[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

UFC 121

budlitebrad

He better brush up on his stand up if he wants to come back...

+1

Lesnar is not very good at defending against strikes and the better fighters are exposing that. Carwin had him dead-to-rights in the first round last fight but ran out of gas. Tonight, CV had more than enough. That was a friggin ravine he opened up on Lesnar's face :wacko:

Entertaining fight to be sure. That cut on Lesnar's face was pretty gruesome.

Is it me or is Jake Shields the most boring top contender in the UFC? I've seen him a couple times now and everything is the same. Take down, try to mount and if successful just lay there. If not successful, rinse and repeat.

Lesnar simply isnt that skilled of a fighter. The last 2 fights he looked like a big punching bag. Carwin vs Cain would be a helluva fight.

Other than the whole world class wrestler thing...

Im curious about what the heck he was doing after he had his take down stuffed... spun around, fell down, got up and spun down... Then proceeded to get his face smashed in...

Entertaining fight to be sure. That cut on Lesnar's face was pretty gruesome.

Is it me or is Jake Shields the most boring top contender in the UFC? I've seen him a couple times now and everything is the same. Take down, try to mount and if successful just lay there. If not successful, rinse and repeat.

He's a grappler. A worldclass one at that, and I've seen him finish guys in chokes while on his feet. Thing is, that grapplers and sub experts tend to pull them while on the ground. One thing is for sure, 170 is too big of a weight cut.

One of the questions that more than a few people had about Lesnar is "how will this guy respond to being punched in the face?" For awhile, we didn't know.

I think that its now safe to say that Lesnar is no Roy Nelson when it comes to the receipt of leather.

The thing that surprised me was the ease at which Velasquez got back to his feet after Lesnar took him down.

I've watched a ton of UFC fights over the last 4-5 years but there were some things in that title fight last night that smelled an awful lot like pro boxing and the WWF.

What is that, the huge gash under his eye, or the blood all over the canvas. Or the fact he was being abused on the ground. You think that was fixed? no way.

One of the questions that more than a few people had about Lesnar is "how will this guy respond to being punched in the face?" For awhile, we didn't know.

I think that its now safe to say that Lesnar is no Roy Nelson when it comes to the receipt of leather.

I'm not a Lesnar fan, but stuff like this is insane. He took punches from Shane Carwin and finished a fight. Everyone needs to remember that he still has under ten fights in his career, and all of them sans one have been against legit if not elite fighters. His game is still growing, and I highly doubt this is the last fight that Lesnar has the belt.

And Roy Nelson couldn't have taken the beating that Carwin or Cane put on Lesnars head.

I'm not a Lesnar fan, but stuff like this is insane. He took punches from Shane Carwin and finished a fight. Everyone needs to remember that he still has under ten fights in his career, and all of them sans one have been against legit if not elite fighters. His game is still growing, and I highly doubt this is the last fight that Lesnar has the belt.

And Roy Nelson couldn't have taken the beating that Carwin or Cane put on Lesnars head.

Well, I've seen all of his fights. And the times that I saw him get hit in the face,he crumpled or pretty much ran away.

He did that with Carwin before he turtled and Carwin shot his wad punching Lesnar's forearms.

Some guys can't take a punch in the face. Until I see otherwise, I'm going to lump Lesnar into that group. I'm not sure that getting a few more fights under his belt is going to change that.

Well, I've seen all of his fights. And the times that I saw him get hit in the face,he crumpled or pretty much ran away.

He did that with Carwin before he turtled and Carwin shot his wad punching Lesnar's forearms.

Some guys can't take a punch in the face. Until I see otherwise, I'm going to lump Lesnar into that group. I'm not sure that getting a few more fights under his belt is going to change that.

couldn't agree more

probably one of the big reasons why this freak of an athete couldn't cut it as an NFL prospect.........not sure how much the dude likes hard, violent contact

hoping for a Brock/Carwin rematch, winner gets Cain

Agreed. I think you can either take a punch or you cant. Not sure you can really train that. Now, that said, I think what can certainly be trained (and improved in Lesnar's case) is defense against getting hit in the face. So far, he seems prone to the "turn the head away (or down) and backpeddle" while someone is attacking with punches which is kind of a natural instinct for people without a lot of experience/training. And that just leaves him vulnerable for more abuse as he's not really seeing what is coming. As big as his hands and arms are, they oughta be able to work with him on putting up a simple (but better) defense against taking head shots while he's on his feet. I dont think he'll ever be a good defensive fighter against strikes, but he can get better and save a few shots to his hugh head. As PON pointed out earlier, Brock is still pretty new to this and he's right into the fire against the biggest/best there is. I definitely think he can improve with experience as long as he doesnt get damaged too badly in the process of learning to be a more complete fighter.

I don't think many, if any, human beings on the planet can take a full force punch in the face from a top UFC heavyweight without looking the worse for it. fights end quickly -- and somewhat unpredictably -- with these guys, that's just how it goes when you're talking about bringing that much lumber.

