[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

To tip or not to tip?

Slugs3511

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nope , not since the internet. when we used to manually add all the scores from mondays paper , then he deserved a tip. Now the commish does veryy little to deserve a tip. IMHO.

Yep. Especially in my baseball roto leagues of years past. Man doing the manual scoring every week via the USA Today was a pain in the arse. And yes, I got tipped nicely for that until the internet went and RUINED EVERYTHING@@@!!!!!

I'm glad you brought this up, because I've always been confused by this issue - if you win a Super Bowl box pool, or a Survivor pool, or any NCAA college basketball pool, it seems like common practice to me to tip the pool administrator 10%. Yet a fantasy football commissioner does far more work than any of these pool administrators and is typically never tipped. How does that make any sense?

I have been commissioner of my local league for seventeen years and got tipped once.

I'm not complaining, life's too short and it's not much money, but the discrepancy is a little curious, isn't it? One year, a guy in my league won the title and did not tip me - standard practice so I wasn't miffed or anything, but when I won his Super Bowl box pool a couple weeks later I felt no obligation to tip him the otherwise standard 10%.

This reminds me of whether or not folks tip housekeeping at a hotel. I never traveled much, so never gave it much thought, but I had a friend who always left a tip at the end of his stay to housekeeping. Mind you, who cleans your room may change from day to day, so he tried to find the maid in the hallway if it was usually the same one. Later, I started travelling a lot, and ended up doing the same. I realize those services come with the hotel fee, but housekeeping does a lot more than a waiter does.

Pretty funny that people think the Commish doesn't do much, even if its a league run by a website. Draft coordination,making sure everyone is paid, making sure everyone is back for the next year, inputting all the settings, schedules,answering questions, settling issues...the list goes on and on.

Maybe its just our league and we have respect for each other and the job the Commish does....but I can't imagine a scenario where, when there are several hundred dollars that the winner takes home, he can't offer a little something to the Commish (especially as the Fantasy Bowl is around the holidays) as a "thanks for a good job again this year".

OK, but what amount should you offer? Let's say it's a $50 entry fee 12-team league. Here's the prize breakdown.

a. 1st place $325

b. 2nd place $125

c. 3rd place $50

So I guess the first prize winner should be the one to pony up the tip. What's a fair amount or good gesture?

Believe it or not, TimC tipped me when he won Tobacco Road (if he didn't win it he was in the money)...I just can't remember to save my life how much he gave me.

I tip the commishes when I win money. And, yes, I won that league. :tup:

I've tipped BFD like $10 for our $100 entry fee before. I don't think I won money though. :wacko: Besides, 10 bones in Cajun Land is enough for him and his wife to suck alot of crawdaddies.

I've commished since the 80's and some tip when they win. It's a PITA job.