[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Michigan to hold press conference

Rockerbraves

The way the SEC has been stockpiling awesome coaches, I bet they make a big splash and look for someone with an NFL pedigree. How about Bumbletary? :wacko:

I'm thinking Pete Carroll, Bill Cowher, Jon Gruden, Tony Dundy, Butch Davis or even Lane Kiffin. But seriously it's hard to believe Les Miles is going anywhere. Why should he? He has perhaps his best team returning along with yet another great recruiting class.

I'm thinking Pete Carroll, Bill Cowher, Jon Gruden, Tony Dundy, Butch Davis or even Lane Kiffin. But seriously it's hard to believe Les Miles is going anywhere. Why should he? He has perhaps his best team returning along with yet another great recruiting class.

That's always the part that I don't get. Why in the world would Les be interested in that job? It's not as good a gig as he has right now. I mean, sure historically, UM is more prestigious but it's not like LSU is some flash in the pan, and over the last 10 years? Not even close.

Not that it's quite on the same level, and I may have mentioned this before, but when NC St ran off Herb Sendek a couple of years back, I was astounded at the people they brought in for interviews, because all of them had better gigs. Sure, NC St has some banners in the rafters, but that was years ago. They brought in Calipari, who had a better gig with Memphis, Rick Barnes, who had a better gig with Texas, even Jay Wright, who had just taken his Villanova team to the final four was courted. Why in the hell would any of those guys downgrade to a mid-tier ACC program?

It's sort of the same thing here. I mean, this may hurt to hear for UM fans, but LSU is heads and shoulders above that program right now. They're a perennial contender in a conference that, at least for the last several years has been the elite conference in the country. They've won 2 titles and been in in the BCS in other year(s?) as well. They've got a mad pipeline of talent. All to take over a team that was in a bad place 3 years ago and is in a worse place now.

Sorry UM, but like I said above, there's at least as much buzz about the Stanford gig right now as yours, and that is saying a lot.

Sure, take a swing at one of the big names who aren't coaching right now, but I just don't see who you're going to be able to lure off another sideline right now besides a guy like Hoke.

That's always the part that I don't get. Why in the world would Les be interested in that job? It's not as good a gig as he has right now. I mean, sure historically, UM is more prestigious but it's not like LSU is some flash in the pan, and over the last 10 years? Not even close.

It's been his dream job as a Michigan man. Doesn't matter where the programs are in relation to each other right now. Taking that approach would be short-sighted. It's still freakin' Michigan, he can use that brand and his southern recruiting ties together.

How cool would it be for him to return where it all started for him, bring the program back to national pre-eminence and restore the balance in the rivalry? It's the greatest 'buy low' possibility ever, and these cats thrive on challenges.

IMO, 75% chance this happens.

Last night ESPN reported Michigan next coach will be Les Miles if offered the job. Reports down here are that the offer is on the table, so I guess that means Les is leaving LSU. Certainly ESPN can't be wrong again. Can they?

ESPN.com college football analyst Joe Schad reported Monday afternoon that a source told him Miles would accept the coaching position at Michigan if he was offered.

The New Orleans Times-Picayune refuted that report Monday night after receiving word from a high-ranking LSU official that stated "Don't worry. He's not leaving."

:wacko:

Edited by Rockerbraves

It's been his dream job as a Michigan man. Doesn't matter where the programs are in relation to each other right now. Taking that approach would be short-sighted. It's still freakin' Michigan, he can use that brand and his southern recruiting ties together.

How cool would it be for him to return where it all started for him, bring the program back to national pre-eminence and restore the balance in the rivalry? It's the greatest 'buy low' possibility ever, and these cats thrive on challenges.

IMO, 75% chance this happens.

Looks like Ohio State is safe for at least a few more years. Sorry Slayer but LSU is now reporting

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BATON ROUGE - LSU head football coach Les Miles notified LSU Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics Joe Alleva on Tuesday morning that he will remain at LSU.

"I am pleased to announce that Les Miles will remain the head coach at LSU," said Alleva. "Les has led this program to many great successes on the field and his players represent LSU well off the field. We look forward to many great years of LSU football under his leadership."

Miles will have a press conference upon his return from Dallas where he is speaking at the convention of the American Football Coaches Association.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hoke officially announced as coach

They'll formally introduce Hoke at a presser tomorrow in Ann Arbor at 1pm est.

Damn it, damn it, damn it!!!! :wacko:

Just when SDSU was getting their program together, THIS happens!!!

DAMN IT!

Way to stop the bleeding. They could have chased every guy who already had a better gig around until they completely embarrassed themselves but they went out and found a talented young coach who was part of their family to try and bring back the glory. He was the best candidate all along. They had to appease the fan base by swinging for the fences because "they deserved better", but they really didn't. There simply weren't enough guys this year who were exciting enough to be sexy hires who didn't already have better gigs.

Way to stop the bleeding. They could have chased every guy who already had a better gig around until they completely embarrassed themselves but they went out and found a talented young coach who was part of their family to try and bring back the glory. He was the best candidate all along. They had to appease the fan base by swinging for the fences because "they deserved better", but they really didn't. There simply weren't enough guys this year who were exciting enough to be sexy hires who didn't already have better gigs.

Agree. I figured it was going to be Hoke in the end.

Harbaugh wanted to go to the NFL all along, and Miles has too good of a situation at LSU to leave.

Hoke seems to have the magic touch for turning programs around, which is what he will have to do. RichRod left a mess.

And to my fellow UM fans, PLEASE give the man a chance.

Edited by Wolverines Fan

From an OSU site:

Well, Michigan went and did it—they finally found somebody who actually wanted to coach their football team.

