[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Playoff Seeding and Tie Breaker Rules...

SpinalTapp

I don't know about your league, but we have never had this much parity amongst all teams. In fact, at the start of this week, there were six teams with a 5-6 record and only a handful playing each other. I have no doubt matchups will reduce that six 5-6 teams down to at least three. However, there is a great chance that three or more teams will land at 5-6.

How does your team break three way ties?

1. Head to head amongst the three or more teams? Do you require two teams to have a complete sweep of all other teams in order to continue at this first "weed out" category or do you simply go with the old round robin method. What if two of the teams are from the same division? What do you do with those wins/losses compared to the other "round robin" games? I have heard some folks immediately go to the second level tie breaker clip if two of the teams had played each other twice - regardless of the round robin finish or sweeper.

2. Divisional records - the two teams with the best divisional records are in, unless there is a tie amongst two or more. There is no requirement for sweeper in this category as head to head matchups did not apply here. If two or more teams are tied with same divisional record, move to third level tie breaker.

3. Total Points scored - simple as it gets.

Your input is appreciated. I am interested to see how others do this too.

Unless one of the teams swept BOTH the other teams they are ties with, our first tiebreaker is total points.

What if four teams are tied for the wild card and two of the teams are 2-1 and two of the teams are 1-2. Would all four teams move to the next tie breaker category as there was no sweeper or would the two 2-1 teams make the wild card and the 1-2 teams be out?

How does the NFL handle this situation?

Thanks

How does the NFL handle this situation?

Thanks

For division standings, H2H only applies if there is a full sweep. For wildcard, it is best H2H winning percentage amongst the teams.

Edited by Big John

One thing to consider in comparing how the NFL breaks ties and how FF Leagues break ties, is that NFL teams don't get penalized for bye weeks. If your stud is on a bye and your opponent's isn't in one particular week, and your opponent beats you in that one week of the season, does that mean that he had a better year than you? I like to break ties based on a full season of information instead of only one week of it.

Total points scored will break ties and it doesn't matter who you beat and who beat you. You wouldn't all have the same record unless you were able to beat some teams that another person you're tied with even though he may have got you in a H2H contest.

NFL Tiebreakers (just for FYI/interest...): http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

Here's what we do in my fantasy league - emphasis more on the head to head mathcups, rather than points (although I see the reasoning for using points, first...)

Tiebreaker for Playoffs: (3 division winners and one wild card...)

1. Overall record

2. Head to Head competition (see note below).

3. Division Record

4. Total points scored for the season.

5. Breakdown (between teams involved)

Note: If more than 2 teams are tied for the same spot then a mixed head to head record will be used to determine the tie. For example if 3 teams are tied for the same spot then you look at the record of those three teams against all the teams that are tied. The team with the best record against the other tied teams is the winner. If any two teams are tied for the best then the tie breaker goes to the next tie breaker (division record, then total points scored, etc) Only the teams that are tied for the best mixed head to head record will be eligible. For example if 4 teams are going for the wildcard spot and have the same record and 2 of the teams have a 2-1 record against the other teams and 2 of the teams are 1-2, then the team that has the best division record, or, most points out of the 2 teams that are 2-1, is declared the winner of the tie breaker.

Playoff game tiebreakers. Each playoff team will submit a lineup of three bench players to have a cumulative tiebreaking score, as well as choose any one bench player as the second tiebreak, should the first tiebreak be a tie…

in one league if multiple teams, we use head to head winning pctg among the teams involved( that usually weeds some out) then total points.

What do you do if there are three or more teams tied and two are divisional rivals that have played each other twice (all other teams only played each other once) and they have (1) split the series or (2) one team swept the other?

I should say that I was never actually successful in ever getting this adopted in one of my leagues. Then again, I stopped playing in that league a few years ago and it seems it's about to dissolve now because of all the endless bickering.

None the less, I see absolutely no reason why total points shouldn't be the first tie breaker.

Reasons, and in no particular order

1) If you use decimal scoring, it is quite likely the only rule you'll need because of how unlikely two teams will have, not only the same record, but the exact points scored.

2) Total points is arguably the best barometer of who the strongest team is. In fact, one could argue that, if you wanted to reward the "best" teams, you wouldn't use head to head at all, but rather have it a total points league. Now, I understand why it is way more fun to have head to head and this is, after all, a game. However, it seems like a nice bone to throw.

People will always play the "They don't go by total points scored in the NFL" card but that is just lame. Because, unlike the NFL, you have no control over how many points your opponent scores.

Divisional records don't always show the whole story either...

This year I'm 4-2 in my division. I've lost to the same team twice. The first weeek I played them I had my lowest scoring week of the year and the second he had his highest scoring week of the year... My overall record is 7-4 and I'm leading the Division.... (also 2 people from my division will most likely make the playoffs due to overall records)

I personally think that Division records should strictly be for winning a Division and not factor in as a tie break for the playoffs.

We dispense with the other tiebreakers and just do total YTD points as the first one. We do have a list after that including head to heads, etc (goes through about 4 or 5 choices down to coin flip at the end), but we've never had a tie in total points for seeding that I can remember.

used to do head to head matchups in a 12 team league and that got very bad one year with a 4 way tie for 1st and no "clear" winner......total points is the easiest,,and really the best measure of the best team..for the tie breaker

if by some ridiculous chance total points is tied then we do head to head, then highest weekly score for the year