[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

College Football scheduling idea

MTSuper7

I don't pay a ton of attention to college basketball's regular season. I'll admit that I follow Michigan State basketball pretty closely, but for the most part, I won't really pay much attention elsewhere until championship week arrives at the end of February / early March. The one exception to this is early in the college basketball season - the Big Ten / ACC challenge. If you're not familiar with this, the concept is simple: 11 games on the docket over a two-day span, all of which match ACC teams against Big Ten teams. The conference with the most wins is the winner of the challenge. It's a cool way to establish bragging rights.

So why not do this in college football? Am I missing something here? Is there a reason this wouldn't be popular and make the NCAA and universities a money? It doesn't have to be Big Ten / ACC. But wouldn't it be cool if we had "challenge week" early on in the college football season? Say we pit Big 10 against the Pac 10, the SEC against the Big 12, the ACC against the Big East. Whatever...

All year long people always talk smack about how their conference is the best. Well, wouldn't this give fans some bragging rights? Rotate it every year, so it's Big Ten vs. Pac Ten this year, Big Ten vs. SEC next year, etc. I know a lot of schedules are set in place in advance for teams, but couldn't this get put into motion to kick in in a few years?

Maybe I'm on the minority, but there are a few benefits at work here:

1 - The early part of the college football season is a joke. I can only take so many Wisconsin vs. North Dakota State type matchups. This would add better quality games earlier in the year before conference seasons start.

2 - Viewership would do well, and prime matchups could probably make decent money.

3 - Fans would have something additional on the line earlier in the year.

This isn't a huge departure from things like interleague play in MLB and how the NFL rotates their schedule to match NFC divisions against alternating AFC divisions each year. In the end, we know it's all about the money with the NCAA. This seems like it would make a lot of money and generate buzz. Do you all think something like this would be popular? Would you watch with vested interest in how your conference does?

I don't pay a ton of attention to college basketball's regular season. I'll admit that I follow Michigan State basketball pretty closely, but for the most part, I won't really pay much attention elsewhere until championship week arrives at the end of February / early March. The one exception to this is early in the college basketball season - the Big Ten / ACC challenge. If you're not familiar with this, the concept is simple: 11 games on the docket over a two-day span, all of which match ACC teams against Big Ten teams. The conference with the most wins is the winner of the challenge. It's a cool way to establish bragging rights.

So why not do this in college football? Am I missing something here? Is there a reason this wouldn't be popular and make the NCAA and universities a money? It doesn't have to be Big Ten / ACC. But wouldn't it be cool if we had "challenge week" early on in the college football season? Say we pit Big 10 against the Pac 10, the SEC against the Big 12, the ACC against the Big East. Whatever...

All year long people always talk smack about how their conference is the best. Well, wouldn't this give fans some bragging rights? Rotate it every year, so it's Big Ten vs. Pac Ten this year, Big Ten vs. SEC next year, etc. I know a lot of schedules are set in place in advance for teams, but couldn't this get put into motion to kick in in a few years?

Maybe I'm on the minority, but there are a few benefits at work here:

1 - The early part of the college football season is a joke. I can only take so many Wisconsin vs. North Dakota State type matchups. This would add better quality games earlier in the year before conference seasons start.

2 - Viewership would do well, and prime matchups could probably make decent money.

3 - Fans would have something additional on the line earlier in the year.

This isn't a huge departure from things like interleague play in MLB and how the NFL rotates their schedule to match NFC divisions against alternating AFC divisions each year. In the end, we know it's all about the money with the NCAA. This seems like it would make a lot of money and generate buzz. Do you all think something like this would be popular? Would you watch with vested interest in how your conference does?

I like this idea. As a Pac-10 guy, it would be a nice way to continue with the conference rivalry considering the Rose Bowl is no longer tethered to the Big 10-Pac 10 thing.