[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

TSA Airport Screening

Square

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In "Up in the Air," that ironic take on the cramped freneticism of airport life, George Clooney explains why he always follows Asians in the security line:

"They pack light, travel efficiently, and they got a thing for slip-on shoes, God love 'em."

"That's racist!"

"I'm like my mother. I stereotype. It's faster."

That riff is a crowd-pleaser because everyone knows that the entire apparatus of the security line is a national homage to political correctness. Nowhere do more people meekly acquiesce to more useless inconvenience and needless indignity for less purpose. Wizened seniors strain to untie their shoes; beltless salesmen struggle comically to hold up their pants; 3-year-olds scream while being searched insanely for explosives - when everyone, everyone, knows that none of these people is a threat to anyone.

The ultimate idiocy is the full-body screening of the pilot. The pilot doesn't need a bomb or box cutter to bring down a plane. All he has to do is drive it into the water, like the EgyptAir pilot who crashed his plane off Nantucket while intoning "I rely on God," killing all on board.

But we must not bring that up. We pretend that we go through this nonsense as a small price paid to ensure the safety of air travel. Rubbish. This has nothing to do with safety - 95 percent of these inspections, searches, shoe removals and pat-downs are ridiculously unnecessary. The only reason we continue to do this is that people are too cowed to even question the absurd taboo against profiling - when the profile of the airline attacker is narrow, concrete, uniquely definable and universally known. So instead of seeking out terrorists, we seek out tubes of gel in stroller pouches.

The junk man's revolt marks the point at which a docile public declares that it will tolerate only so much idiocy. Metal detector? Back-of-the-hand pat? Okay. We will swallow hard and pretend airline attackers are randomly distributed in the population.

But now you insist on a full-body scan, a fairly accurate representation of my naked image to be viewed by a total stranger? Or alternatively, the full-body pat-down, which, as the junk man correctly noted, would be sexual assault if performed by anyone else?

This time you have gone too far, Big Bro'. The sleeping giant awakes. Take my shoes, remove my belt, waste my time and try my patience. But don't touch my junk.

this

he's got a point there.

I was actually in line behind a pilot who was complaining about screening. He went through the facts that he has a fire axe, flare gun, and you know... the plane controls in the cockpit so it's kind of silly to take his nail clippers.

I was actually in line behind a pilot who was complaining about screening. He went through the facts that he has a fire axe, flare gun, and you know... the plane controls in the cockpit so it's kind of silly to take his nail clippers.

I also heard that pilots (due to the elevation) are exposed to the same amount of radiation as a nuclear power plan worker. The body scans would only add on to that.

I couldn't give a flip about the flyers, but I do care about the people (Flight Attendants, Pilots, and maybe even very frequent flyers) who travel daily.

Why not issue them a tag similar to what the radiologists wear to monitor their radiation intake? :wacko:

I fly 15-20 times a year and would prefer no scanners or gropings. I'm glad people are starting to push back on the crazy police state we're morphing into.

"Wah wah wah, I'm so scared, please protect me!" :wacko:

I'm starting to think one half of the country should dicvorce the other half - divide up assets and debts and move on.

If I may.... You people making a big deal about the pat downs, the scans, etc... are insane, sorry, just how I see it. What you are saying is akin to demanding that police not patrol the highways and roads looking for reckless drivers and drunks. You would then be the first group to scream about the sheer incompetence of the police as soon as someone you knew were killed by said drunk or reckless driver.

But, back to the point. Are you really asserting that you do not want to have security at airports that will check the passengers for contraband prior to getting on the airplane. That we should not have to walk through metal detectors, that we should not have security pat down people, that we should not have narcotic/bomb sniffing dogs? Everyone should simply be on the honor system, hey, no, we're not going to check any of you people, we're just gonna let any person who can afford a ticket freely board an airplane without any safety checks? K, got ya, makes sense, perfectly rational and good sense. Especially considering that terrorists and nut bags have been using airplanes as a favorite target for hijackings, moving contraband, and projectiles over the past 30 or so years...

The same people complaining now are the same people you didn't hear a peep from when a Republican congress and president decided it would be a grand idea to catalogue the books you checked out at a local library. The same people that championed the tough measures and simplicity of getting a wire tap based on a hunch from a federal agent. But, now, a democrat congress and president want to subject you to a body scan prior to getting on a plane and all of a sudden the government is violating your god given rights to freely carry what ever the fu(k you want to on a plane by checking your person, really, ok, got it... Oh, no, it isn't that you say, they are taking graphic images of your naked body and they make take those images home and jerk off to them, hell they may even be sitting in the booth at the very moment, eyes rolled back in their head, drooling on the video screen, wanking it right there in their monitoring room, oh, the humanity. Believe me, if they want to get their jollies, they can find much more graphic things on the internet enabled computers in that room.

THis isn't about freedom, this isn't about the big bad government invading your rights, this is about a bunch of nutjobs (many who championed the patriot act) complaining about a minimally invasive search prior to getting on a 70 ton tube, loaded with fuel, that will ascend to 30,000 feet at speeds approaching 600MPH... Hell, if the cops suspect you of DUI they can pretty much force you to give them a sample of your breath, urine or blood... or you don't drive until the case is adjudicated. If they feel you have hung around a street corner too long talking to random passerbys they can pat you down. So, here is the way I see it. YOu don't want your "rights" violated before getting on a plane. Fine, they set up a court date and once it is adjudicated you are allowed to fly again, but only if you subject yourself to a full body cavity search prior to the next flight. Either that or drive and take your chance with the overzealous cops in Laurens County, GA.

If I may.... You people making a big deal about the pat downs, the scans, etc... are insane, sorry, just how I see it. What you are saying is akin to demanding that police not patrol the highways and roads looking for reckless drivers and drunks. You would then be the first group to scream about the sheer incompetence of the police as soon as someone you knew were killed by said drunk or reckless driver.

