[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Stanford/Thug U

BeeR

wow Gopher! long post my man!

the long and short of it is - The Pac 10 was much better than the Big 10 this year, top, bottom, middle, however you want to slice it up.. Mich State? please, playing a full slate in the Pac 10 that team is around .500 in conference play. The middle-tier Big 10 teams were awful.

Just a brutal bowl season for the midwestern boys and if OSU gets drilled it will be a complete bed shatting. I happen to think OSU is solid enough to hang with and beat the Hogs but we shall see....

If Oregon beats Auburn convincingly, I think the nod can go to the Pac 10 being the strongest conference this year

wow Gopher! long post my man!

the long and short of it is - The Pac 10 was much better than the Big 10 this year, top, bottom, middle, however you want to slice it up.. Mich State? please, playing a full slate in the Pac 10 that team is around .500 in conference play. The middle-tier Big 10 teams were awful.

Just a brutal bowl season for the midwestern boys and if OSU gets drilled it will be a complete bed shatting. I happen to think OSU is solid enough to hang with and beat the Hogs but we shall see....

If Oregon beats Auburn convincingly, I think the nod can go to the Pac 10 being the strongest conference this year

I'm home watching a 3-month-old this week, so plenty of time to ramble, in between naps (hers, not mine). :tup: My point was simply this... I think Oregon is clearly the elite of the Pac-10. Stanford is 1-A of the conference. I happen to think that OSU and Wisky are right there, at the same level as Stanford, but I'll give the edge to Stanford because of there impressive bowl performance (which is why I said Oregon AND Stanford are both better than OSU/Wisky). But, I also believe that Wisconsin played the much tougher opponent (between TCU and VTech), and if it had been reversed, it likely would have been the same outcome (Wisconsin beating VTech soundly, and TCU-Stanford being a very close game). So, I agree... The Pac-10 is better than the Big 10 this year. Much better, top, bottom, and middle? Not as much as you think, apparently.

No doubt the Big 10 is down. What I find laughable is people stating that, because of their poor performance this year in the bowls, that they should lose their automatic BCS bid. :wacko: Bowl records are all about matchups, and everyone knew the Big 10 had some pretty poor matchups, going into this bowl season. Do they have a legitimate NC contender? No. But, they've still got two of the top 10 teams in the country. Even if OSU gets smoked tonight, they're no worse than top 12-15. Two teams in the top 10-15, and it's your worst year, as a conference, in recent memory... Not as bad as some haters make it seem. Sure, it would have been nice, from a Big 10 perspective, to see Penn State, Michigan State, or Michigan win a bowl game... But, like I said, none of those results were a surprise to anybody. Those teams are all what we thought they were. Funny that people want to talk about five losses on New Year's Day, but everybody forgets that Iowa beat a 10-win Missouri team, and Illinois completely destroyed Baylor. So, is the Big 10 really that bad, or is the SEC (the conference that beat most of those Big 10 teams) just really good? Pretty sure the last 10 years or so has shown us which one of those things is undoubtedly true. Even if Oregon wins by 20 next Monday night, the SEC is the best all-around conference in the country, and it's not even close.

SEC

lots of space....

Pac-10

Big 10/Big 12

Didn't mean to get so far off-topic. Back to my original thought... I think the NC will be very entertaining, but a Stanford-Oregon rematch would be interesting as well. I know it's been stated on these boards before, but can you just imagine how cool it would be to see:

1 Auburn vs 8 Wisconsin

4 Stanford vs 5 Boise

2 Oregon vs 7 Alabama

3 TCU vs 6 Oklahoma

I know those aren't exactly mirroring what I said earlier, in terms of rankings, but I tried to match up non-conference opponents (instead of Bama vs Auburn, etc.).

Even better, like I said earlier...

1 Auburn

2 Oregon

3 TCU

4 Stanford

5 Boise vs 12 Oklahoma State

6 Oklahoma vs 11 Arkansas

7 Alabama vs 10 Ohio State

8 Wisconsin vs 9 LSU

One can only dream.... :wacko:

Didn't mean to get so far off-topic. Back to my original thought... I think the NC will be very entertaining, but a Stanford-Oregon rematch would be interesting as well. I know it's been stated on these boards before, but can you just imagine how cool it would be to see:

1 Auburn vs 8 Wisconsin

4 Stanford vs 5 Boise

2 Oregon vs 7 Alabama

3 TCU vs 6 Oklahoma

I know those aren't exactly mirroring what I said earlier, in terms of rankings, but I tried to match up non-conference opponents (instead of Bama vs Auburn, etc.).

Even better, like I said earlier...

1 Auburn

2 Oregon

3 TCU

4 Stanford

5 Boise vs 12 Oklahoma State

6 Oklahoma vs 11 Arkansas

7 Alabama vs 10 Ohio State

8 Wisconsin vs 9 LSU

One can only dream.... :wacko:

Sorry teams like LSU, Bama etc don't deserve a shot at the NC anymore so than Seattle does in the NFL. While entertaining it just wouldn't be justified.

1 Auburn vs 8 Wisconsin

4 Stanford vs 5 Boise

2 Oregon vs 7 Alabama

3 TCU vs 6 Oklahoma

Oregon vs. Alabama would be a great game.

Oh, and I disagree with Wildcat's assessment of Michigan State. They would maybe lose 2 games in the PAC-10. They just happened to run into a buzzsaw in Alabama. One bad game does not equal a mediocre team.

Sorry teams like LSU, Bama etc don't deserve a shot at the NC anymore so than Seattle does in the NFL. While entertaining it just wouldn't be justified.

Your comment is seemingly based on the current format, which is that only the teams with the best regular season record get a chance. A playoff is different in that more teams get a chance... not just #1 versus #2. No offense, but your Seattle comparison is frankly a terrible one... Seattle was outscored by 97 points this season. The proved, time and time again, that they couldn't compete with good teams, much less elite ones, and benefitted from being in a terrible division. Alabama, meanwhile, played in the best conference in college football, beat several good teams, and lost by a point to the #1 team in the country. Not even close to the same scenario.

My "list" has less to do with who deserves it (based solely on record), so to speak, and more to do with which teams in the country are capable of putting together a 3 or 4-game run against the nation's elite. Alabama, in a tournament format, would be just as dangerous as anybody else in the nation, IMO. Meanwhile, I think it's pretty safe to say that Michigan State (2 losses) wouldn't stand a chance of winning a national playoff. Rankings only mean so much, and there's no way anybody can tell me that Alabama isn't one of the best (talent-wise) 12 teams in the country... I think they're easily in the top 8-9, maybe even higher. Considering who they lost to, Alabama and LSU are more deserving than any other two-loss team in the country. Heck, 'Bama lost three times, but there's only a few one-loss teams that I would say are better OR more deserving of a chance, than the Tide.

College basketball could follow football's model and just invite the four "most deserving" teams to the Final Four each year, and eliminate the first four rounds of their tournament, but what fun would that be? Better yet... The NFL should just hold the Super Bowl this weekend. New England vs. Atlanta, and everybody else can just stay home. :wacko:

Edited by Gopher

Oh, and I disagree with Wildcat's assessment of Michigan State. They would maybe lose 2 games in the PAC-10. They just happened to run into a buzzsaw in Alabama. One bad game does not equal a mediocre team.

nothing personal against Sparty- I just happen to think MSU is the poster child for benefitting from ridiculoius NC scheduling and being in a conference that is down. They look, and looked average to me for the majority of their games, I give them credit for beating Wisky- a nice win. I firmly believe they would have been middle of the pack in the SEC or Pac 10

But there is nothing about that team that belongs in the top 10, let alone the top 25 - just an absolute joke.

Yeah, they're a good team, but definitely not a great one. Not having to play the Buckeyes definitely helped them, but they did manage to beat Wisconsin. On the other hand, they lost badly to Iowa, and had to convert a fake FG to beat Notre Dame. But, winning games is winning games, and that's one thing they did well... they won the games that they should have won, and managed to win all of the close games that they had.

No way to tell how they would do in the Pac-10, but I'm guessing they would finish in the 3rd to 5th range (about where they would have finished int the Big 10, had they played OSU).