[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Weather in Philly predicted to be horrendous

i_am_the_swammi

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If link isn't working

* IMPACTS: TRAVEL WILL BECOME HAZARDOUS DUE TO SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATIONS OF SNOW. BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW IS EXPECTED WITH GREATLY REDUCED VISIBILITIES AT TIMES. TRAVEL IS STRONGLY DISCOURAGED.

I have many friends with kids with tickets to the game tonight. There are players, officials and employees/crews with families that would need to work the game.

You really believe its work the risks described in your link to try to play a football game?

* IMPACTS: TRAVEL WILL BECOME HAZARDOUS DUE TO SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATIONS OF SNOW. BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW IS EXPECTED WITH GREATLY REDUCED VISIBILITIES AT TIMES. TRAVEL IS STRONGLY DISCOURAGED.

I have many friends with kids with tickets to the game tonight. There are players, officials and employees/crews with families that would need to work the game.

You really believe its work the risks described in your link to try to play a football game?

The amswer remains to be seen.

IMO its typical over-reaction by Philly media (in this case the weather-people) to the point where they scared the mayor in to declaring a state of emergency 3 hours ahead of time

BTW- is it even snowing there yet? Nothing here.

Anyone know if there is a deadline (official or otherwise) when the decision of whether or not to postpone has to be made? I mean, its not like they can wait til 15 mins before kickoff and say "Nah, lets do this another time." I would think they would need to make it several hours in advance but I dont know...

I do fear we wont know for sure in time for the noon kickoffs :wacko:

it's been insane for fans getting to and home from games in the snow forever. no matter the situation

LET THEM PLAY!!!

I know snow is a PITA but people show up HOURS early to tailgate etc...once you get within X miles of the stadiums you are crawling anyway so no different than doing it in the snow...well maybe a bit of a difference but you get the picture

Nope, nothing here yet either...but it is snowing in South Jersey...beaches are already covered in snow. Should be here in 1-2 hours.

Listen, I'd love to see a snow game...haven't had a real one here in ages. Even if it levels the field for the Vikings, I still think we win, so the fan-aspect of this is let them play.

But from a public safety standpoint, with so many people trying to get home or back to hotels at 11:30PM, at the height of what is expected, it just seems the easier call to make is to move the game 24 hours. I can just imagine the fallout if the NFL /Mayor succumbs to pressure, allows this game to be played, and there are resulting tragedies from the weather.

The amswer remains to be seen.

IMO its typical over-reaction by Philly media (in this case the weather-people) to the point where they scared the mayor in to declaring a state of emergency 3 hours ahead of time

I will say this...the storm started for us in Virginia last nite around 4:30 PMish...reports of how much has fallen varies greatly but I will say that it is still snowing very hard and not expected to stop til much later tonite or after midnite....roads look pretty bad

here is link for VDOT..just pick a locality and you can see how snow covered the roads are....map is interactive too:

http://www.511va.org/Conditions.aspx?r=6 hover over the legend and then hover over the colors to see what they mean

Nope, nothing here yet either...but it is snowing in South Jersey...beaches are already covered in snow. Should be here in 1-2 hours.

Listen, I'd love to see a snow game...haven't had a real one here in ages. Even if it levels the field for the Vikings, I still think we win, so the fan-aspect of this is let them play.

But from a public safety standpoint, with so many people trying to get home or back to hotels at 11:30PM, at the height of what is expected, it just seems the easier call to make is to move the game 24 hours. I can just imagine the fallout if the NFL /Mayor succumbs to pressure, allows this game to be played, and there are resulting tragedies from the weather.

fwiw, if the snow starts in about 2 hours (2:30PM) you will be looking at about 3-4 inches on the ground at kickoff (unless the storm has changed from what we got initially)...and by 11:30 you are probably looking at around 6-7 max...we had about 5" about 8 hours in...at 12 hours in this morning we are probably around 8" or so...again it might have intensified coming up the coast...by the way the winds are pretty brutal

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/early-lea..._postponed.html

The game between the Minnesota Vikings and Philadelphia Eagles tonight has been postponed because of a blizzard and snow emergency in Philadelphia.

The Eagles announced that the game would be played at 8 p.m. Tuesday. That gives ESPN exclusivity with the "Monday Night Football" game between the New Orleans Saints and Atlanta Falcons and, of course, gives NBC the Eagles-Vikings exclusively.

It puts the Eagles at something of a disadvantage with a very short week to prepare for the regular-season finale next Sunday against the Dallas Cowboys in Philly.

:wacko:

Edited by keggerz

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Pk49mVrUKD0/TCAr...5-snow-bowl.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_Bowl_%281985%29

The Snow Bowl was a National Football League game played on December 1, 1985 between the Green Bay Packers and Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Lambeau Field in Green Bay, Wisconsin. It is known for its heavy snow. Only 19,856 were in attendance, with over 36,000 "no-shows," the most in Packers history. About 2/3 of the stadium was empty.Twelve inches of snow fell before the game and another four to five inches fell during the game.
Edited by Chavez

A quick look at the stands in that pic tells you all you need to know.

Tickets were all paid for, though. Legend has it there were more snowmobiles than cars in the parking lot.