[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Walking Dead on AMC

montster

Anyone watching "The Walking Dead" on AMC? One of my favorite shows right now, and one of the only ones I can't wait to watch. Sucks that there's only one more episode, and, even though they've renewed it for 13 more, I don't think they'll air them until next fall.

Anyone watching "The Walking Dead" on AMC? One of my favorite shows right now, and one of the only ones I can't wait to watch. Sucks that there's only one more episode, and, even though they've renewed it for 13 more, I don't think they'll air them until next fall.

I am hooked big time. This show is a very good drama even without the Zombies. But the zombies are freaking fantastic and they do not pull any punches with the gore factor on the show. I mean, eating an entire horse in a matter of minutes was awesome! The pick-ax to the head, multiple times, until the skull simply turned to mush was also awesome!

The cast is great and the acting is very well done.

ETA: The redneck brother at the camp is my favorite character right now

Edited by cliaz

ETA: The redneck brother at the camp is my favorite character right now

I have not read the comics, so perhaps this was addressed there. I also avoided the spoilers in the recent Entertainment Weekly story. But my theory about Merle

is that he stole the truck and drove a bunch of zombies up to the camp to get revenge on them for leaving him.

I told one friend this, and he said that was totally obvious, while another friend said it never occurred to her. So I'm either pretty clever or sorta dumb.

They're only attracted to living flesh. There's a segment in episode three where they discuss it and use it to their advantage... reminded me of the movie "Serenity" and how they used it with the Rievers.

Zombies have dead flesh. I guess the essential nutrients that zombies need exist only in the flesh of the living.

OK, so this isn't a spin-off of I Am Legend? I always assumed that was the case. So, these aren't people infected with some disease but actual living dead? I mean, I realize that's in the title, But I've only seen bits and pieces (which I did find entertaining, btw) and assumed it was some sort of deal like the movie (minus the bit about them only coming out after dark and the fact that they move slowly, of course).

But my theory about Merle

is that he stole the truck and drove a bunch of zombies up to the camp to get revenge on them for leaving him.

That was the first idea that popped into my head.

ETA: I think the show is good but not so great as some of you make it sound.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

:wacko: seriously? this is your logical problem with the verisimitude of zombie movies? :tup:

:tup: Well, if I was surrounded by zombies the thought would cross my mind.

Though that does remind me. I had a step dad who was kind of a dick. I remember we were watching one of the Death Wish movies. Dude is blowing up half of NYC in order to stop a group of street thugs. Crazy stuff happening all over the place. And, out of nowhere, he says, "Oh, what crap. You would never use a gun of that caliber at such close range."

OK, so this isn't a spin-off of I Am Legend? I always assumed that was the case. So, these aren't people infected with some disease but actual living dead? I mean, I realize that's in the title, But I've only seen bits and pieces (which I did find entertaining, btw) and assumed it was some sort of deal like the movie (minus the bit about them only coming out after dark and the fact that they move slowly, of course).

The comic is a spin-off of every single Zombie movie that came before. Mainly, it borrows from George Romero's Night of the Living Dead and its sequels. Just like that movie, it's a contrast of how horrible the zombies are, but how much worse the humans are. Same theme as The Beach, 28 Days, and of course the original concept was from Lord of the Flies.

Edited by electricrelish

Zombie apocalypse falls under a broader genre known as post apocalyptic/apocalypic/Dystopian society fiction which has a very large appeal. What makes it so appealing is that it gives us, the viewers or readers, the willies for several reasons.

Zombies are the ultimate trinity of horror. They remind us that we are mortal and we think about our own ends and what happens to us afterward (or what wont happen to us), they touch on the taboo of cannibalism or the fear of being eaten alive (a primal fear), and they show us that with all of our intelligence and ingenuity we are powerless against them and cannot reason with them.

Zombie fiction also brings to light one of our overall fears we have in modern times and that is the collapse of the civilized world. At any given time the stability of our society is only 9 meals away from a complete breakdown. Most people will not work towards a unifying goal of supporting the greater good of humanity but instead look to protect their own.

However, Zombie fiction has a way of getting people to actively join in the fiction. My zombie survival gear:

4-wheeler in the back of a pickup truck (both easily found around here between Raleigh and Durham)

Flares (Find any cop car that has been flipped over by the Zombies)

Two 16-gauge shotguns (taken from the cop cars)

Two .44s (easily found around here between Raleigh and Durham)

Two 9mms (taken off the cops)

M-16 A2 with M203 grenade launcher (any dead national guard)

Bear Archery Assault Compound Bow with a diaper dirt load of 3 blade broadheads

3 Jewish midgets

Ham radio

I'm ready to go. Bring on the Zombies!

I say a very well done season ender.

WARNING - SPOILERS BE HERE - ARRRGGGG:

I really want to know what the doctor whispered in to Rick's ear. His face seemed to drop big time after hearing it.

The almost rape scene was very intense and well done. The acting is amazing. I noticed I had that adrenalin feeling coursing through my body by the end of the scene and I was in a pissy mood for him trying that crap.

Edited by cliaz

I say a very well done season ender.

WARNING - SPOILERS BE HERE - ARRRGGGG:

I really want to know what the doctor whispered in to Rick's ear. His face seemed to drop big time after hearing it.

The almost rape scene was very intense and well done. The acting is amazing. I noticed I had that adrenalin feeling coursing through my body by the end of the scene and I was in a pissy mood for him trying that crap.

I hate that they probably won't bring it back until next October. But they did the same thing with "Breaking Bad," when they ran seven episodes beginning in January '08 and didn't bring the show back until March '09. I just wish DirecTV would air AMC in HD already.

It annoys me when characters whisper to hide important things from the audience. I wonder, though, whether the doctor recognized Rick as "the leader" and told him that one of the group members was actually infected in some way that wasn't immediately serious, if that makes sense. (Maybe Andrea? She seemed to have something weird going on.) There had to be a secondary reason for those blood tests.

So where do they go next? The military base?