[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cam Newton

Living the Dream

Is it a crime or against NCAA regulations to ask for cash, if you dont get it or dont take it

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5792707

Interesting, this one should take nearly as long as Bush to work out.

Kenny Rogers, the former Mississippi State player who ESPN.com reported allegedly sought money to sign Cam Newton to a national letter of intent with the Bulldogs, said Thursday that Newton's father, Cecil, put a price tag on his son.

Rogers, in an interview with ESPN 103.3 FM in Dallas, was asked if Cecil Newton ever told him how much money it would take to get his son to play for Mississippi State. "Yes, he did," Rogers said.

Asked how much, Rogers said: "Anywhere between $100,000 and $180,000."

Later in the interview, Rogers said he and Cecil Newton first talked after Cam Newton left Florida Gators following the 2008 season. In the course of their conversations, he said Cecil Newton told him, "It's not gonna be free this time."

Rogers said he only was involved with Cecil Newton in regards to Mississippi State.

Rogers said on Nov. 28, 2009, he and Cecil Newton followed each other out of Starkville, Miss., after the Ole Miss-Mississippi State game. He said Newton asked him: "What do you think is going to happen? You think it's going to go through?"

He said he was referred to a Mississippi State booster named Bill Bell. Rogers said he left Bell a message telling him he was with Cecil Newton, who wanted to know if the deal was going to happen.

Bell has not commented publicly on the allegation.

Rogers said he didn't know if Cam Newton knew about the request for money. He said he did not meet Cam Newton until Nov. 27, 2009.

Rogers said he didn't know anything about Newton's recruitment at Auburn or any other school. He said he had "no idea" why Newton chose Auburn or if Auburn paid Newton.

Rogers spoke with his attorney on the phone. The attorney, Doug Zeit, said there was never any discussion about Rogers getting paid out of the money Cecil Newton was asking.

Mississippi State officials declined comment on Rogers' interview Thursday.

A person who answered the telephone at Cecil Newton's home in Atlanta said he wasn't there. The person said he didn't know where Cecil Newton was.

Auburn declined comment through spokesman Kirk Sampson.

In an e-mail to ESPN.com, an NCAA spokeswoman said: "The solicitation of cash or benefits by a prospective student-athlete or another individual on his or her behalf is not allowed under NCAA rules."

Rogers worked for Chicago-based agent Ian Greengross. The NFL Players Association said last week it had filed a disciplinary complaint against Greengross for "violating numerous provisions of the NFLPA's agent regulations while recruiting and representing players." It also targets the actions of Rogers.

In another e-mail, a spokesman said: "Generally speaking, if a third party is marketing a student-athlete, there could be potential agent violations. Under NCAA rules, it doesn't matter what you call yourself or how you are compensated, the actions are what triggers agent violation rules."

The NCAA spokeswoman said: "The decision to rule a student-athlete ineligible is made by the university, not the NCAA. We do not suspend student-athletes. It is a school action. The university can then seek reinstatement on behalf of the student-athlete and reinstatement decisions are made by the NCAA."

John Bond, the former Mississippi State quarterback and teammate of Rogers who told ESPN.com last week that a man seeking money to sign Cam Newton had approached him, told ESPN.com on Thursday: "My story hasn't changed. I absolutely talked with Kenny Rogers, and there are phone records that will show that." Bond said he's scheduled to meet with the FBI on Tuesday and plans to turn over his phone records and anything else they ask for at that point. He said the FBI reached out to his attorney earlier this week wanting to talk with him about the Newton situation, in particular if kids were being shopped out to colleges. That meeting was originally scheduled for Wednesday, but was postponed by the FBI until next Tuesday.

"Until I speak with the FBI, I'd prefer not to say much more," Bond said.

Last Friday, in an interview with ESPN 103.3 in Dallas, Rogers denied having recruited Newton to Mississippi State.

Earlier this week, ESPN reported two sources who recruit for Mississippi State said Cecil and Cam Newton, in separate phone conversations, told them that Cam Newton's college choice would be part of a pay-for-play plan.

Prior to Newton's commitment to Auburn, one of the recruiters said Cecil Newton told him it would take "more than a scholarship" to bring his son to Mississippi State, a request the source said the school would not meet. Cecil Newton also referred the recruiter to a third person who would provide more specifics, the source said.

After Newton committed to Auburn, another source said an emotional Cam Newton phoned another recruiter to express regret that he wouldn't be going to Mississippi State, stating that his father, Cecil, had chosen Auburn for him because "the money was too much."

Mississippi State compliance officials relayed the alleged conversations to Southeastern Conference compliance officials in January, according to two other sources close to the football program. The school said because it didn't get the information requested to the SEC until July 2010 because of "time-consuming eligibility issues involving non-football matters in the winter and spring of 2010."

The NCAA is investigating allegations surrounding the Newtons in regards to the recruiting process. Cam Newton, who is having a Heisman-caliber season for No. 2 Auburn, declined comment earlier this week.

A week ago, ESPN.com reported a man who said he represented Newton allegedly was soliciting a six-figure payment to secure his signature on a national letter of intent. Bond told ESPN.com a teammate of Bond's at Mississippi State in the early 1980s contacted him soon after Newton's official visit to Mississippi State during the Ole Miss game in December, and said he was representing Newton. That man was identified by other sources as Rogers, who played at Mississippi State from 1982 to '85.

Bond said an NCAA investigator came to Mississippi to meet with him in early September as well as with Mississippi State officials.

When interviewed by ESPN.com last Thursday at the family's home in Atlanta, Cecil Newton denied any wrongdoing.

Rogers has a company called Elite Football Preparation, which holds camps in Alabama, Chicago and Mississippi, and matches football prospects with colleges.

Edited by Living the Dream

Who gains from Newton's bad publicity? Not sure but here is one story that claims the entire investigation was started because of a broken promise.

BY JOSEPH GOODMAN

jgoodman@MiamiHerald.com

Cam Newton might have broken rules. He might not have broken rules. One thing is certain: He broke a promise.

The best quarterback in college football is playing at Auburn this season. That wasn't the plan in 2008. In early December of that year, a promise was made between Newton and Florida offensive coordinator Dan Mullen. Mullen was going to Mississippi State and he was taking Newton with him. It was a perfect plan. A pact was made.

A pact was broken.

Mullen couldn't live with that and now Newton will have to live with this scandal for the rest of the season. Did Newton's father sell his son to the highest bidder? Did Newton leave Florida because he cheated academically? It's doubtful any of this will ever be proved. It's clear from where the murky source of Newton's national scrutiny began to flow.

In a sense, it was a package deal. Mississippi State was going to make Mullen the Southeastern Conference's youngest coach and Mullen was going to make Newton the Bulldogs' version of Tim Tebow

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/11/12/1921...l#ixzz1553TSdX5.

man if that is true, and this guy mullen smeared Newton, I hope he never gets another blue chipper again. This kid owed nothing to him, sure they may have decided at one time lets do this. But Newton at one time decided to go to Florida and that changed too. Kids change their mind, and have a right to do so. smearing kids because you dont like their decisions, if this is true is low.

This kid is as impressive as any player Ive seen since Vince Young beat SC in the Rose Bowl. I hope to see him on the big stage of the NC game this yr.

As do I. Though expect that a$$hole waste of oxygen Nick Saban to pull every dirty trick in the book over the next 12 days to keep Cam out of the Iron Bowl.

ESPN is the biggest joke ever. They run with this story without any facts, and then there headline for the game is "Cam and Auburn overcome controversy and win over Georgia."

It doesn't matter the sport. Favre in the NFL. Lebrick James in NBA, Cam in College Football, ESPN is a joke.

As do I. Though expect that a$$hole waste of oxygen Nick Saban to pull every dirty trick in the book over the next 12 days to keep Cam out of the Iron Bowl.

ESPN is the biggest joke ever. They run with this story without any facts, and then there headline for the game is "Cam and Auburn overcome controversy and win over Georgia."

It doesn't matter the sport. Favre in the NFL. Lebrick James in NBA, Cam in College Football, ESPN is a joke.

People are sentenced to life in prison for murder on less evidence. There is an eye witness to this at least........

People are sentenced to life in prison for murder on less evidence. There is an eye witness to this at least........

