[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Starting Lineup Controversy

golfishgrace

"It is troubling.

I know that Johnson isn't the stud that he was last year, but he is top 10, he has an excellent matchup, and he has a NFL caliber QB this week.

There isn't an easy answer. You can't alter the lineup or try to talk her into making a change.

I suppose that I would call her, ask her to explain her rationale,"

When he calls her I want to listen in, can we do 3-way calling? I gotta hear this. :wacko:

All she needs to say is she is starting the players she thinks is going to score the most points ( thanks Grits )

"It is troubling.

I know that Johnson isn't the stud that he was last year, but he is top 10, he has an excellent matchup, and he has a NFL caliber QB this week.

There isn't an easy answer. You can't alter the lineup or try to talk her into making a change.

I suppose that I would call her, ask her to explain her rationale,"

When he calls her I want to listen in, can we do 3-way calling? I gotta hear this. :wacko:

Man, you must getting mighty sore, sitting up on your high horse.

Rather than assuming that the wife and husband are just playing to double up their chances, have you ever considered that she maybe got into the league to try to beat her husband and his friends? That maybe in that competition, she did what many of us have done, and sat a struggling stud, thinking that she might need a take a high-upside flier to try to put her chances over the top? That maybe this is her sole motivation for trying to ride the hot hand, so that for years she can remind her husband about the time that his wife knocked him out of the playoffs... She may not be correct in that decision, but it doesn't necessarily mean she had ill-intentions, and could be quite the opposite.

For many women, those bragging rights can be more motivation than just some small some of money. Last year we had my buddy's girlfriend in our league, and you could tell why she came to play with her name, "Beat By a Girl". No drama, other than her team sucking. Her boyfriend refused to help her, even when her team was truly struggling, and I see no evidence that anything different is going on here, besides a questionable lineup decision.

Edited by delusions of granduer

Declaring collusion is difficult and extremely touchy. A good indicator might be to find out how long they've been married.

1-5 years. She will do anything to make him happy....Collusion!

5-10 years. She's only playing FF because it's the only way she could keep his attention and get invited to the bar with him. She's bitter and wants to kick his butt.

10 or more. She really doesn't care if he makes the play-offs or not but she knows if he loses then he will have his week-ends free to clean the garage.

She has a 4-8 record for a reason. She has probably been making bad decisions all year. This is just another one of those bad decisions, that may or may not have been put in her head by her husband. Not a move I would make, but I love it when bad teams do dumb things, because its easy to see why they're bad.

Declaring collusion is difficult and extremely touchy. A good indicator might be to find out how long they've been married.

1-5 years. She will do anything to make him happy....Collusion!

5-10 years. She's only playing FF because it's the only way she could keep his attention and get invited to the bar with him. She's bitter and wants to kick his butt.

10 or more. She really doesn't care if he makes the play-offs or not but she knows if he loses then he will have his week-ends free to clean the garage.

1-11 months. He has controlled her lineup all year and now has planted subtle remarks in her ear that CJ is done (when he knows it was Rusty's fault... and the 7 carries didn't help either). Post-honeymoon suggestive collusion, the worst kind because it can't be proven. No witnesses watching them whisper at the water cooler. Bogus. :wacko:

Dont know if i should add any more gas to this fire but... Here is/ was her responce last night, and yes she is a pretty fiesty woman..

"Bruce" is the commissioner, "Joe" is her husband.

"Bruce wrote me a message that some people are complaining to him that I am not playing Chris Johnson this week. I have my reasons. FIrst of all, I beat Joe this same time last year and plan to beat him again if I can this week. I don't have to explain to anyone why I am playing or not playing someone, but FYI Chris Johnson got 2 points last week and 6 points the week before and probably cost me the game both weeks. I have put in who I have played before THomas Jones KC running back and if you check you can see that he is hot right now. If I were to throw the game I would put in Chris J. THere is no quarterback for at least one more week unless something has changed and would the two cowards who complained look at themselves in the mirror . I am very competive , which most of you know and I very much resent anyone questioning my integrity. COme forward and don't hide behind Bruce"

First off, in this forum, questions about collusion and one's personal opinions on it have CHIT to do with whether or not someone writes for the Huddle. When YOU post here, in THIS forum, YOU are representative of the Huddle as much as one who happens to write (some pretty good stuff BTW) as much as anyone else. Here, we are equals. Get off the high horse? Take your own advice. There are no GODS in this forum. It's for opinions. Some people who don't write for the Huddle but have been around a long while seem to think that THEY are GODS around here. Wrong again.

Now, as far as the topic goes, I can see benching CJ based on the matchups and the recent productivity of the players invloved. The Titans are a team in tumoil. It's a gutsy move to bench a CJ for a Ford, but against a particular roster, if I felt I was overmatched and had to swing for the fences, I can see Ford over CJ especially if ST's TD's count.... SD has terrible ST's. The mess that is the Titans now make CJ an unreliable start.

Collusion? I can see why one might think so, but it's no slam dunk. People who benched CJ last week look like FF geniuses right now. I benched TO against the Jets. He was a top 5 WR. He bit the big one. In some forums I was told that was a stupid move. The Oakland running game is in a stall, like an airplane that climbed too high, and lately it's been all about Ford. Not collusion, but that is my opinion.

I would without doubt go ballistic if a commishioner tried to call it collusion. That commishioner would lose that vote in any league worth a crap. Is it questiuonable? Yes. Is it clear collusion? Absolutely not.

Dont know if i should add any more gas to this fire but... Here is/ was her responce last night, and yes she is a pretty fiesty woman..

"Bruce wrote me a message that some people are complaining to him that I am not playing Chris Johnson this week. I have my reasons. FIrst of all, I beat Joe this same time last year and plan to beat him again if I can this week. I don't have to explain to anyone why I am playing or not playing someone, but FYI Chris Johnson got 2 points last week and 6 points the week before and probably cost me the game both weeks. I have put in who I have played before THomas Jones KC running back and if you check you can see that he is hot right now. If I were to throw the game I would put in Chris J. THere is no quarterback for at least one more week unless something has changed and would the two cowards who complained look at themselves in the mirror . I am very competive , which most of you know and I very much resent anyone questioning my integrity. COme forward and don't hide behind Bruce"

Nice! I think I am in love.......

I think the point is, if ever there were a situation where casual collusion might creep in, this is it. a team with nothing to play for in the last week of the season going up against a team in the same household with playoffs on the line. and then that person sits CJ for jacoby ford. I'm sorry but that stinks to high heaven, and anyone in that situation with three brain cells and any concern for the integrity of the league would realize it and go the more conventional route, even if they genuinely had a strong hunch ford would outperform CJ.

I don't think anyone can do anything about it, but next year either they would be gone from the league or I would.

"Bruce wrote me a message that some people are complaining to him that I am not playing Chris Johnson this week. I have my reasons. FIrst of all, I beat Joe this same time last year and plan to beat him again if I can this week. I don't have to explain to anyone why I am playing or not playing someone, but FYI Chris Johnson got 2 points last week and 6 points the week before and probably cost me the game both weeks. I have put in who I have played before THomas Jones KC running back and if you check you can see that he is hot right now. If I were to throw the game I would put in Chris J. THere is no quarterback for at least one more week unless something has changed and would the two cowards who complained look at themselves in the mirror . I am very competive , which most of you know and I very much resent anyone questioning my integrity. Come forward and don't hide behind Bruce"

Good for her. According to one person here, though, that was all lies because she is married to her opponent. Personally, I believe her. But then again I have nothing against married people playing FF.

1-11 months. He has controlled her lineup all year and now has planted subtle remarks in her ear that CJ is done (when he knows it was Rusty's fault... and the 7 carries didn't help either). Post-honeymoon suggestive collusion, the worst kind because it can't be proven. No witnesses watching them whisper at the water cooler. Bogus. :tup:

:wacko: It must be nice to know what's going through the minds of total strangers. Perhaps you should channel that ability to what Huddlers reading your musings are thinking...

If he's controlled her lineup all year, then he's not doing a very good job of it, when she's sitting at 4-8...

But yes, we HAVE to assume that her husband is such a pro that he KNOWS it was all Rusty's fault, and KNOWS CJ will bounce back this week. He MUST have at least suggested something to his wife for her to make such a bone-headed move that you as an "expert" are CERTAIN is the wrong one. There is NO POSSIBLE WAY that a casual fantasy player could have made this move based on her statement that "CJ has lost me 2 wins recently", while Ford probably went off on her bench.

I wish we could all be so perfect like you. Perhaps you should try a league of 12 of your own teams, so you won't ever have to deal with roster decisions that you are 100% CERTAIN are the wrong ones.

Im in a league with Tbone65 and Nuk'em ttg and this sort of questions comes up all the time regarding them. Just because 2 teams enjoy seeing each other naked it doesnt mean they are cheating

thinking that she might need a take a high-upside flier to try to put her chances over the top? That maybe this is her sole motivation for trying to ride the hot hand,

Well, Ford's hand is kinda hot. 2 big games sandwiching a dud. But he doesn't have a track record. I'll buy it, I suppose

Tomlinson and Jones aren't hot hands. Tomlinson is likely only a couple of notches below Johnson in the RB rankings. Although he's been putting up good numbers consistently, he doesn't have "high upside." I really don't have a problem with starting him.

The real problem IMO is Jones. He may be a top 25 back in your league, but not much higher. He's not had a single game in which he has scored more than 20 points. He's scored in single digits 3 of his last 5 games, including two 3 point clunkers. He has a good matchup, but so does Johnson. But Jones is splitting carries with a superior back, his points depend on TDs and no one can legitimately say that he is a high upside flyer. The chances are much better for Johnson to "blow-up" then Jones.

There may be something there. But maybe not. I think that the totality of the circumstances raises a suspicion.

Wow. Can we get her here? I'd love to see her response in this thread. Suck on that!

I miss Xpanda... :wacko:

Right on :wacko::tup::tup:

People wanted an explanation and she has provided one. Maybe most of the Huddlers here have all come to know who is the better start this weekend since we all bounce ideas off each other and we can all finish each other sentences by now.

Don't expect that every person playing FF is going to submit a lineup the same way you are. Also don't expect that your opinion is the perfect solution as it may not be.

...but FYI Chris Johnson got 2 points last week and 6 points the week before and probably cost me the game both weeks. I have put in who I have played before THomas Jones KC running back and if you check you can see that he is hot right now. If I were to throw the game I would put in Chris J. THere is no quarterback for at least one more week unless something has changed...

methinks the lady doth protest too much. we all know CJ had a clunker last week. the week before he had 130 yards rushing. TJ had one good game two weeks ago with a couple scores against arizona. last week he was pedestrian at best with like 80 total yards and no scores, the two weeks before arizona he was non-existent. how is that "hot"? and as far as I know, collins is slated to start at QB this week.

for the record, this topic is not about Scooby/SH :wacko: I would start CJ if I were her, I'm a little old school ASYS's philosophy. Plus CJ is so competitive he would like nothing more than to turn up the heat this week so that everyone will forget about the 5 yds last week. In the leagues I compete against the Hubby, we are barred from trading with one another, also they put us in different divisions, which is great. Been playing FF for 9 yrs now, it is a great hobby and not just for the gents. If I were in her situation, I would love nothing more than to knock the Hubby outta the playoffs...I'm mean like that lol!!

I think the point is, if ever there were a situation where casual collusion might creep in, this is it. a team with nothing to play for in the last week of the season going up against a team in the same household with playoffs on the line. and then that person sits CJ for jacoby ford. I'm sorry but that stinks to high heaven, and anyone in that situation with three brain cells and any concern for the integrity of the league would realize it and go the more conventional route, even if they genuinely had a strong hunch ford would outperform CJ.

I don't think anyone can do anything about it, but next year either they would be gone from the league or I would.

:wacko:

Yes, it's such a clear-cut case of collusion that we've spent three pages debating whether it's a clear-cut case of collusion. She's such an evil genius that, in an effort to throw a game so that her husband can win and make the playoffs, she's starting players that actually may still get her a win, instead of benching, say, Tamme for McMichael. She can't even cheat correctly! No wonder her team is terrible!

If you take CJ with the first pick you ride it out for the season. He could explode any game. This doesn't really have to do with the queston, but I would never be in a league with a woman or women. First they took over the Elks lodge and now they want in on Fantasy football too.

Its the end of the world as we know it. :wacko:

When Tenn played Jax earlier CJ had a good game only because Fisher kept him in in the last possession and he had a break away TD. Fisher was critcized for keeping CJ in and there was that whole TV dispute. If CJ had not been in at the end he would have had a pedestrian game. If she is 4-8 with CJ he clearly wasn't enough to carry her team. Also people on the boards were wondering why CJ only had 7 carries last week when Rusty and the passing game was so ineffective. Fisher's play calling should also be a factor as to whether or not to play CJ.