[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Walking Dead on AMC

montster

I hate that they probably won't bring it back until next October. But they did the same thing with "Breaking Bad," when they ran seven episodes beginning in January '08 and didn't bring the show back until March '09. I just wish DirecTV would air AMC in HD already.

It annoys me when characters whisper to hide important things from the audience. I wonder, though, whether the doctor recognized Rick as "the leader" and told him that one of the group members was actually infected in some way that wasn't immediately serious, if that makes sense. (Maybe Andrea? She seemed to have something weird going on.) There had to be a secondary reason for those blood tests.

So where do they go next? The military base?

The whispers seem obvious to me. Rick's wife, Sara Tancredi, got knocked up by a zombie.

The whispers seem obvious to me. Rick's wife, Sara Tancredi, got knocked up by a zombie.

Oh great point - Maybe she is pregnant by Shane when he hit that sh*t in the wood in Episode II: Guts. Now that will bring a new level of drama to the show. Shane is a trick and really getting on my nerves. For a while I thought he might have been the son of Fred Ward http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0911542/. He looks so much like him.

Oh great point - Maybe she is pregnant by Shane when he hit that sh*t in the wood in Episode II: Guts. Now that will bring a new level of drama to the show. Shane is a trick and really getting on my nerves. For a while I thought he might have been the son of Fred Ward http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0911542/. He looks so much like him.

:keanu: woooah :keanu:

Seriously, the

pregnancy

thing is so obvious I feel dumb not considering that before.

So why don't the zombies eat each other? Do they address that? Is there some zombie code?
:wacko: seriously? this is your logical problem with the verisimilitude of zombie movies? :tup:

OK, so here's my little detlef logic puzzle. occurred to me last night as I was watching episode 2. the zombie "disease" propagates by infecting living people mostly via bites from zombies, correct? but every time the zombies are able to actually bite something living, that thing ends up completely devoured and thus unable to become a new zombie. the only way the zombies can actually propagate and make new zombies is by getting a bite in, but being thwarted before they really start grubbin. seems like that would rarely happen.

OK, so here's my little detlef logic puzzle. occurred to me last night as I was watching episode 2. the zombie "disease" propagates by infecting living people mostly via bites from zombies, correct? but every time the zombies are able to actually bite something living, that thing ends up completely devoured and thus unable to become a new zombie. the only way the zombies can actually propagate and make new zombies is by getting a bite in, but being thwarted before they really start grubbin. seems like that would rarely happen.

And a few more things.

Do zombies have to eat? What can they eat? How much do they need? If they are 100% carnivores, it seems to me that they'll run out of food pretty quickly, particularly in the city.

We've seem them eat animals, and they might get by on house pets, domesticated animals and zoo animals for awhile. But I'm Usain Bolt compared to them and there ain't no way that I'm going to catch a wild animal with my bare hands.

:wacko:

I'm surprised that the issue has not been raised about how long zombies can go without eating.

And to Az's question, I'm going to guess that there was an initial infectious event of some nature other than bites, which caused the bulk of the population to get infected, and that bites are only a secondary means of transmission.

And a few more things.

Do zombies have to eat? What can they eat? How much do they need? If they are 100% carnivores, it seems to me that they'll run out of food pretty quickly, particularly in the city.

We've seem them eat animals, and they might get by on house pets, domesticated animals and zoo animals for awhile. But I'm Usain Bolt compared to them and there ain't no way that I'm going to catch a wild animal with my bare hands.

:tup:

You're following that "let the zombies just starve to death" thinking that 28 days put forth. I'm thinking that despite what or when they eat, that the decaying process (which we see is not stopped by becoming a zombie) will render most if not all of the zombies immobile within about a month. :tup:

Apparently there is more to it that that, though... :wacko:

You're following that "let the zombies just starve to death" thinking that 28 days put forth. I'm thinking that despite what or when they eat, that the decaying process (which we see is not stopped by becoming a zombie) will render most if not all of the zombies immobile within about a month. :tup:

Apparently there is more to it that that, though... :wacko:

That was what made 28 Days so effective, was that it was grounded in semi-logic. It only took a bite or a drop of moisture to start the 'zombiefication' process that ran it's course within a few minutes, which resulted in the spread that much faster - so you could be swarmed and taken into the pack before you were dead. Although it wasn't an 'undead' situation as cliaz will fly in and point out...

It's a matter of numbers. Basically, a bit or scratch from the zombies will infect you with the virus (to a lesser degree blood splatters that land in your eyes, mouth or an open wound should infect you as well but I haven't seen that yet in this series). These zombies do not need to 'breed' as this is an unnatural occurrence in the world. Sheer numbers handle it.

If you have ever read World War Z, Brooks does an excellent job of explaining everything in a very realistic way. In the book there is one particular battle in which tens of thousands of Zombies and the US military meet in Yonkers for a battle that ends up being the Epiphany moment for humanity when the zombies over run all of the US military's defenses and offensive power. Most of our modern tactics predicate on an emotional response from the enemy or sheer wounds or casualties. Because Zombies feel no pain, can't really think and cannot be affected by nerve gas, tear gas, ect, they quickly overrun the lines and thousands of US troops become infected.

You can be infected for days and spread the virus through the same mechanics and people wouldn't know until they start having the fever.

SPOILER ALERT FOR WORLD WAR Z BOOK:

The one thing I loved about World War Z was how the Russians handled the situation. When one of their cities/borders were threaten but a boat load of refugees that were being chased by zombies (I'm talking thousands of people running from thousands of zombies) they wanted to make sure no living person made it through who might have been infected. They ended up gassing all of the living people with nerve agents. Anyone who stood up afterward was shot in the head.

And a few more things.

:wacko:

When a corpse is reanimated by the virus, it turns on areas in the brain stem associated with basic primal needs. For some reason, the urge to eat is the strongest. There is no written reason as to why they go after living flesh that I can find through all of my books and shows/movies I've watched.

• 4 months later...

So I just started watching this and I have a question. How does shooting someone in the head slow them down if they are already dead? Some of the zombies pull themselves along by their hands, with their entire lower torso missing and their entrails dragging along behind them. That strikes me as a very motivated individual. Yet a bullet to the skull knocks them right out.

Good show btw. I'm on episode 2 and they may have me hooked, and this is most definitely not my usual genre.

So I just started watching this and I have a question. How does shooting someone in the head slow them down if they are already dead? Some of the zombies pull themselves along by their hands, with their entire lower torso missing and their entrails dragging along behind them. That strikes me as a very motivated individual. Yet a bullet to the skull knocks them right out.

Good show btw. I'm on episode 2 and they may have me hooked, and this is most definitely not my usual genre.

Gotta assume the brain is still the motor mechanism commanding the nervous system, so knock out the motor, knock out the whole thing.

Oh, yeah............and what a load of f'n rubbish.

• 2 months later...

I recently watched it on Blu-ray as someone left it at my house for a few months and I never got around to watching....pretty good show overall as I accept it for what it is and I'm not part of the zombie cult...it was still enjoyable...

I hope season 2 rolls around October and that there will be more episodes than 6 this time....same thing happened with the Spartacus: Gods of the Arena pre-quel...6 episodes ::wacko:....great season, but 6 episodes...really?

• 3 months later...
No comments on this? It started kinda bumpy IMO but ended strong in the final half hour, when it dug back into the personal conflicts.

This shouldn't be a spoiler but when did Dale become a know it all Chili Con Queso?

Dale is the resident redneck/KKK/survivalist of the group (and one of my favorite characters).

I thought it was all around well done.

The whole thing with the herd of zombies just roaming around was nice and suspenseful and added a layer to the onion so to speak. I thought the whole girl missing thing was slightly weak but helped to move along the animosities of the group.

Dale is the resident redneck/KKK/survivalist of the group (and one of my favorite characters).

I thought it was all around well done.

The whole thing with the herd of zombies just roaming around was nice and suspenseful and added a layer to the onion so to speak. I thought the whole girl missing thing was slightly weak but helped to move along the animosities of the group.

You're talking Daryl. I'm talking the sanctimonious old guy.

I actually had big problems with some of the internal logic of this show:

how do people die en masse in their vehicles, shouldn't they have become zombies, and what happened to having to have rotting meat covering your living stink? Also, "stay off the roads" wraps up the opening monologue, yet there they are - creeping down the roads. That's just getting started as well.

It's a good show - you just have to be able to enjoy that fact the show is more centered on post-event survival than zombie-related action.

this is what did me in. it became "as the world turns," with some zombies thrown in. I started rooting for the zombies to kill them all mid-way through season one.

I recently watched it on Blu-ray as someone left it at my house for a few months and I never got around to watching....pretty good show overall as I accept it for what it is and I'm not part of the zombie cult...it was still enjoyable...

I hope season 2 rolls around October and that there will be more episodes than 6 this time....same thing happened with the Spartacus: Gods of the Arena pre-quel...6 episodes ::wacko:....great season, but 6 episodes...really?

they can't be cheap or easy to make.

Its a good show. The Wench and I put it on one evening (netflix) and didn't turn in until we finished it. Above and beyond the zombies, there are a lot of areas where you need to suspend disblelief, simple things like human nature, but its pretty exciting, entertaining and tense all the same.

I like the idea of zombie movies, but zombies are such a silly idea that it is hard to pull off. 28 Days later and Shawn of the Dead are the only zombie movie I have seen to date that I feel haven't personally flipped me off. 28 Days later because they asked themselves the simple question of "why?" and Shawn of the Dead because it knew exactly what it was.

Its a good show, but I hope they put a little thought into the "why?" of things. You lose all subtly to drama and suspense the moment cause and effect go out the window.