[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I Think This Is The Year

SEC=UGA

After 10 weeks none of the major teams have truly impressed me on both sides of the ball. I truly believe that this is the year where TCU or BSU should get their shot (with TCU leading the way).

The top two major conference teams, Oregon and Auburn, are not premiere teams. Oregon is playing lights out offense, as is Auburn, but both of these teams have a defective and uninspiring defense. Oregon can put up points in bundles against mediocre PAC 10 defenses much as Auburn has done in an undoubtedly weak SEC.

The best way that I can really contrast Oregon's team this year is by looking at what they did against a very poor Tennessee team. I know that a lot goes in to a game, but, Oregon put a whipping on Tennessee, 48-13... So did UGA 41-14. Now, I'm not saying that UGA could waltz into Outzen, or that if the Ducks came to Sanford, or if they met on a neutral field, that UGA would pull to a close game with the Ducks, but I gotta look at the scores and in doing so have determined that Oregon is putting the beat down on a lot of sub-par teams. The difference between Oregon and Auburn this year, is that Auburn is getting into dog fights with a bunch of sub-par teams. I am most certainly convinced from watching the games that Oregon, until beaten, is the best team in the nation, however. I am further convinced that if Auburn were to represent the SEC in the NC game against Oregon, TCU, or BSU that they would certainly lose as would the rest of the SEC teams.

The way I see it is that TCU is the beast this year. They have a very balanced offense, 4 or 5 guys that can carry the ball extremely well a very effective passing game and they don't turn the ball over. Their defense is extremely stout, as well. They held Air Force to 184 yards rushing (Oklahoma gave up 351 rushing yards to AF.) Their closest game was the season opener against Oregon State and the still won by better than a TD. This is a team that has been getting better all season. Further, they have played some "real" teams in AF, OSU, Baylor and Utah (If the rankings can be believed) and have handled them very easily.

What I'd like to see is TCU v. Oregon for the NC (should things stay the same) and BSU v. Auburn in another BCS bowl. This will undoubetdly give us the best idea as to what these two mid-major powers can actually do. And yes, if Oregon trounces TCU and Auburn trounces Boise we will then know that in the future none of these mid majors deserve a shot... And yes I will scream that the goddamn BCS selection committee got it wrong by keeping Auburn out of the NC game; but, hey, that's how I roll...

For all you betting people out there, I will also predict right now, that the SEC will lose more than half of their bowl games this year... If the SEC team is favored, take the other team and the points. This conference just looks like ass when compared to other seasons.

Edited by SEC=UGA

What I'd like to see is TCU v. Oregon for the NC (should things stay the same) and BSU v. Auburn in another BCS bowl. This will undoubetdly give us the best idea as to what these two mid-major powers can actually do. And yes, if Oregon trounces TCU and Auburn trounces Boise we will then know that in the future none of these mid majors deserve a shot... And yes I will scream that the goddamn BCS selection committee got it wrong by keeping Auburn out of the NC game; but, hey, that's how I roll...

For all you betting people out there, I will also predict right now, that the SEC will lose more than half of their bowl games this year... If the SEC team is favored, take the other team and the points. This conference just looks like ass when compared to other seasons.

Spoken like a sad depressed fan of one of the down SEC east teams. My guess is that alot of SEC East fans feel the same. :wacko:

Not sure how it works if TCU or Boise gets in the BCS NC game, but if they don't only one of those 2 teams can go to a BCS Bowl. Instead we'll get to have BCS bowl matchups that include teams like Virginia Tech (ACC) in one and maybe Pittsbugh (Big East) in another since they are both from AQ conferences.

Lets hope this is the year. I'm getting so sick of this crap. The National Championship game was played a ways back when Oregon came back to beat Stanford.

this is what I am talking about!!! :wacko:

wasn't UA's best effort but I was so impressed by Stanford. So freaking efficent, they never make mistakes, execute at a high level and are just solid everywhere.

Harbaugh is a great coach and Luck is basically Peyton Manning of college football- no one even comes close to this kid as far as managing a game and being mistake-free. He is going to be a great, great NFL QB.

best 1L team in the country

Oh please :wacko: The only road to a legit National Championship must come thru the SEC. :tup:

Bama or Auburn would roll Oregon. as Oregon plays no defense.

the stanford oregon game reminds me of the OSU/Michigan game a couple years back. Then OSU played a team with a real defense, and it was blow out city the other way if they played Bama. Against Auburn, Auburn would simply play enough defense to contain Oregon, and Oregon couldnt stop Newton and Co.

And Last yr it was Locker, now Luck. Sam Bradford was Peyton Manning in college, not either of these 2 tools.

Locker remind me of Jake Plummer

Luck reminds me of Ryan Leaf without the big arm.

Funny both were also Pac-10 guys.

Edited by Living the Dream

It's a shame that their is no invention or example of other sports where all of these teams can play in some kind of tournament to determine who actually IS the best team in the country.

Without a playoff tournament, their is never a true national champion. We are all getting cheated out of what would be one of the most exciting events in all of sports.

It's a shame that their is no invention or example of other sports where all of these teams can play in some kind of tournament to determine who actually IS the best team in the country.