Enter Brady Hoke. He was an assistant coach under Lloyd Carr from 1995-2002, where he learned at the foot of the master that surliness is next to Godliness. (That's probably not true.) He then took over Ball State in 2003 before moving on to San Diego State for the 2009 and 2010 seasons.

Overall, Hoke has a 47-50 career record as a head coach, but over the last four seasons, his teams were 32-19, which is a .627 winning percentage. In other words, he's been pretty strong the last few seasons.

Some Michigan fans will tell you that this hiring is their worst nightmare, but they'd be wrong. They've been living their worst nightmare for the past three seasons. The hiring of Brady Hoke is merely waking up from that nightmare only to realize that you're still stuck rooting for Michigan.

My initial thoughts on the hire are the same as everybody else's in many regards. It's not a homerun. but it IS a base hit that keeps the inning alive. Ultimately, however, somebody else may have to drive in the winning run.

For me, Hoke is Lloyd Carr 2.0. He's been called a safe choice, like going to a Chinese buffet for the first time in your life and filling up on pizza.

But the second coming of Lloyd Carr isn't necessarily a bad thing. After all, isn't that what Michigan is striving for, acoach who can win nine games per year and sometimes maybe eleven?

You know, like an elitist Wisconsin.

I have no doubts that Brady Hoke can get Michigan back to where Lloyd Carr had them. The problem, however, is convincing Michigan and their fans that the standard eight or nine wins per season might actually be exactly where they belong.

While I don't hate this hire for Michigan, my basic problem with it is that it was done with blinders on. Coaching candidates could have been standing right next to Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon and he wouldn't have even seen them if they didn't have some tangential Michigan or Big Ten ties.

I'm not sure if you've noticed lately, but there's a bunch of good coaches in the SEC and the only one Michigan looked at eats grass like normal people eat Tic Tacs.

There's good coaches in the west too—one of them was even in the BCS National Championship Game on Monday, but Michigan only looked at Jim Harbaugh. Now don't get me wrong, I firmly believe that Harbaugh would have been like hitting back-to-back Grand Slams, but Dave Brandon couldn't seal the deal on the most perfect fit the state of Michigan would have seen since Chet Lemon's afro met his Tigers cap for the very first time.

The loss of Harbaugh, however, is not Brandon's fault. It's Harbaugh's. Or maybe it's Rich Rodriguez's. After all, it's always fun to pin all of the blame for lack of performance on the previous regime.

Lloyd Carr may have left a bare cupboard (he didn't), but at least he didn't strip the copper like Rodriguez did.

Now fans are worried that Hoke won't have a spot for Denard Robinson, and the 2011 Heisman candidate will transfer somewhere that can better utilize his talents, but smart coaches are able to find ways to utilize supreme talent when they have it. Smart coaches don't go chasing off elite quarterback prospects when they take over a new job.

Fans are upset right now because they lost out on Harbaugh and Les Miles. What they should be happy about, however, is that they are finally free of Rich Rodriguez.

By 1:30 pm tomorrow, after Hoke's introduction at the University of Michigan, he will have won over a substantial amount of luke-warmers simply by stating repeatedly that it's time for Michigan to get back to being Michigan.

Nothing fires up the masses like reminding them how good their best days were, regardless of whether or not those days were actually all that great to begin with.

Remember your favorite bicycle? Yeah, it was basically a piece of crap, but you still remember it fondly, don't you? Remember your favorite dog? It had six different dads.

Right now one of Hoke's first responsibilities will be to get everybody in one of those reminiscing type of moods, the kind where you sit around the kitchen table talking about the good ol' days until three in the morning.

He will need to bring everybody together, but at least he has a working knowledge of the way the University of Michigan works. When Rodriguez got to Michigan, he opened up the instructions and they were all in Korean.

Hoke knows what people want to hear, and he also knows how to say it. More importantly, he WANTS to say it.

Michigan fans may not be happy with Hoke, but they need to keep in mind that he's the one who actually WANTED this job, and he wasn't shy when it came to talking about it.

Yes, Michigan finally got their Michigan Man.

Now they just have to come to terms with it.

Edited by Glabra

I have no doubts that Brady Hoke can get Michigan back to where Lloyd Carr had them. The problem, however, is convincing Michigan and their fans that the standard eight or nine wins per season might actually be exactly where they belong.

Eight or nine wins per season is where they belong? :lol: Talk about condescending. :wacko::tup: It's not OSU's Divine right to up 10, 11 or 12 wins and win the Big 10.

Edited by Wolverines Fan

Eight or nine wins per season is where they belong? :lol: Talk about condescending. :wacko::tup: It's not OSU's Divine right to up 10, 11 or 12 wins and win the Big 10.

Here's a link to Brady Hoke first press conference as head coach of Michigan. He really tried to play up the Michigan traditions and even went so far as to mention Ohio State. Not a knock but an observation he seemed nervous.

http://www.maizenbluenation.com/

Here's a link to Brady Hoke first press conference as head coach of Michigan. He really tried to play up the Michigan traditions and even went so far as to mention Ohio State. Not a knock but an observation he seemed nervous.

http://www.maizenbluenation.com/

sounds a little bit like a meathead..But anything should be an upgrade over RichRod..We'll see how it goes.

Damn it, damn it, damn it!!!! :wacko:

Just when SDSU was getting their program together, THIS happens!!!

DAMN IT!

This always happens to San Diego teams Chargerz. I'm actually still amazed Steve Fisher has been here this long. Maybe he'll take his success somewhere next year...wouldn't surprise me at all.

As far as the man to take over the Hoke vacancy, that goes to Rocky Long

• 2 weeks later...