Yep, this is going to be a very sad ending to a great season for Auburn. Maybe it will take them 6 months to finish the investigation, SC got 4 yrs before it was done, and they had witnesses to those crimes as well. But when it became someone other than yahoo reporting, things got interesting,

Yep, this is going to be a very sad ending to a great season for Auburn. Maybe it will take them 6 months to finish the investigation, SC got 4 yrs before it was done, and they had witnesses to those crimes as well. But when it became someone other than yahoo reporting, things got interesting,

What's sad is if this investigation is not wrapped up soon it has the potential to totally ruin this year's college football season aka SEC Championship, BCS NC as well as the Heisman.

man if that is true, and this guy mullen smeared Newton, I hope he never gets another blue chipper again. This kid owed nothing to him, sure they may have decided at one time lets do this. But Newton at one time decided to go to Florida and that changed too. Kids change their mind, and have a right to do so. smearing kids because you dont like their decisions, if this is true is low.

There's pretty good implications that it wasn't Newton's decision to leave Florida.

Forida and Auburn are two different schools, right? I have no idea what you are trying to prove.

I'm not trying to prove anything, numbnutz. I'm pointing out that the post I was quoting implied Newton changed his mind about attending the University of Florida, when there is ample published material that suggests his departure had way more to do with cheating in the classroom and criminal charges outside of it.

I didn't know there was any doubt it was mostly related to stealing the laptop. My point is that the laptop thing and pay for play were two different things , two different schools, and a couple years apart.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like taking a shower after reading the official NCAA "ruling" on Cam Newton's status. Does anyone really believe this was done for "the good of the athlete"? Hogwash. This decision was made primarily to remove the dark clouds hovering over the impending SEC conference championship game and subsequent BCS bowl games. I believe if Newton was just another player on a different team, he would be ruled ineligible "for the good of the NCAA".

But what is really good for the NCAA is the almighty dollar... and they pretty much guaranteed their payday for another season - and assured continued impropriety between boosters, athletes, and athletic departments with this decision.

And if I read another Auburn fan defending the honor of Cam Newton and expressing admiration for his pimp family... and how this was all a big setup, I think I will puke.

The Newton's played Florida, MSU, and probably Auburn, and in a few months they will all be smiling for the cameras with Cam's fat new NFL contract.

At least Reggie Bush stuck around for a few years. This cat will be one and done...

I feel like taking a shower after reading the official NCAA "ruling" on Cam Newton's status. Does anyone really believe this was done for "the good of the athlete"? Hogwash. This decision was made primarily to remove the dark clouds hovering over the impending SEC conference championship game and subsequent BCS bowl games. I believe if Newton was just another player on a different team, he would be ruled ineligible "for the good of the NCAA".

But what is really good for the NCAA is the almighty dollar... and they pretty much guaranteed their payday for another season - and assured continued impropriety between boosters, athletes, and athletic departments with this decision.

And if I read another Auburn fan defending the honor of Cam Newton and expressing admiration for his pimp family... and how this was all a big setup, I think I will puke.

The Newton's played Florida, MSU, and probably Auburn, and in a few months they will all be smiling for the cameras with Cam's fat new NFL contract.

At least Reggie Bush stuck around for a few years. This cat will be one and done...

couldn't agree more. I mean, when I first saw the headline - I thought it was either a joke or a mis-print.

An absolute joke is what it is - and just makes the NCAA look pathetic. This is going to come back and bite the NCAA in the ass you watch. All the dirty details will surface............Also sets up a bad precedent - just whore out ur kid, go looking for some loot and ur all good.

Says the Alabama fan.

Yes, I'm a Bama fan - but that doesn't mean I am against other SEC teams... even Auburn. I thought they got jobbed in '04 and were the best team in the country in '93. I routed for Florida in '06 and LSU in '03 and '07. But this situation is different. Auburn snubbed their noses at the NCAA and it looks like it will pay off.

negative - this whole story stinks and the NCAA is going to get raked over the coals on this one long-term

Wojo

This kind of crap has been going on for years but NOW the NCAA has met their maker? Yeah ok. If that isn't hyperbole I don't know what is. Reality is, if Cam Newton didn't BARELY win the starting QB job in the spring to begin with, this wouldn't be a story at all as it wouldn't help ESPN pop a Nielson rating. Which ultimately is what this is REALLY about. Does the story smell? Sure. But lets not act like now all of the sudden the NCAA got raked over the coals "long term."

In some weird :wacko: way this Cam thing reminds me abit of Tonya Harding. I know this is off the wall and maybe not a good analogy but I do see some semblance. Like Cam she too was allowed to compete at the highest level at the Olympics despite the many who doubted her claim of innocence. To this day I don't think she's ever admitted to having involvement in the plot against Nancy Kerrigan. However she did admit to being involved in the cover up.