Without a playoff tournament, their is never a true national champion. We are all getting cheated out of what would be one of the most exciting events in all of sports.

Got to disagree. I'm a LSU fan and a Saints fan and I respect LSU BCS National Championships trophies every bit as I do the Saints Superbowl Championship trophy. You can't tell me the NY Giants most recent Superbowl Championship is convincing evidence that they were the best team in the NFL that season. :wacko:

Got to disagree. I'm a LSU fan and a Saints fan and I respect LSU BCS National Championships trophies every bit as I do the Saints Superbowl Championship trophy. You can't tell me the NY Giants most recent Superbowl Championship is convincing evidence that they were the best team in the NFL that season. :wacko:

I like to see things decided on the field via a post-season tournament, rather than by a computer and votes. The Giants & Patriots both knew what they were playing for on that day. The Giants stepped up when the pressure was on and it mattered most. If Boise & TCU go undefeated, and Oregon wins the national championship over Auburn, who is to say that Oregon is the best team ? I want to see it played out on the field

I'm actually shocked that there are people out there that argue against a playoff system in college football. Oh well, to each their own.

That's because you've convinced yourself of the whole "the season is the play-offs" bit they've been selling. You always bring up the NY Giants vs the Pats. However, the only thing that would have "solved" the fact that you think the best team didn't end up holding the Lombardi Trophy would be to, not settle it the way D-1 football does now, but to settle it the way they used to do it. Are you seriously advocating that we go back to a time when, not only the final two teams were determined by a vote, but that we skipped the NC game altogether?

Because the Pats got tripped up in the finals.

So, assuming we agree that there should be at least a one game play-off, the only thing that remains to be settled is how to arrive at who plays in it.

Option 1) gather the eight or so teams that can make a legit claim as to why they should be playing in it. This will include teams with a loss or two that had to endure very tough schedules as well as those who had an easier path but totally laid waste to everyone in their path. Make all those teams play each other and see who emerges.

Option 2) Create a highly complicated and cryptic formula where you need to hope a team you beat 3 months ago doesn't lose their starting QB and stumble down the stretch, thereby sabotaging your SOS. Schedule just enough solid teams to endear yourself to the pollsters but not so many that you actually lose games, and/or have enough teams step on their dicks down the stretch so that you can back-door your way into the finals despite not even playing in your conference championship and/or hope nobody does anything impressive after you played your last game in November because your conference doesn't have a championship game, and/or...

Gosh, it just seems like #1 just makes more sense. And even in the chance that it somehow is not the fairest and most effective, there's no question at all that it would be the most interesting. Sure, there's a very slight possibility that a team will mail in their final regular season game because they know they're going to be top 8 (though you'd need to be pretty bloody sure and you can assume that OSU/Mich, Auburn/Bama, or any of the other rivalry games scheduled for the last week of the season needn't worry about whether or not both teams are showing up). However, even if this happens every now and then, you're trading that one occasional game for seven games every year that should be highly compelling and all with a ton at stake. Will they all be competitive? Of course not. Are the current BCS games always competitive? Certainly not. And half of them are often not even worth turning on. Are you going to watch Pitt v Va Tech this year?

Edited by detlef

Got to disagree. I'm a LSU fan and a Saints fan and I respect LSU BCS National Championships trophies every bit as I do the Saints Superbowl Championship trophy. You can't tell me the NY Giants most recent Superbowl Championship is convincing evidence that they were the best team in the NFL that season. :tup:

you gotta let this go man-

yer damn right the NYG were the best team that year, I can't believe you keep bringing this up...............

now Pittsburgh in Super Bowl XL is another story :wacko:

have to decide it on the field like every other sport. Division II does it right it is mind-boggling D1 has this cluster. The thing is the gap narrows every year between the Boise's, TCU's and the USC and Bama's of the world.

LSU is a great example- as highly ranked as they are, I just can't get past the Tenn game. I think they get exposed in a playoff, and everyone seems to think Boise State would as well, so how would it not determine the best team........

Spoken like a sad depressed fan of one of the down SEC east teams. My guess is that alot of SEC East fans feel the same. :wacko:

Not sure how it works if TCU or Boise gets in the BCS NC game, but if they don't only one of those 2 teams can go to a BCS Bowl. Instead we'll get to have BCS bowl matchups that include teams like Virginia Tech (ACC) in one and maybe Pittsbugh (Big East) in another since they are both from AQ conferences.

I watch a lot of SEC football, it is pretty much on all day saturday, in fact I can't think of an SEC team that I haven't seen play at least 2 times this year (and have watched the rest of them quite a few times more.) I have watched a number of PAC 10, Big 12, Big 10, ACC, Big East, etc... games and with the exception of TCU have seen most of the teams that matter play multiple times (hell I've watched 3 Mizzou games...) and in my opinion the SEC is in dire straits this season, there is not a single complete team in the bunch.

Yes, I am disgruntled with UGA this season, much as I was last season... They are not playing up to their talent level. They have one of the most experienced offensives lines (arguably one of the best in the country talent-wise) and they get pushed around. I give the defense a bit of latitude due to the switch to the 3-4 and they possible not having the personnel to run that defense as effectively as the 4-3 that these guys were recruited to run. But, when you look at the SEC as a whole this year, you have one of two things, either a team with a dynamic offense or a team with a dynamic defense (or a team that doesn't really do either too well - UGA, UT, Vandy, UK, Miss, UF, and SC.) THis does not bode well for the exhibition games in Dec/Jan. Especially when you consider the fact that the lower ranked SEC teams will be playing higher ranked Big 10, PAC 10, Big 12, and ACC teams -

Chick Fila - ACC 2 v. SEC 6

Music City - ACC 6 v. SEC 8

Liberty Bowl - C USA Champ v. SEC 9

Outback - SEC 4/5 v. Big 10 3

Capital One - SEC 3 v. Big 10 2

Gator Bowl - Big 10 4/5 v. SEC 7

Cotton Bowl - SEC 4/5 v. Big 12 2

Any other season I would have complete confidence that the SEC would win the bulk of these matchups... But this season when you look at this schedule you have mediocre SEC teams playing the likes of Iowa, Wisconsin, Penn St. or Nebraska/Okie who would overmatch USC, Ark, Florida, etc...

It just doesn't bode well this year for the SEC. From the matchups I've seen so far the SEC could win the Music City, Liberty, and Cap One, beyond those, not much of a shot.

Florida has had a few problems this year. We lost several stud players to the draft. We have relatively new offensive and defensive coordinators.

However, I think the biggest problem for Florida has been at QB. I think Brantley appears to be an excellent pocket passer. However, Meyers' offense requires a QB who can also run the ball. The QB doesn't have to run as well or as tough as Tebow, but he has to be a legitimate run threat. Sadly, I would be more of a threat to run the ball than Brantley (granted, I'd be running out of fear, but fear is a great motivator).

I will be interested to see the Florida - South Carolina game. I expect we'll see a lot of Reed at QB because he is able to throw the ball and he is a threat to run.

Big 12, and ACC teams -

Chick Fila - ACC 2 v. SEC 6

Music City - ACC 6 v. SEC 8

Liberty Bowl - C USA Champ v. SEC 9

Outback - SEC 4/5 v. Big 10 3

Capital One - SEC 3 v. Big 10 2

Gator Bowl - Big 10 4/5 v. SEC 7

Cotton Bowl - SEC 4/5 v. Big 12 2

Any other season I would have complete confidence that the SEC would win the bulk of these matchups... But this season when you look at this schedule you have mediocre SEC teams playing the likes of Iowa, Wisconsin, Penn St. or Nebraska/Okie who would overmatch USC, Ark, Florida, etc...

It just doesn't bode well this year for the SEC. From the matchups I've seen so far the SEC could win the Music City, Liberty, and Cap One, beyond those, not much of a shot.

Here are some potential Bowl matchups for the SEC. So you don't think SEC can win more than 3? :wacko:

Rutgers vs Kentucky - Birmingham Bowl?

Florida St. vs South Carolina - Chick

North Carolina vs. Miss St - Music

UCF vs Georgia - Liberty

Michigan St. vs Arkansas - Outback

Iowa vs Bama - Cap One

Penn St vs Florida - Gator

Oklahoma St. vs LSU - Cotton

Boise vs Auburn - Sugar

Here are some potential Bowl matchups for the SEC. So you don't think SEC can win more than 3? :wacko:

Rutgers vs Kentucky - Birmingham Bowl?

Florida St. vs South Carolina - Chick

North Carolina vs. Miss St - Music

UCF vs Georgia - Liberty

Michigan St. vs Arkansas - Outback

Iowa vs Bama - Cap One

Penn St vs Florida - Gator

Oklahoma St. vs LSU - Cotton

Boise vs Auburn - Sugar

LSU will be in a BCS bowl. They only have Ark left, and they should roll them, as their one loss was to Aub and they cant jump Auburn to get to the SEC Champ game, unles Auburn loses twice. That wont happen. LSU will be in the BCS top 5 at reg seasons end, so they will be invited to a BCS bowl.

LSU will be in a BCS bowl. They only have Ark left, and they should roll them, as their one loss was to Aub and they cant jump Auburn to get to the SEC Champ game, unles Auburn loses twice. That wont happen. LSU will be in the BCS top 5 at reg seasons end, so they will be invited to a BCS bowl.

The problem you have here is if the underdog (Florida or S Carolina) in the SEC championship wins they get the automatic BCS Sugar Bowl bid potentially leaving two one loss SEC teams to choose from for that remaining BCS bid. I would bet Auburn would have the better of shot of getting that last BCS bid. LSU also has to contend with BAMA as well IF Bama wins the game vs Auburn and Auburn wins the SEC. Again that potentially leaves leaves LSU out of a BCS Bowl should the BCS bowls believe that the defending national champions might be a better draw than an 11-1 LSU squad.

Edited by Rockerbraves

Auburn will have two losses at by season's end. I still think UGA has a good shot to win and they will lose either the Bama game or SEC championship game. Too much drama going on with that team and the defense is not good.

I also think Arkansas can beat LSU, crazier things have happened and the gods might not be paying attention to the LSU/Ark game.