[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cliff Lee a PHILLY again!

keggerz

I dont buy into the buying a Championship. Players want the right to move around and take the best deal they can get. So teams offer what it will take to get players. Are the Phils the favorites to win the WS, who knows. They were pretty good the last 3 years without this much excess in quality starting pitching. But the Rays were suppose to be the arms in the AL, and they didnt make it past the Rangers in the opening round. If Philly doesnt hit, it doesnt matter how good all that starting pitching is. Look at Texas in the WS. They didnt hit and the Giants got timely hits, and they won the whole thing. Texas had 3 very capable pitchers in the series to shut it down and most of the experts thought they would win in 6, and they didnt, because they couldnt hit. If Im the Phils, i unload Oswalt for a big bat, as he wont be used in the post season most likely, and Blanton isnt a bad 4th option if needed. I also think better money would be for Philly to sign Adrian beltre. the dude looks back in a big way, now that he is out of Seattle and that pitchers park.

As for my Rangers, I hope we sign Beltre, shift Young to 1st base, and resign Vlad at a reasonable rate, even give him 2 yrs, something like 2 yrs 10 mil total. Shift Neftali Feliz to the rotatation like CJ did last yr, Feliz was always a starter in the minors. Then I spend money on the Tampa Closer to shut it down. Will this be better than having Cliff Lee. probably not. But the lineup adds another bat, and IMO a better closer, with Soriano, and if Neftali is anything close to CJ, we wont be far behind where we were last yr. Texas had the West before they got Lee, and this team is built for the future. It would be nice having Lee in the front of our rotation no doubt, but AS great at Cliff Lee was the past few years, he simply wasnt that great at home here in Texas. And they do play half their games at home. Use the farm system if another opportunity like Lee presents itself. No way part ways with Scheppers and Perez for Greinke or Garza, that is just too much. Perez alone maybe better than Garza in a year.

Long story short, Philly got a helluva pitcher, they are a bigger market with more revenue and they can afford him. Texas was way out of its comfort zone with the offer it had for Lee, and it could have cost us big if he got injured. To say Im glad he didnt sign here, isnt accurate. but I am relieved we didnt commit those kinds of dollars to a 32 pitcher who didnt pitch great here in Texas at home. And one who has had back problems in the past. Am I saying he is a bad value for Philly. Hell No. but I just think he isnt a great value for us. So as much as I hate seeing him go, a move to the NL took alot of sting out of the blow for sure.

not so fast on Young to first base, you have Moreland and whoever is gonna replace Vlad at DH/1B. Keep Yound at 3rd, too hard to find hitting 3rd basemen.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not so fast on Young to first base, you have Moreland and whoever is gonna replace Vlad at DH/1B. Keep Yound at 3rd, too hard to find hitting 3rd basemen.

Right now we have very little power at 1b and 3b, with Young and Moreland, Beltre would change that instantly in this ball park.

My guy says Vlad returns, but I dont expect him to mirror last yrs numbers, so Vlad and Moreland can platoon at DH, with Young moving to 1B.

Hitting isnt the problem with Young, its his fielding at 3B this past season. His errors were costly, and many. he would be a solid 7th hole bat to start the table again for the bottom of the order.

This would be a much more balanced lineup and create even more havoc with the Addition of Beltre and Cruz protecting them both ahead of him.

SS Elivs

2B Kinsler

LF/CF Hamilton

3B Beltre

RF Cruz

DH Vlad/ Moreland drops a spot when in the lineup

1B Young

CF/LF Borboun/Murphy

C - Weakness unless Bengi returns

For the record I do not see Texas getting past Boston the way both teams are constructed now, unless we sign Beltre, trade for a top of the order starter, plus move neftali to the rotation, and sign a closer like soriano. Though i hear there is no way we sign soriano for what he is likely to get 3 yr 40 mil. So Scheppers maybe the closer if this happens if they think he is ready. His stuff is amazing, though no where near the 100 fastball of feliz.

Losing Lee puts the franchise back, as there is such a huge hole left in the rotation. But if we are able to say get Garza it changes alot of things. But I dont move perez or Scheppers to get garza, I move Tommy Hunter and a few other lesser prospects for Garza, and if we cant get him for that, you absolutely keep Tanner Scheppers to close in the future and perez in the rotation who may have the best stuff of every pitcher in the organization.

Garza

CJ Wilson

Colby Lewis

Neftali Feliz

Derek Holland / Martin Perez

I actually like this team better than what went to the WS last yr, even without Lee if and a big if, Neftali can start and be as effective as CJ, we get garza, Beltre, resign Vlad, and Scheppers is ready. Oganda actually may close or move to the rotation if Neftali fails. the goal is to win the west, and we most likely will see the Sox in the first round, which maybe a blessing getting them in a shorter series as they have more starting depth than we do. And then get the Spankees or the AL Central champ in a longer series.

Interesting stats from a commentary in the sports page today about the Phillies.

The last 5 teams to have 4 15-game winners failed to win the WS. So did the last 6 with 4 pitchers who had an ERA better than 3.50. This spans a period going back to about 1990.

It's baseball, they've got a freaking stat for everything.

Brent, Kinsler and Young may need to be switched in your line-up. Kinsler seems to have lost that OBP he once had (strikeouts?). I think his injuries keep him from being counted on at the 2 spot.

The biggest suprise last year has to be Elvis Andrus offensive production. Turning him into a everyday lead off man would be huge.

Right now we have very little power at 1b and 3b, with Young and Moreland, Beltre would change that instantly in this ball park.

My guy says Vlad returns, but I dont expect him to mirror last yrs numbers, so Vlad and Moreland can platoon at DH, with Young moving to 1B.

Hitting isnt the problem with Young, its his fielding at 3B this past season. His errors were costly, and many. he would be a solid 7th hole bat to start the table again for the bottom of the order.

This would be a much more balanced lineup and create even more havoc with the Addition of Beltre and Cruz protecting them both ahead of him.

SS Elivs

2B Kinsler

LF/CF Hamilton

3B Beltre

RF Cruz

DH Vlad/ Moreland drops a spot when in the lineup

1B Young

CF/LF Borboun/Murphy

C - Weakness unless Bengi returns

For the record I do not see Texas getting past Boston the way both teams are constructed now, unless we sign Beltre, trade for a top of the order starter, plus move neftali to the rotation, and sign a closer like soriano. Though i hear there is no way we sign soriano for what he is likely to get 3 yr 40 mil. So Scheppers maybe the closer if this happens if they think he is ready. His stuff is amazing, though no where near the 100 fastball of feliz.

Losing Lee puts the franchise back, as there is such a huge hole left in the rotation. But if we are able to say get Garza it changes alot of things. But I dont move perez or Scheppers to get garza, I move Tommy Hunter and a few other lesser prospects for Garza, and if we cant get him for that, you absolutely keep Tanner Scheppers to close in the future and perez in the rotation who may have the best stuff of every pitcher in the organization.

Garza

CJ Wilson

Colby Lewis

Neftali Feliz

Derek Holland / Martin Perez

I actually like this team better than what went to the WS last yr, even without Lee if and a big if, Neftali can start and be as effective as CJ, we get garza, Beltre, resign Vlad, and Scheppers is ready. Oganda actually may close or move to the rotation if Neftali fails. the goal is to win the west, and we most likely will see the Sox in the first round, which maybe a blessing getting them in a shorter series as they have more starting depth than we do. And then get the Spankees or the AL Central champ in a longer series.

Looks like you are right. We just blew $96 million on Beltre :wacko: