[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Trash Time fantasy points

Mark5

After the KC coach thing and watching the Eagles start running the ball it got me thinking about "trash time" points.. Your team is way up in the score and you start easing off the pedal yet when your team is down by 20 its ok to go balls to the walls trying to catch up?? The old saying of "its their responsibility to stop them should apply ALL THE TIME... Especially at the PRO level.. In college when they play a far inferior team I can see easing up.. Is it a bad thing to pummel another PRO team?

After the KC coach thing and watching the Eagles start running the ball it got me thinking about "trash time" points.. Your team is way up in the score and you start easing off the pedal yet when your team is down by 20 its ok to go balls to the walls trying to catch up?? The old saying of "its their responsibility to stop them should apply ALL THE TIME... Especially at the PRO level.. In college when they play a far inferior team I can see easing up.. Is it a bad thing to pummel another PRO team?

BB doesnt think so!!

I watched Wisconsin hang 83 on Indiana last weekend in football. The second to last score was a long TD pass late in the 4th quarter. The caveat: The QB throwing the ball was a freshman and the kid catching the ball was a freshman walk-on. The last score for Wisconsin was very late when the freshman QB scored a TD on a long run after he scambled trying to run time off the clock and a gaping hole opened all the way to the end zone.

The point being that even though Wisconsin scored points that it clearly didn't need to win, and it may have looked like poor sportsmanship, the Badgers were actually getting their young players way down the bench some real game time experience and Indiana just flat out gave up. That there was no pursuit or fill on that QB scramble was embarassing, since it was obvious that Wisconsin was not making an attempt to run the ball in until the seas parted and left nothing but open space for the kid.

Indiana deserved what it got at the end. It was a reminder that in sports even when you are beaten you should be giving your best effort. If the winning coach determines to call off the dogs through extremely conservative play calling and/or sending in the 4th string, then it is still on the D to play all out until the game is over. That's true at any level, but most especially in the pros where guys are getting paid hugh money to play and fans are paying hugh money to watch.

Would it be okay if you went to a movie and the actors just stopped acting in the last 15 minutes because you knew what the outcome was going to be?

Edited by Bronco Billy

These guys get paid MILLIONS. If they can't handle getting their ass handed to them, then they need to stop the opponant, otherwise, clean your mangina off and get to work!

I watched Wisconsin hang 83 on Indiana last weekend in football. The second to last score was a long TD pass late in the 4th quarter. The caveat: The QB throwing the ball was a freshman and the kid catching the ball was a freshman walk-on. The last score for Wisconsin was very late when the freshman QB scored a TD on a long run after he scambled trying to run time off the clock and a gaping hole opened all the way to the end zone.

The point being that even though Wisconsin scored points that it clearly didn't need to win, and it may have looked like poor sportsmanship, the Badgers were actually getting their young players way down the bench some real game time experience and Indiana just flat out gave up. That there was no pursuit or fill on that QB scramble was embarassing, since it was obvious that Wisconsin was not making an attempt to run the ball in until the seas parted and left nothing but open space for the kid.

Indiana deserved what it got at the end. It was a reminder that in sports even when you are beaten you should be giving your best effort. If the winning coach determines to call off the dogs through extremely conservative play calling and/or sending in the 4th string, then it is still on the D to play all out until the game is over. That's true at any level, but most especially in the pros where guys are getting paid hugh money to play and fans are paying hugh money to watch.

Would it be okay if you went to a movie and the actors just stopped acting in the last 15 minutes because you knew what the outcome was going to be?

college is different IMO. no reason to run up the score, no tiebreaker advantage and they're not getting paid. walk-ons or not, there's no reason to embarass another another team by putting up 80+ points. if the walk-ons want to score so bad, they should've played D III.

college is different IMO. no reason to run up the score, no tiebreaker advantage and they're not getting paid. walk-ons or not, there's no reason to embarass another another team by putting up 80+ points. if the walk-ons want to score so bad, they should've played D III.

Thanks for missing the point completely.

My personal view is that so long as the other team is within 35 pts, you keep playing as hard as you can until about midway through the 4th Q - then you go into full-on clock-killing mode. 21-28 pts can disappear real fast in the NFL, so I see no reason to let up unless you've got a comfortable cushion over that amount. All that said, I have no issue with teams continuing to go full bore when they're up by huge amounts . . . unless we're talking about late in the 4th Q.

Ya I was in Vegas this past weekend and saw some of this game. Indiana stopped trying and I don't blame Wisconsin for running plays with younger guys. As for the pros, like BB and the 2007 Patriots would say, if you want us to stop scoring, then stop us.