[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Santa bringing some home brewing equipment

Puddy

Mrs. Puddy is finally caving to my request for brewing equipment, I think. There's a place in our area that I hear good things about. Here's a link to their site and their various kits.

Adventures in Homebrewing

Should she get one of the kits or go a la carte? Is the jump in price from the basic kit to one of the upgrade kits worth it?

Thanks for the help.

Hmmm I have everything in kit #7 and a bit more, hand me downs from working with Redhook, ala carte from home brew stores and even hardware stores. Kits are all good, but I would first buy Palmers book and talk with a local brewer/store owner for help. I myself love to bottle my beer as it definately gives you experience in different parameters. Though kegging is aweome down the line. There are also local Home Brew clubs that usually meet on weekends at different breweries. We sponsered such a club at Redhook. These or a friend like say Rover or myself in your area that has been homebrewing for awhile should be glad to show you the ropes. Have fun and experiment, any brewer worth their weight have thrown out a few batches. And always remember STERILE! STERILE! STERILE!.

Will add more later.

there's a home brew store around the corner from work. I don't homebrew but a coworker does. I went with him this week and they offer classes for like $15 for two hours. In the 20 minutes we were there, dude gave my coworker 4 tips. I couldn't recite but coworker comes in next day, said the tip shaved hours off of his process. I'd see about a class too before delving too deep

Mrs. Puddy is finally caving to my request for brewing equipment, I think. There's a place in our area that I hear good things about. Here's a link to their site and their various kits.

Adventures in Homebrewing

Should she get one of the kits or go a la carte? Is the jump in price from the basic kit to one of the upgrade kits worth it?

Thanks for the help.

I think a kit is a decent place to start. I would definitely get one with the following:

Plastic bottling bucket, tubing and a bottling wand will make your life a lot easier

GLASS 6 gallon carboy

6-9 Gallon Brew Kettle

Big stirring spoon

B-brite or another no-rinse cleaner

As was mentioned, sanitation will make for good beer. You will most likely do a partial mash, where you add a bag of grain to the pot while you bring it to a boil. DO NOT BOIL YOUR GRAIN!!!!! It will make your beer taste like crap.

Most importantly, have fun! Also, when you add the malt extract, keep a very close eye on the pot as it will tend to boil over.

From the link you had, I would go with upgrade #2. I've never used the better-brew bottles, but some of the guys in our club here do and say they are fine. Plastic bottles can sometimes absorb flavors from your beer and impart it on the next batch. I would also ask them to see if you can get a 6 gallon bottle instead of a 5 gallon. This will allow room for the krausen to rise and fall without having to use a blow-off tube.

i've done about 5 batches of brew and have a hard cider bottled now, so i'm pretty new to brewing. but it's fun. i've already added some equipment but i only bottle, not keg for right now. you really only need a couple of buckets or better bottles to get going, but you'll add more as well because it's easy and you can do multiple batches as one time.

a kit will get you off to the right start. the only way you'll find out what your preferences are in equipment, tubing, locks, etc. is to jump in and get going. make sure you get some sterilization solution, powder, or whatever right from the get go and start saving any non-twist bottles as soon as you can. i have purchased about 4 cases worth of grolsch style bottles as they hold more and it's less effort to bottle, but i still like standard bottles to pass along to the family and stuff like that.

grab a ticket to state college and we'll do a batch.

i'll be happy to answer any questions, but i know there are guys here with a lot more experience than me.

happy brewing puddy.

on second thought, as I am brewing today (imperial red), here is what you need to brew extract beers:

5 gallon brew kettle (I bought mine at bed bath and beyond with the 20% off coupon)

large spoon

funnel with screen inserts (but at least two screens)

6 gallon glass fermenter

fermenter handle or strap for carrying/moving

rubber stopper

about 4 feet of 5/16" clear hose

racking tube

fermentation lock

bottling bucket

valve for bucket

bottling wand

capper and caps

2 1/2 cases of empty bottles

no-rinse cleaner

fermenter and hose cleaning brushes

if you have a sink that you can screw an attachment to, a sink sprayer is awesome for cleaning bottles and fermenters.

that set of equipment should last you 10-15+ years until you switch to all-grain.

some tips:

have a cool/dark place for the fermenter. I keep mine at the back of the pantry.

get to know a bar owner or bartender. Bars get thicker glass bottles than you get when you buy beer. there is nothing worse than breaking a bottle full of beer. Bud and Bud Light were my favorite bottles before i started kegging, they have thick tops.

I have a 7.2 gallon conical fermenter I could sell you, similar to this:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/7-ga...d-fittings.html

In fact mine is also a Blichman unit, so no worries if you ever need parts. Mine is almost exactly like this one.

You would not beleive how much easier having a fermentor like this makes things. You don't need a bottling wand for one... and bottling with a wand is a pita. You just use the valve on the fermenter instead. That will cut down your bottling time by at least 60%, probably more, and you won't spill anywhere near as much beer. You also don't have to worry about dropping a glass carboy, and that is a common accident. When the glass is wet with non rinse cleaning solution, it's as slippery as a greased pig. Stainlss steel will not carry over flavors. Plastic gets scratched, and that is where bacterial infections will start. Get an infection and the entire batch is no good. Glass carboys are far more difficult to clean than a SS conical.

All of these kits offer aluminum CO2 tanks, but be careful, welding supply stores (best for getting CO2 tanks refilled) ften won't accept aluminum tanks, they want Iron. Also, the kegs they offer are refurbished soda tanks, called cornys (Cornelius tank) and you can get them very cheaply on Ebay. So, check with a local welding supple store first, they might even offer you a better tank for less %.

The big problem with 5 gallon corny kegs is the height. Do you have a fridge you can chill them in? I also have some some 2.5 gallon cornys I could part with. They are small enough to keep in a fridge if you take one shelve out and do some rearranging. If you bottle.... be PRECISE with the priming sugar measurements... or bottles can explode.

So, I think ala carte is a better way to go. If you are interested in the SS fermentor, PM me. Figure around 400 with shipping. It's in perfect condition. I graduated to a 15 gallon unit, and I have 2 of the 7 gallon ones. I can still do 20 gallon batches with a 15 and a 7.

Northern brewer is my preferred on line supply store. They will help you put a kit together over the phone if you go ala carte.

Lastly... Palmer's book is a MUST. Here is a link to an abreviated version of Palmer's book:

http://www.howtobrew.com/

Edited by Rovers

NICE!! I looked at getting Blichman stuff when I went all-grain, holy expensive! It would be awesome though. I am very jealous.

I have at least 5 grand tied up in brewing equipment. You should see the freakin blow off on the 15 gallon unit. It has actually clogged a one inch blow off tube a couple of times. Freakin violent fermentation! All 3 of my conicals are SS units from Blichman. The bottom valve dumps yeast, great for saving yeast for another batch. The problem with the big unit is my yeast starter is nearly a batch on it's own, like 3/4 of a gallon of starter. I use extract on the stove to get the starter going.

If Puddy is not interested, maybe you are interested in one of he 7.2 gallon conicals? I really don't need 2 seven gallon units... maybe I could knock another 50 bucks off. Biggest issue for me is how to package it for shipping.

I have a 25 gallon brew pot, a converted olive oil pot from Italy. I haven't brewed in a couple of years for several reasons which I won't get into, but hope to get my system back up and running next year. 20 gallon all grain batches, but I need new mash tuns and a lot of high temp hosing.

I have at least 5 grand tied up in brewing equipment. You should see the freakin blow off on the 15 gallon unit. It has actually clogged a one inch blow off tube a couple of times. Freakin violent fermentation! All 3 of my conicals are SS units from Blichman. The bottom valve dumps yeast, great for saving yeast for another batch. The problem with the big unit is my yeast starter is nearly a batch on it's own, like 3/4 of a gallon of starter. I use extract on the stove to get the starter going.

If Puddy is not interested, maybe you are interested in one of he 7.2 gallon conicals? I really don't need 2 seven gallon units... maybe I could knock another 50 bucks off. Biggest issue for me is how to package it for shipping.

I have a 25 gallon brew pot, a converted olive oil pot from Italy. I haven't brewed in a couple of years for several reasons which I won't get into, but hope to get my system back up and running next year. 20 gallon all grain batches, but I need new mash tuns and a lot of high temp hosing.

if he's not, i might be. meet you halfway and grab a brew. i'd rather spend 100 bucks on a tank of gas and a couple of beers than shipping.

i'm hoping to get a batch of mead going over the next month or so. i'll be popping one of my ciders tomorrow for the bears game. not sure it's quite ready from bottling, but i waiting a long time for that stuff to settle out in the fermenter.

pudster, glad you are on board man.

i second, third, and fourth the recommendations on palmer's book. papazian's was previously the bible and a fun read, but palmer's is more current, probably up to speed a bit more, and pretty straight-forward.

if he's not, i might be. meet you halfway and grab a brew. i'd rather spend 100 bucks on a tank of gas and a couple of beers than shipping.

i'm hoping to get a batch of mead going over the next month or so. i'll be popping one of my ciders tomorrow for the bears game. not sure it's quite ready from bottling, but i waiting a long time for that stuff to settle out in the fermenter.

pudster, glad you are on board man.

i second, third, and fourth the recommendations on palmer's book. papazian's was previously the bible and a fun read, but palmer's is more current, probably up to speed a bit more, and pretty straight-forward.

How far are you from NYC? I think shipping would still be cheaper, but... I'm game.

Papazian still thinks it's OK to add sugar to the fermenter... that will result in some pretty nasty beer. Palmer... I have spoken to him personally and have exchanged emails as well. He will answer emails... guy is amazing. His book is a bible for home brewing.

I'll add my 2 cents. SO far the advice has been spot on. The one thing I will say is that a big stew sized kettle would be the most preferred method of cooking. I cannot stress this enough. The first time you boil over and spend hours cleaning up the stove you will curse the day you did not buy a big vat to cook in. The other advantage is that when you finally come to you senses and realize that repurposing your turkey fryer to cook your wort you will already have a vessel large enough to safely work on said contraption.

This also allows for a full wort boil something that you will find to be important as life goes on.

I'll add my 2 cents. SO far the advice has been spot on. The one thing I will say is that a big stew sized kettle would be the most preferred method of cooking. I cannot stress this enough. The first time you boil over and spend hours cleaning up the stove you will curse the day you did not buy a big vat to cook in. The other advantage is that when you finally come to you senses and realize that repurposing your turkey fryer to cook your wort you will already have a vessel large enough to safely work on said contraption.

This also allows for a full wort boil something that you will find to be important as life goes on.

Very sound advice. DO NOT boil wort on your stove, get a fryer, do it in the garage or drive way. You will literally spend HOURS trying to clean your stove top after a boil over. I mean HOURS. At the VERY least, cover the entire stove top with aluminum foil. that helps. And you WILL have a boil over. The stuff is like burnt on tar... scouring pads and elbow grease is the only way to get it off. Yer wife will have a fit.

In addition, full boils are much better than partial boils (see Palmer's book) and I doubt your stove will have the BTU's you need to boil 6.5 gallons of wort. That is about what you start with, 6.5 gallons for a 5 gallon batch. So, you want a 7 gallon brew pot minimum. The turkey frier kits do a good job, get them at HD, Lowes, Walmart etc.

Brewed 2 different 10 gallon batches with my neighbor down the street today. 10 gallons of Double Alt and 10 gallons of an authentic pilsner.

Good times good times.....his setup puts mine to shame, and I don't necessarily have next to nothing. Drinking home brew while brewing...booyahh.

Dude is a Jersey transplant. He looks Whopmerish.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I knew there were several here who know their stuff. I'm not sure she bought the equipment. I actually hope she didn't as I want to upgrade a few things from their standard kits based on the posts here. I know she got me the Palmer book and another called Radical Home Brewing or something like that.

Rovers - I'll probably be interested in picking up that 7 gallon thing a ma jig if Rhip didn't take it. Just trying to get my barings before jumping in full scale.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I knew there were several here who know their stuff. I'm not sure she bought the equipment. I actually hope she didn't as I want to upgrade a few things from their standard kits based on the posts here. I know she got me the Palmer book and another called Radical Home Brewing or something like that.

Rovers - I'll probably be interested in picking up that 7 gallon thing a ma jig if Rhip didn't take it. Just trying to get my barings before jumping in full scale.

Thanks again.

I offered it to you first, so I think that means you get first dibs. Figure 350 plus what it might cost to ship via UPS ground. It won't be more than 400 anyways. Using this conical, you also save about another 40 to 50 bucks in stuff you won't need, like a bottling wand and of course, a glass carboy. One thing about a glass carboy is you get to watch the fermentation. With a SS conical, you only get to look at the bubbler on top. DO NOT remove the lid for a look see.

Honestly, if she bought the Palmer book, read it before buying anything. Ask her to give that to you NOW. That will save you $ up front in not buying stuff you won't use.

When i started brewing, I was hoping for beer as good as Sam Adams. After a couple of batches, my beer was always BETTER than that. If you just go by ingredients, forgetting the initial outlay of $, it's also MUCH cheaper than buying micro brews.

I forgot to mention... something called a "secondary". this is when the initial fermentation is done, and there is a lot of dead yeast at the bottom of the fermenter (carboy). It cakes up on the bottom. The still viable yeast remains in suspension. Beer sitting on dead yeast can develop off flavors, so many home brerwers will "rack" the beer from the first carboy into a second one to get it off the dead yeast and let it finish fermenting.

With this conical unit... here , now this is awsome... you just open the bottom valve and dump the dead yeast. No need for a "secondary" carboy. Believe me, this is a freakin great thing about the conical fermenter. Just be sure to take the bubbler off the top first, but I will write up some directions for you, like how to make a gravity reading without opneing the top and risking infection. AFTER you read the bible, Palmer's book.

Even the biggest breweries use conicals, this 7.2 gallon unit is just a miniature of what they use.

And... don't attmept to do any lagers. You want your first 5 to 10 batches to be ales. Lagers are far more involved and far more difficult. Again, it's all in Palmer's book. You could do a steam beer, like Anchor Steam... it depends on what temps you will have the fermenter in. Each yeast needs it's own window of temperatures to work properly. I kept my gferemneters in my basement, and even used heaters and an air conditioner to control fermentation temps. Getting ahead of myself... just know what room temp the fermenter will be in and select a kit with a yeast that will work there.

Crap... I could go on, but it's all in Palmer's book. And it's a fast read. It;s easy to make great homebrew with just a very basic knowledge. I got well beyond that, and enjoyed the science, chemistry and biology behind it all, but that is not at all necessary. You can keep it simple, or go all in and buy 50 pound bags of barely, design your own recipes, etc, but for you right now, it's about using extract kits. It's easy.

Guys.... I have a cash flow issue, and I want to sell both 7 gallon SS conical fermenters now. I'll keep the 12.5 conical so I can still do 10 gallon batches. Almost identical to this:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/7-ga...d-fittings.html

Call it $330 plus shipping for each, rhippens, we could meet in the middle.

I also have a 10 gallon SS brew pot I would like to sell. Cost 270 new, mint, would like to get 150 for it. It was used primarilly for mash sparge water... which means I only had hot water in it. I used it as a brew kettle maybe 3 times. This is the brew pot, with temperature gauge and ball valve spigot:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/pola...ball-valve.html

I also have some mint condition korny kegs. http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/kegg...gallon-keg.html

I have some 3 gallon korny's as well. These are nice because if you take a shelf out of the fridge, or replace a full shelf with a half shelf, it fits in your kitchen fridge.

I kinda need to know within a few weeks, or I'll probably put this stuff on Craigslist. I can also throw in some cleaning chemicals like PBW and stuff. PM me if you want to persue this, then we can talk on the phone.