[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

To tip or not to tip?

Slugs3511

I have been playing FF for about 15 years now and I have won only 1 title, but have a superb overall record....I usually win the first round of the playoffs, but in week 15 I blow it....EVERY YEAR....

So, when I won the league about 5 years ago, I tipped my commish because he runs a good league, deals with all the teams, and handles the money...

Is this a common practice?

I also run a league, and I have been tipped a couple of times....

Just curious as to what other leagues have found....

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in a league once where the treasurer went ahead and took a tip from all the monies to give the commissioner, which I had never heard of before. I was really new to Fantasy Football at the time, and had just won, so never really thought much about it. I'm guessing that this is common practice? What percentage do you tip?

Never done it. Never heard of anybody doing it. Guess if your league is high maintenance and the same person does it every year, than it makes some sense. But most of my leagues are pretty easy or the champion is the commish next year.

In two of the leagues in which I play we allocate a stpiend of $20 to the commissioner for time and duties (these are bigger money leagues, $75 and $50 entry fees). In the third league there are no such provisions, and no tradition of tipping, though it has only been around three years (and only a $25 entry fee).

I guess "tipping" sounds weird to me. If you want to toss a few bucks each year to the commissioner, that's fine, just make it part of the league rules. In the old days (pre-Internet FF gaming platforms) the commissioner had a more difficult job in spending a few hours a week tabulating data, but these days the duties of a commissioner are much less accountant-like.

Edited by historymike

In my main league, it has become common practice to buy the Commish a case of beer or a bottle of his favorite beverage. Not sure why, but we just do to thank him for keeping all the guys together, his weekly write-ups, etc...there is no question his write-ups/mockery keep our league fun, and more importantly, keep everyone involved.

Whenever I win any league or pool being run by someone, I always tell the commish to keep a $20 for the effort...least I can do :wacko:

In two of the leagues in which I play we allocate a stpiend of $20 to the commissioner for time and duties (these are bigger money leagues, $75 and $50 entry fees).

:wacko: For some reason, I'm guessing Henry Muto doesn't play in your leagues.

Oh and have never received a tip (nor would I expect to) and have never given a tip. One local league I'm in has a year-end party at a bar and I've won the last two years. I basically bought a round for whoever attended. This year they scheduled it when I can't make it so if I win...nothing for them.

Never heard of it. I don't think that its a good idea (assuming that its a voluntary thing) to allow cash gifts to someone who might be called upon to adjudicate a dispute.

If you want to show your appreciation, why not have each owner throw in $5 - $10 bucks and buy the commissioner a good bottle of booze.

Never heard of it. I don't think that its a good idea (assuming that its a voluntary thing) to allow cash gifts to someone who might be called upon to adjudicate a dispute.

If you want to show your appreciation, why not have each owner throw in $5 - $10 bucks and buy the commissioner a good bottle of booze.

Yeah, booze always helps one adjudicate a dispute. :wacko:

I was in a league once where the treasurer went ahead and took a tip from all the monies to give the commissioner, which I had never heard of before. I was really new to Fantasy Football at the time, and had just won, so never really thought much about it. I'm guessing that this is common practice? What percentage do you tip?

anywhere between 50-75% is bare minimum. Especially if you knock him out of the playoffs. :wacko:

nope , not since the internet. when we used to manually add all the scores from mondays paper , then he deserved a tip. Now the commish does veryy little to deserve a tip. IMHO.

Remind me to never invite you into a league. Commish's do plenty, one league issue and they've earned any small tip they may receive.

I think it depends on the league. I think some commishes certainly deserve a tip, though that isnt why they do it in the first place. Maybe if I win Ill tip one of my commishes....

Can't imagine you made the championship game in more than one league, so I'll be on the lookout for this :wacko:

I've been In my "main" draft league for 8 years now. 6 of the 8 years I've placed in the $$, whether it be league championship, league runner up, or overall points winner. The payouts generally range anywhere from $300 - $1000. The first few times I won he did everything manually, and I tipped him $50. After the 3rd year, we moved to CBS Sportsline and everything was pretty much done for us. All the commissioner did was review trades and handle managers griping about waiver claims and such.. Since then, I've never given him a cash tip, but have taken him to lunch and bought him a few drinks as a thanks.

I think it really all depends on the winner, and how much was won. In the era of "online" league management, there really isn't much the commissioner is responsible for other than setting up the league and overseeing trades and such, so I wouldn't tip much. I think a lunch is fair, depending on the size of the pot you won..

Not that it really has much to do with winning/tipping, every year the commissioner holds the live draft at his place and he does put up a nice array of food/drinks, and he is upfront about telling all the managers that no one is obligated to pitch in, but he welcomes anyone's donation. I throw in an extra $20 spot on top of the league entry fee - although that's really not too relevant to this post.. So why did I post it? I dunno...??