small white onion per chop

melt butter in a large pan, add sliced and quartered onions on a low heat. Flip, turn, mix frequently for 5 minutes. Once the onions start to brown, move the to the sides of the pan, sort of wok style, away from the heat. Add the pork chops to the frying pan, salt pepper to taste. 5 minutes, flip, 5 minutes, flip, lower heat (on my stove warm is still fairly hot) 5 minutes again on each side of the chop. While the chops are cooking, stir/mix the onions around and push them back up onto the sides of the pan. Don't over cook the chops. A tiny bit of pink around the bone is fine. If you overcook them, they are as tough as shoe leather. You want them to be tender and juicy. Some of the onions should be blackened at this point. Cooked this way, they capture a marvelous toasty sort of flavor. Serve the chop on a plate covered with the onions.

You can serve this with anything from a string bean caaserole to spaetzle, any veggies of choice to potato prepped and cooked any way you like them. Scalloped, roasted, baked, mashed. Mac and cheese works too. AlFredo, rice...whatever. Pork is still the best meat value you can get. Just don't overcook it.

Simple, cheap, easy, fast, tastey. 35 minutes start to finish for cooking the chops.

BTW, this was another family staple dinner I grew up with. I once made this for a small impromtu dinner party, and one guest was a chef. OK, he was more of a pub cook who owned his own pub and served lunches, standard pub fare. He eyeballed these "burnt" onions, and raised his eyebrows, looking around the table like WT F is this? The dish showed up on his "specails" at least once a month after that. "Pork Chop with Blackened Onions". it sold pretty well.

Edited by Rovers

This is going down this weekend and I am gonna add the wine, when I do the mushrooms I assume.

step 3. i have done this dish with onions and shallots. when i use onions, i add the mushrooms at the same time. when i use shallots, i saute the mushrooms first for 5 min or so then add the shallots (shallots cok quicker than onions and mushrooms.

• 2 months later...

Scooby and I are about to roll up our sleeves and get busy with the Stroganoff while we watch Cops. Using Top Round.