[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Starting Lineup Controversy

golfishgrace

My point exactly, if this couple has been married for over a year I would say the husband was in a lose lose either way. If he wins he loses because she is out and that isn't good. And by the looks of things she pulled out all stops to win......

As I said before, the only husband vs. wife senario that would worry me is newly weds who are in that first few months of "I wanna do what ever makes you happy honey". After a year, all bets are off

Now, I would also venture to say I would worry if the shoe was on the other foot. Can you imagine if the Wife was able to get into the playoff with a win and the Husband was the one who could knock her out.

I would be far more worried about collusion in that senario then the other way around. In fact, it may be wise for him to bench a stud or two if he wants to get laid for the rest of the season.

My point exactly, if this couple has been married for over a year I would say the husband was in a lose lose either way. If he wins he loses because she is out and that isn't good. And by the looks of things she pulled out all stops to win......

As I said before, the only husband vs. wife senario that would worry me is newly weds who are in that first few months of "I wanna do what ever makes you happy honey". After a year, all bets are off

Exactly, my wife freaking hates to lose to me at anything. In fact, there's basically two things we still play against each other at. Tennis and Boggle, because she's better than me at both. (She used to play D-1 tennis in college, I've never played competitively). Anything else? If I keep beating her at it, we just stop playing.

If, in the odd chance, my wife joined a FF league and had the chance to beat me? Are you freaking kidding me? It would make her year. After all the years of putting up with my abject geekdom and running to the computer every 5 minutes on Sunday? My god, I'd never hear the freaking end of it.

And I'll add, if she had a chance at ending the FF computer dance 2 weeks early by keeping me out of the playoffs? There's that as well.

Edited by detlef

Ok I took the time to read this whole post, so here's my 2 cents.

First off, for those of you married. Let me ask you a questions? Would YOUR wife LET you win if she had the chance to beat you? Uhhm donno about your relationships but many times and I will go so far as to say most times Husband vs. Wife are some of the most competitive situations out there. In fact, I will go on to say this wife pulled out all stops to beat here husband. She said to CJ, your not going to continue to dog my team with underperformance and benched his arse. Basically saying I can get your production of late with LT or TJ, hell even Ford's been coming on. Good for her.

She assest the situation in Tenn, weak QB who's hurt, defenses will load up on the run, coupled with CJ putting up duds.

I applaud her for her decision making. You go Girl........... :wacko:

Many of you all have never been married because if you think for one minute that there are many wives that are football fans out their married to their football fan husbands, playing FF would even consider laying down one week so that their husbands could make the playoffs while she is already out.....................you are all in for a rude awaking when you get married.

The football wives I know that play FF woudl do something like this. On the eve of the game, would beg her husband to take her out, get him diaper dirtfaced drunk, then screw the living daylights out of him all night, just so he forgets to put in his lineup on Sunday morning. And if that didn't work, start a fight about something that happend 10 years ago, then go out with the girls so he is sure not to enjoy his victory.

Bottom line is this, Husband vs. Wife is about as competitive as you can be and if you think for one minuite that she would want to let her husband in the playoffs without her your crazy.

Now newly weds are a different story. That lovey dovey first few months would be cause for alarm, but after the first year, forget it. It's on...........

:tup:

My wife is more competitive than me and that says a lot! She played FF for 1 year with her work colleagues and I nearly strangled her because she would try to commandeer my Sunday Ticket to watch her players. Flipping through the games, she'd say..."Oh, go back to that one my kicker is playing...or go back to that one, blah, blah, blah..." Totally ruined my enjoyment of the Ticket. Thank God she got a new job where they don't play FF!!!

Exactly, my wife freaking hates to lose to me at anything...

If, in the odd chance, my wife joined a FF league and had the chance to beat me? Are you freaking kidding me? It would make her year. After all the years of putting up with my abject geekdom and running to the computer every 5 minutes on Sunday? My god, I'd never hear the freaking end of it.

Exactly!

I would be far more worried about collusion in that senario then the other way around. In fact, it may be wise for him to bench a stud or two if he wants to get laid for the rest of the season.

Actually I see it differently. We I had shown even the slightest inkling of throwing a game to her I would have been dead meat. Didn't matter what was played... even Tiddly-Winks. You played to win or else. :wacko: We probably ended up even in the win/loss col.

LOL, I've been reading every one, hour by hour.

I still think they colluded. The statistical outcome doesn't or couldn't change my opinion. :wacko:

Looks like it's time to bend over and say "Thank you sir, may I have another!" while Sky paddles your ass. :tup:

Edited by MikesVikes

It's just JUM being JUM.

B#llsh!it excuss.

Talk about over reaction. Were some points of what JUM silly, even stupid? Sure... but to say a man has lost all credibilty and has no honor is an over reaction in the extreme. I would not play in a league he was commissioner of either. In this regard I'd say he's a little whacky at worst. To say a man has no honor... is there a worse insult?

I have rarely ever accused anyone of having no honor in my life time. That is for people who truely deserve it. This doesn't even come close to that category. Unbeleivable. The people going after JUM are starting to look just as silly... and stupid. Rational perspective has gone out the window. Any suicide bombers out there trying to find out where JUM lives, or what?

but to say a woman is a cheater is ok? That wasn't an overreaction? And look at all the people quick to say this woman has no honor. I said it earlier and I'll repeat it again, there really seems to be some underlying sexism here. I don't jump to conclussions, unlike some here, but as the posts below have provided, I have enough info to spot a dirtbag when I "read" one.

LOL, I've been reading every one, hour by hour.

I still think they colluded. The statistical outcome doesn't or couldn't change my opinion. :wacko:

yeah, well you're a moron! Maybe football smarts but zero societal or people skills. Anyone know a good life coach? Maybe you need a sitdown with Dr Phil.

This. Especially if hubby gets in playoffs and has chance to win $$$. Opinions will vary (wildly, it turns out).

So money makes people evil then I guess. Competition and gamesmenship have no place in FF, it's all about the all-mighty dollar. That's the old American spirit.

I simply can't believe that somebody is being accused of collusion because they decided to sit CJ based on sound reasoning because their opponent that week was their spouse.

I could very well have seen myself sitting CJ ... and as I mentioned earlier in this thread I have sat Michael Turner on several occasions this year and I have sat Larry Fitzgerald on several occasions this year. Those are my first two draft picks ... so if I can sit those players based on factors I deem relevant why can't CJ be benched for factors determined to be relevant by the CJ owner?

People should worry about managing their own teams, lineups, and trades and get out of the business of worrying about and trying to manage other people's teams, lineups and trades. That just doesn't seem like a hard concept to grasp.

There are at least two people in the thread who stated JUM has no honor. If you aren't one of them, then I wasn't speaking to you. I have repeatedly stated that I though JUM was totally wrong. I just take exception to any totalitarian condemnation of the man in the manner it was done by a couple of posters. You were not one of those posters.

Simple enough?

It isn't the first time, and won't be the last time that I render a controversial opinion. I once spent 6 days on the Purple Pride message boards in 1999 defending Jeff George to angry Vikings fans. (George later took them to a 8-2 finish in '99 and saved Denny Green's job)....Anyway this is a Saturday picnic compared to that melee. :wacko::tup:

I spend all day Monday researching and writing Under The Numbers for Tuesday morning, including posting a ton of the daily News bits you read onsite. No way was I gonna miss this, though.

I'm puzzled at the vitriol, but then again -this time of year there's always lots of testy, irritated FF'ers on message boards- including me, I had to sit at LP Field and watch Chris Johnson screw me -- live, in person. :wacko::tup:

You're puzzled that after calling into question somebody's... actually, all married couples that play FF together's integrity and intentions simply after reading a message board post that someone else would call into question yours? :tup: My wife absolutely hates football and even I take offense to that. And to be honest, if you were that distrusting of others it only would make me distrusting of you.

Now, on topic, FWIW I have had a bad feeling about starting CJ the past couple of weeks as well but I have little other option. In retrospect, Tashard Choice, who I picked up this week, would have been a better play and Keiland Williams last week. I can't say I blame her one bit with the way the Titans have been playing and the inconsistency from CJ this year. Every one of the major losses I've had in my league this year were weeks when he flat out sucked (weeks 2, 4 & 12). To me it stands to reason that starting last week teams would be stacking 8 or 9 guys on the line because they know CJ is all Tennessee has. I don't really find it that much of a stretch to decide to sit him.

Edited by rajncajn

Its funny how husband and wife rivalries come up a lot more than you think. Just last night I was giving my wife a good rodgering and 15 seconds in I was like "I win " !!

My wife loves football and when I started playing FF she could not understand what I saw in it. I begged her to join our league though so that it could be something we'd share as a couple. She has become a pretty wise player and has fielded winning teams 3 times in a row now. The times we do play each other are some of the most competitive and fun times I've had on Thur/Sun/Mon. She has taken much delight in winning against me and vice versa. I can't ever imagine a time where we'd throw a game for the other. It just wouldn't happen.