I think the point is that the police have to have a reason for pulling people over on the highways. They can't just randomly stop every 10th person and then during that stop treat them as if they are already criminals. People are revolting because the TSA refuses to actually profile the way that the police do. If the TSA would simply target criminals instead of randomly treating us all like criminals, then I think the new security methods would be a lot more acceptable.

I think the point is that the police have to have a reason for pulling people over on the highways. They can't just randomly stop every 10th person and then during that stop treat them as if they are already criminals. People are revolting because the TSA refuses to actually profile the way that the police do. If the TSA would simply target criminals instead of randomly treating us all like criminals, then I think the new security methods would be a lot more acceptable.

At the Atlanta airport roughly 241,000 passengers per day arrive or depart from the airport... Sending everyone for a pat down is not feasible, thus, there need to be other mechanics used to inspect said people. Body scanners, whether they be metal detectors or x-ray machines need to be employed. To ensure that said machines work one needs to do random checks of said people by hand or more scrutiny. Even at a .01% failure rate by the machines, that would allow possibly 880,000 people per year to pass through with contraband, so by checking every tenth or hundreth person, they can further lower that number of possible breaches. And, if you think that the TSA doesn't profile, you're outta your gourd.

And if you think cops don't randomly stop people, you are dead wrong. They have latitude, typically, you won't get pulled for speeding, but they do on occasion stop that random guy going 8 MPH over the speed limit, or the guy with a burned out license plate bulb, or the person who has a cracked windshield, just to see what's up.

But, back to the point. Are you really asserting that you do not want to have security at airports that will check the passengers for contraband prior to getting on the airplane. That we should not have to walk through metal detectors, that we should not have security pat down people, that we should not have narcotic/bomb sniffing dogs? Everyone should simply be on the honor system, hey, no, we're not going to check any of you people, we're just gonna let any person who can afford a ticket freely board an airplane without any safety checks? K, got ya, makes sense, perfectly rational and good sense. Especially considering that terrorists and nut bags have been using airplanes as a favorite target for hijackings, moving contraband, and projectiles over the past 30 or so years...

The same people complaining now are the same people you didn't hear a peep from when a Republican congress and president decided it would be a grand idea to catalogue the books you checked out at a local library. The same people that championed the tough measures and simplicity of getting a wire tap based on a hunch from a federal agent. But, now, a democrat congress and president want to subject you to a body scan prior to getting on a plane and all of a sudden the government is violating your god given rights to freely carry what ever the fu(k you want to on a plane by checking your person, really, ok, got it... Oh, no, it isn't that you say, they are taking graphic images of your naked body and they make take those images home and jerk off to them, hell they may even be sitting in the booth at the very moment, eyes rolled back in their head, drooling on the video screen, wanking it right there in their monitoring room, oh, the humanity. Believe me, if they want to get their jollies, they can find much more graphic things on the internet enabled computers in that room.

THis isn't about freedom, this isn't about the big bad government invading your rights, this is about a bunch of nutjobs (many who championed the patriot act) complaining about a minimally invasive search prior to getting on a 70 ton tube, loaded with fuel, that will ascend to 30,000 feet at speeds approaching 600MPH... Hell, if the cops suspect you of DUI they can pretty much force you to give them a sample of your breath, urine or blood... or you don't drive until the case is adjudicated. If they feel you have hung around a street corner too long talking to random passerbys they can pat you down. So, here is the way I see it. YOu don't want your "rights" violated before getting on a plane. Fine, they set up a court date and once it is adjudicated you are allowed to fly again, but only if you subject yourself to a full body cavity search prior to the next flight. Either that or drive and take your chance with the overzealous cops in Laurens County, GA.

+ infinity. I sure as hell dont like the security stuff, and wish a little more discretion would be involved, but I can understand why they did it. I still think that having flight marshalls and better cockpit doors is a better idea,

This post was damn near reasonable . . someone hijack your account? :wacko:

+ infinity. I sure as hell dont like the security stuff, and wish a little more discretion would be involved, but I can understand why they did it. I still think that having flight marshalls and better cockpit doors is a better idea,

This post was damn near reasonable . . someone hijack your account? :wacko:

Bite my cock you hack... :tup:

Agree with the Marshalls and doors. 1 problem, just the flights coming into and out of ATL would require 1.84 million air marshals if you had two per flight.

Bite my cock you hack... :wacko:

Agree with the Marshalls and doors. 1 problem, just the flights coming into and out of ATL would require 1.84 million air marshals if you had two per flight.

So none of them would fly more than once? Seems inefficient.

I'm not going to read this whole mess as the first part is bad enough. I'm asserting that their are smarter, more affective, less intrusive methods that are deployed in many other countries and we are ingoring them for a costly, lengthy, inferior service. Basically some Washington politician can put money into his side business by selling a bill of goods to a bunch of sheeple that think that flying on a commercial airplane is super dangerous (which is statistically proven wrong). ::wacko: People either get it or they don't but I can't see what's so difficult to grasp about it.

I believe that flying is not a guaranteed right, but it is a right in the way that they have to have good reason to take it away from you (the same way the courts have ruled on being able to drive).

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

So none of them would fly more than once? Seems inefficient.

You want to do the math with the time schedules for when flights land and take off, figure out the number of hours that each one can work in the day, etc... I'm using this as a simple, maybe exaggerated, number, but it gives you an idea of the scope that you are dealing with.

But, it will be inefficient, some idiot government employee, just as lazy as me, will come to the same conclusion, only after 500+ hours, where as I came up with the number in a little under 4 seconds.

Cops have the random DUI checkpoints all over the place. They've had them for years. Where have the protests been?