Personally I could see Cam possibly not knowing about the scheme to grab loot for play, but I find it nearly impossible that he had ABSOLUTELY NO knowledge that his dad asked for the $$ before this story broke or even before signing with Auburn. Although in my opinion, I really don't think it's wrong to discuss these kinds of things in the recruiting process. Now acting on them is a problem.

If I had a son who was a super recruit I could certainly see myself shopping him around without his knowledge and so I really don't think it's fair to punish the son.

In some weird :wacko: way this Cam thing reminds me abit of Tonya Harding. I know this is off the wall and maybe not a good analogy but I do see some semblance. Like Cam she too was allowed to compete at the highest level at the Olympics despite the many who doubted her claim of innocence. To this day I don't think she's ever admitted to having involvement in the plot against Nancy Kerrigan. However she did admit to being involved in the cover up.

Personally I could see Cam possibly not knowing about the scheme to grab loot for play, but I find it nearly impossible that he had ABSOLUTELY NO knowledge that his dad asked for the $$ before this story broke or even before signing with Auburn. Although in my opinion, I really don't think it's wrong to discuss these kinds of things in the recruiting process. Now acting on them is a problem.

If I had a son who was a super recruit I could certainly see myself shopping him around without his knowledge and so I really don't think it's fair to punish the son.

That opens up such a huge can of worms though. A massive, massive can of worms. If the parents are getting paid for the kid playing, the kid is a pro. Dad gets 200K, is he not allowed to spend any of that on the kid? Now, I understand that there's no proof of anyone getting paid, just an admission of guilt for shopping him. Well, they don't have actually catch you with your pants down to bust someone on prostitution charges. Money doesn't actually have to change hands.

u gotta be fn joking - are u serious with this? first off all- solid ethics,

2nd of all - I believe in the NCAA's eyes the recruit=father/family and there really is no separation between the two. Which makes this ruling all the more puzzling - all they are saying is they haven't found evidence on Cam YET.

disaster looming for all parties involved, especially the NCAA

u gotta be fn joking - are u serious with this? first off all- solid ethics,

2nd of all - I believe in the NCAA's eyes the recruit=father/family and there really is no separation between the two. Which makes this ruling all the more puzzling - all they are saying is they haven't found evidence on Cam YET.

disaster looming for all parties involved, especially the NCAA

Have you ever had a son being recruited? If you did are you saying you would not shop him around? That's hard to believe.

So you would let your son handle all the negotiations by himself? I'm not saying I would ask for money under the table, but I would certainly find out exactly what is being offered. I can guarantee not all offers are the same. Unless you are really really naive??

That opens up such a huge can of worms though. A massive, massive can of worms. If the parents are getting paid for the kid playing, the kid is a pro. Dad gets 200K, is he not allowed to spend any of that on the kid? Now, I understand that there's no proof of anyone getting paid, just an admission of guilt for shopping him. Well, they don't have actually catch you with your pants down to bust someone on prostitution charges. Money doesn't actually have to change hands.

The key words here are " If the parents are getting paid for the kid playing, the kid is a pro." This has not been proven and even if it was if it was done without Cam's knowledge I still not sure why the kid should be punished. One thing that is certain is USC and the Bush's are watching this story with great interest. Especially if it turns out Cam's family did receive money and Cam knew about it.

The key words here are " If the parents are getting paid for the kid playing, the kid is a pro." This has not been proven and even if it was if it was done without Cam's knowledge I still not sure why the kid should be punished. One thing that is certain is USC and the Bush's are watching this story with great interest. Especially if it turns out Cam's family did receive money and Cam knew about it.

Well, certainly there is a difference between money changing hands and not. But not a huge one IMO. Again, if a whore asks for money for sex, she's a whore even if it never gets to the point of sex.

As for separating the parents. Again, that opens up a can of worms. Because that opens up the door for money changing hands but the kid "not knowing". How is that not a violation. It's like the layers of the mafia. Kid stays out of it, just like the mob boss, and anything goes.

When I was 18, I had no idea how much money my parents made. My dad did not tell me every time he got a raise. If my parents went out and bought a new car, I assumed they had the money to do so. Now, it might be strange if dad pulled up in a Rolls, but maybe my great uncle Ned who I never knew died. Bottom line, if you allow parents to shop their kid, you open the door big time.

Will some honest kids get screwed? Absolutely. However, it seems like a place where you need to draw the line if you're going to bother to continue pretending that it's not a pro game.