It isn't the first time, and won't be the last time that I render a controversial opinion. I once spent 6 days on the Purple Pride message boards in 1999 defending Jeff George to angry Vikings fans. (George later took them to a 8-2 finish in '99 and saved Denny Green's job)....Anyway this is a Saturday picnic compared to that melee. :wacko::tup:

Wow, Jeff George & Denny Green... you really called that one. :tup:

In retrospect, Tashard Choice, who I picked up this week, would have been a better play.

Funny you mention Choice. I wanted to start him this week over Ray Rice in a ppr. I did'nt because I always have to start my studs.... it would be a stupid move, it's Ray Rice for crying out loud..etc

Rice 6

Choice 16

I seriously think that next season I will try to avoid all start/bench lists and player projections and just use my gut. I love DMD and think he does a great job with his projections, I really do. I just think that people like me who have been playing for a long time get caught up in guys' names and the whole ASYS deal and it's hurts our chances of putting the best group in our starting lineups.

Hey Rovers! Still think this loser has any honor? The Huddle Staff has be totally embarrassed by this guys lack of character let along any kind of credibility.

Someone please tell me he won't be back in 2011. Please!

I for one am loathe when it degrades into personal comments of the negative kind. I thought he was way off base on this and said so. I even said some of his comments were stupid. Note, I said his comments were stupid, a far cry from saying he was stupid or has no credibility or honor. I think his articles ind insights are most definitely worthy of a read, but I don't always agree with him, and I don't agree with him in this thread.

I always prefer to debate/argue on the points made, while trying my best to not get into personal attacks although I sometimes break my own rules, and usually regret doing so. While I don't agree with you here, I never strayed from the topic into the personal derogatory catergory of remarks... it never ends well. Like I said, saying a man has no honor can hardly be arrived at with confidence based on one topic in one thread in a FF forum.

I have seen collusion between a father and son in my old local, and they tried to drag me in too. I eventually left the league, and have no local, which I miss quite a bit. So, I've seen relations embrace collusion before, and perhaps that makes one more wary of seeing it happen again or at least to be leary of it.

I think JUM has been a good addition to the Huddle, and one thread does not completely over shadow those contributions. He has been much more active in this forum than almost any other staffer, and this forum sure did need some juice.

So in short, I will NOT (edit)purport to sit as judge and jury of a man's chracter, credibility or honor based on one exchange where I think a man is totally wrong and needs a recalibration. I can say this... if you had said those things about me, I'd likely be on a Huddle vacation. I just don't think total condemnation of an individual as you have done here is justified. Not even close. I guess we agree to disagree.

Edited by Rovers
  • Like 1

It isn't the first time, and won't be the last time that I render a controversial opinion. I once spent 6 days on the Purple Pride message boards in 1999 defending Jeff George to angry Vikings fans. (George later took them to a 8-2 finish in '99 and saved Denny Green's job)....Anyway this is a Saturday picnic compared to that melee. :tup::tup:

:wacko: Gee, it must be tough being you. The great ones are never appreciated during their life. It's a cross you'll have to bear.

OK, after all that, I can summarize this in one line:

DON'T PLAY FANTASY FOOTBALL WITH YOUR WIFE. :tup:

Exactly, married couples should not do things together they enjoy, brilliant! As Dennis Leary said the key to a good marriage is not bumping into each other alot.

And to all you unsuspecting single fools out there, if you are ever in a situation where married people are around watch out, we all conspire to get you one way or another. :wacko:

Edited by Qball86

I can say this... if you had said those things about me, I'd likely be on a Huddle vacation. I just don't think total condemnation of an individual as you have done here is justified. Not even close.

I guess we agree to disagree.

Good enough.

As an aside... why would I ever say something like that to you? You haven't come out with bald face statements like the one under discussion. Don't put yourself in the same class as jum. You are a much better individual that he ever will be.

Exactly, my wife freaking hates to lose to me at anything. In fact, there's basically two things we still play against each other at. Tennis and Boggle, because she's better than me at both. (She used to play D-1 tennis in college, I've never played competitively). Anything else? If I keep beating her at it, we just stop playing.

And I'll add, if she had a chance at ending the FF computer dance 2 weeks early by keeping me out of the playoffs? There's that as well.

:tup: My wife refuses to even play me anymore b/c she friggin' HATES losing to me. I cannot imagine her letting me win, especially in FF! :wacko: