[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

And in the no chight sherlock department

detlef

Needing a jolt before the gym this morning, I pulled into McDonalds for a cup of their "premium roast" coffee. If that's better than it used to be, then it must have been complete crap before. Easily the worst cup of coffee I've had in a long time.

Again, this did not come as a huge surprise but I've been hearing so many ads and figured that it wasn't impossible for them to get some decent beans. And once they did so, automate the process to make it at least as good as someone like Starbucks. Or at least close to it. I guess not.

that's another one, dunkin donuts. to hear some people tell it (mostly moorahns from bahston), this is the best coffee on the planet. the times I've actually had it....it's about mcdonald's quality. it's ok, but that's it, basically the beer equivalent of a non-offensive mass-produced lager or pils. another lowest-common-denominator product. how on earth does someone get all excited about how awesome something like this is? it baffles me. not like I'm some huge fan of starbucks, quite the contrary, but at least they serve somewhat robust coffee.

I drink coffee about once per month, when I go to Dunkin Doughnuts... Pretty good stuff. But, again, I drink coffee about once a month.

Dunkin Doughnuts coffee is completely fine and yet another example of why there's really no excuse for McDonalds. It's not like Dunkin Doughnuts is some artisan outfit cupping rare, single origin beans from the far corners of the globe. No, they likely have a coffee buyer who knows what is what and is buying decent quality beans on the bulk market to put together a tasty house blend for a good price. McDonalds could do the same thing only better because they could command a larger market share.

Plus, I imagine, just like with wine, there's roasting and blending techniques that could make marginal beans seem good to anyone but a hardcore coffee geek (the same guys who say Starbucks is undrinkable crap).

that's another one, dunkin donuts. to hear some people tell it (mostly moorahns from bahston), this is the best coffee on the planet. the times I've actually had it....it's about mcdonald's quality. it's ok, but that's it, basically the beer equivalent of a non-offensive mass-produced lager or pils. another lowest-common-denominator product. how on earth does someone get all excited about how awesome something like this is? it baffles me. not like I'm some huge fan of starbucks, quite the contrary, but at least they serve somewhat robust coffee.

I certainly hear you as far as wondering what the big deal is, but I've always had fine enough coffee from them. Though I haven't had it that often.

i make coffee at home about every other day. i have taken a liking to lavazza.

I'm usually spoiled on the coffee front. I get good beans from the small roaster who sells me my beans at the restaurants, grind it fresh, and make French press at home. Either that or I drink what we have at the restaurants. There's typically enough left over in the press pot to gulp down cold on my way out the door on my early gym days. Just not today.

I'm usually spoiled on the coffee front. I get good beans from the small roaster who sells me my beans at the restaurants, grind it fresh, and make French press at home. Either that or I drink what we have at the restaurants. There's typically enough left over in the press pot to gulp down cold on my way out the door on my early gym days. Just not today.

nod. when my father is in town we make pots. when guests are over, we make pots of french pressed. when it is just the two of us, i am a cappuccino (w/ extra shot), and mrs is a latte.

Needing a jolt before the gym this morning, I pulled into McDonalds for a cup of their "premium roast" coffee. If that's better than it used to be, then it must have been complete crap before. Easily the worst cup of coffee I've had in a long time.

Again, this did not come as a huge surprise but I've been hearing so many ads and figured that it wasn't impossible for them to get some decent beans. And once they did so, automate the process to make it at least as good as someone like Starbucks. Or at least close to it. I guess not.

No doubt! How is this coffee premium in any way? It might as well be dark brown dishwater. Hideously bad. The only thing different about it is that they decided to call it premium but as was started, I can't tell the difference between the "premium" coffee and the previous cr@p they served. :wacko:

IMO actually think DD coffee is pretty good. It's much better than McDonalds coffee from my perspective. It's kinda like what Budweiser is to Keystone.

Maybe they should hire Tim Tebow to make their coffee. Heard he can work miracles with water. They spend five minutes with Tim Tebow and their coffee will naturally be better.

Don't do coffee from fast food places, though the local Chevrons(Extra Mile) around here serve Millstone which I use at home a lot. Just never know how long that stuff has been sitting there.

I buy dunkin donuts coffee to brew at home . . it is much better than a lot of other stuff on the market.

McDonalds is very poor.

I got to tour a coffee company for work, and attend a "cupping" seminar on how to determine the qulaity of coffee beans. Incidentally, when you see dark roast and french roast stuff (primarily what Starbucks does) it is often done to overcome poor tasting beans with the flavor of "burnt beans". Interesting stuff . . .

Plus, I imagine, just like with wine, there's roasting and blending techniques that could make marginal beans seem good to anyone but a hardcore coffee geek (the same guys who say Starbucks is undrinkable crap).

Oh, how right you are!  FWIW, Starbucks' brewed coffee (i.e., cuppa joe) is fine enough.  It's the espresso that's fit only for the floor drain.  In order to make espresso in the volume they do, they have to basically roast everything until the roast character overwhelms whatever flavors might be inherent to the bean.  This keeps Starbucks espresso tasting exactly the same all over the world--regardless of genetics, terroir, blend ratios, whatever.

Moreover, regular-joe coffee drinkers try Starbucks espresso and go "OH WOW THAT IS STRONG STUFF," because they're drinking Extract of Kingsford. They wrongly associate the "strong" flavor with quality, and assume that only The Most Interesting Man in the World and the Old Spice Guy can handle espresso *without* a quart of milk and half a cup of caramel.

ETA: Mickey D's coffee is markedly improved. In fact, it's worlds better . . . the same way that the 2009 Lions were worlds better than the 2008 Lions.

Peace

policy

Edited by policyvote

I got to tour a coffee company for work, and attend a "cupping" seminar on how to determine the qulaity of coffee beans. Incidentally, when you see dark roast and french roast stuff (primarily what Starbucks does) it is often done to overcome poor tasting beans with the flavor of "burnt beans". Interesting stuff . . .

Or, I could have read all the way to the end and just said ^-- listen to that guy.

Peace

policy

I drink coffee about once per month, when I go to Dunkin Doughnuts... Pretty good stuff. But, again, I drink coffee about once a month.

I think DD's coffee is simply not good.

Maybe they should hire Tim Tebow to make their coffee. Heard he can work miracles with water. They spend five minutes with Tim Tebow and their coffee will naturally be better.

Truth.