I actually think it is very good news for the MMA world that he lost. It might not show in dollars right away (as they may be making slightly less money off of the Lesnar spectacle), but I think it will give the MMA world a bit more credibility with traditional fans of fighting. For a sport to be considered an elite, world-class sport, some guy shouldn't be able to come in off the streets and dominate the entire sport. You couldn't dream to see this in any of the martial arts or boxing, where most of the elite started training at 15-16 at the latest. 30-40 years ago, you would see this with a boxing heavyweight every now and again, but no fighter has come along and dominated like this in at least that long. I thought that the purists would be a bit ashamed of his success, but at least he does have that wrestling background. Now that he may have shown his weakness, is he a dead-man walking? We'll see.

Lesnar will be back and better. He beat a better fighter in Carwin, than who he lost to last weekend. This division now has some serious heavy weights, which is great for us fans. But in this sport, you can get caught at any time and its lights out if you do. Lesnar took a helluva lot of punishment in the last 2 fights. he simply covers up when he is on the ground taking the punishment. Instead of looking to get back on his feet. Dude is the strongest man by far in the sport. I dont get why he didnt get up. Seems he was content to let Cain wear himself out like carwin did, and try and steal the fight in the end. Use your power, slow the hell down, and wear them out like boxers do. Why go ape crap to begin, unbalanced and get hit going in. Get yourself under control and attack when you got your man hurt.

probably one of the big reasons why this freak of an athete couldn't cut it as an NFL prospect.........not sure how much the dude likes hard, violent contact

:wacko: Or was it because he was a wrestler in college, and not a football player, who then went on to a professional wrestling career for a while... Yeah, that might have been it.

And who exactly doesn't get rocked by Carwin's fist? The Lesnar hate across the board for MMA long timers and newbies is insane. Like him or hate him, but the guy is top 1% of the world. He's got less than 10 fights under his belt and everyone sans his first fight is against legends and the the new elite (Carwin/Cain).

:wacko: Or was it because he was a wrestler in college, and not a football player, who then went on to a professional wrestling career for a while... Yeah, that might have been it.

sorry my man- couldn't be more wrong. Plenty of athletes have jumped to the NFL from playing other sports in college- Gates, etc - if they are good enough athletes - happens all the time.

Lesnar grew up loving and playing football - and a little fun fact.

Did you happen to know, Stephen Neal, who beat Lesnar in '99 for the NCAA wrestling title, is an 8 year NFL vet and OG for the Patriots???

guess what??? Neal never played football in college, either

nice try

sorry my man- couldn't be more wrong. Plenty of athletes have jumped to the NFL from playing other sports in college- Gates, etc - if they are good enough athletes - happens all the time.

Did you happen to know, Stephen Neal, who beat Lesnar in '99 for the NCAA wrestling title, is an 8 year NFL vet and OG for the Patriots???

nice try

You're still here? Lucky us! Happens all the time, huh?

nice try

So you have 2 examples total. Neal and Gates. And it happens all the time. This is just a clueless statement above.

You're still here? Lucky us! Happens all the time, huh?

yea, lucky us. :wacko:

So you have 2 examples total. Neal and Gates. And it happens all the time. This is just a clueless statement above.

yea, lucky us. :wacko:

uh gawd - not sure why I bother with u tools

ok, maybe happens all the time is a stretch- doesn't change the fact that

A) it does happen more than you think

:tup: the dude who beat Lesnar did it- so PON Lesnar jock-swinging can stop. Lesnar isn't all that

uh gawd - not sure why I bother with u tools

ok, maybe happens all the time is a stretch- doesn't change the fact that

A) it does happen more than you think

:tup: the dude who beat Lesnar did it- so PON Lesnar jock-swinging can stop. Lesnar isn't all that

change what fact, that you have 2 examples and I can think of maybe 2 more off the top of my head. so outta 1696 players, 32 - 53 man rosters. 4 players never played football in college, who are in the NFL today. And you question why Lesnar cant do it, when less than 1%, .0023 of the NFL consists of what you are saying.

The dude who beat lesnar went to the NFL right after college, not when he was almost 28 trying out for the Vikings. Lesnar is a freak of an athlete, but he would have to commit to the NFL and give up the millions of dollars of WWE money, none of us would have given up for 70K to commit to football full time. Its not Lesnar couldnt make it, he simply wasnt going to make it right off the bat, and he had several other huge options, than to be a practice squad player while he develops. And obviously if Neal beat Lesnar for a National Championship, he is a pretty good athlete himself. You act as if Neal is just anyone of the street. neal didnt have the huge money making opportunities elsehwere, and has turned himself into a pro bowl player, and what he did was nothing short of amazing. Even more so than Gates, whose background of basketball was perfect for the TE postion of using yoru body to shield the defender from the ball. Its not like Neal can grapple (hold) someone and take him to the ground with his hands, or throw him, like the skills of a wrestlers background. neal is a freak athlete too, but that doesnt change the fact so is Lesnar.

Seems you may wanna look in the mirror before you start dishing out the name callin.

Funny thing is when I read someone like yourself who would be nothing more than mince meat around this site, let alone in MMA, tell us Lesnar isnt all that. Dude has been Ko'd once. And lost by submission in his first fight, after he nearly killed Frank Mir in the first 40 seconds of that fight. Im a huge Lesnar fan, but a realist. Lesnar is the strongest man in the sport, and I Love his tenacity, but he needs to fight more controlled. His wildness gets him caught, way too often. And I think without a shadow of a doubt, he punks Cain with a better game plan.

edit to add: Now look what you made me do, agree with PON. Now I feel cheap and dirty. :wacko:

Edited by Living the Dream