[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Luck coming back

bigrocks

"I am committed to earning my degree in architectural design from Stanford University and am on track to accomplish this at the completion of the spring quarter of 2012."

Any bets on whether Newton comes back for another year at Auburn? Does anyone even know if he has a major there?

:wacko: Typically this hasnt ended well for alot of these players

Matt Leinart - Draft stock declined

Jake Locker - Draft stock will plummet

Sam Bradford - though he still went #1, he got injured and didnt have the chance to play himself out of the top overall spot like the 2 ahead of him.

If Stanford loses Harbaugh and the offense changes, and he struggles, he could drop as well. Though the biggest threat to go #1 in 2012 that we know of now was Blaine Gabbert and he already announced he was coming out this yr.

good for the kid, to stay with his commitment to the school. but it could be a costly decision if he is severly injured or plays poorly as Locker has this past season when some thought he was #1 overall material last yr. .

And Newtons dad tried to pimp him for 180K, you think there is a chance in hell he is turning down millions at this point. Daddy needs a new roof on his church.

:wacko: I don't get it. Maybe his architectural design degree doesn't have any classes on the finances that he'll lose if they don't have a rookie wage scale this year vs if they have one next year. I guess good for him, but I'd jump as there is always time to go back and complete a degree no matter where you are. It's not like he can go play in the league for 10 years and then jump in to architecture. You'd still have to go back for some school and / or an internship.

I dont know how you pass on being the #1 overall pick. Football is a crazy sport and a lot can happen to someone over 1-2 year span.

I personally would rather go to college rich than not............

This. With about $42m guaranteed, coming out is a total no-brainer. Anything happens to him next year and he'll be able to write "Bad" in front of his name.

Chris Mortenson was on ESPN radio in Dallas and stated. The first thing owners want is a rookie pay scale,and they are pushing for this to go into effect THIS yr for draft picks. The current CBA runs out after the Superbowl, so if the owners get their wish, the rookie pay scale with be for rookies in next Aprils NFL draft.

So if this is true, Luck wasnt going to get Bradford money anyway, and will likely be the #1 overall pick next yr, getting the same money then, as compared to now. Add the fact there could potentially be a lock out, he is taking on a great deal of risk giving up his degree for now, a shot at the Heisman, and potentially a shot at getting to the BCS title game, and the college experience. Instead sitting and waiting for the owners and the union to decide, and sitting out potentially a full season. So this decision could be a brillant one for him.

Also, his Dad is Oliver Luck a former NFL player and the current athletic director at the University of West Virgina. So this family isnt hurting for him to turn pro. And this family has the money to buy an insurane policy if he were to get hurt and not be able to play football again because of an injury. Then he has his degree from Stanford and a huge bank account from insurance money. So it seems this is a smart decision for him.

Chris Mortenson was on ESPN radio in Dallas and stated. The first thing owners want is a rookie pay scale,and they are pushing for this to go into effect THIS yr for draft picks. The current CBA runs out after the Superbowl, so if the owners get their wish, the rookie pay scale with be for rookies in next Aprils NFL draft.

So if this is true, Luck wasnt going to get Bradford money anyway, and will likely be the #1 overall pick next yr, getting the same money then, as compared to now.

Yea, but there is only room for him to move down. You can't go higher than #1 and there is a chance the rookie wage scale doesn't get done this year while I'm 100% positive it will be done before next year. So no, there is no way that this can be a brilliant move. He can end up fine, and possibly not lose any ground but the "college experience" isn't worth what he is passing up on. Besides, going #1 and ending up at Carolina is a lot better landing spot than some other #1s have been (Oakland, Detroit, St. Louis). Maybe he'll enjoy being a brown after next year's draft. :wacko:

Yea, but there is only room for him to move down. You can't go higher than #1 and there is a chance the rookie wage scale doesn't get done this year while I'm 100% positive it will be done before next year. So no, there is no way that this can be a brilliant move. He can end up fine, and possibly not lose any ground but the "college experience" isn't worth what he is passing up on. Besides, going #1 and ending up at Carolina is a lot better landing spot than some other #1s have been (Oakland, Detroit, St. Louis). Maybe he'll enjoy being a brown after next year's draft. :wacko:

The more I hear, the more it seems that there simply will not be football this coming year unless that, and other things get ironed out. And it makes sense, this will be a lock-out, not a strike, and this is something the owners want badly. So you have to think it is among the top priorities.

As for comparisons with Locker and Lienart. In the case of Locker, it was all about physical tools and promise. Promise that never materialized. In terms of Leinart, it may have has as much to do with the fact that the draft seemed so much thinner at QB in '05. I remember because the Niners were stuck at #1 and tried like hell to get out of that pick. Alex Smith went #1 and the next guy didn't get picked up until 24. Mind you, it was Rodgers, so a lot of guys whiffed, but regardless, it's all about perception.

Luck hasn't been considered the #1 pick by default, he's been talked about as one of those "once in a decade" sort of players. Which means people even think of him with higher regard than Bradford, a player who had about as damaging a campaign as possible (2 shoulder injuries) and still went #1.

The one thing I do certainly agree with is that there could be worse places than Carolina to end up in. They're not a perennially bad team. I'm not exactly sure what happened to the OL this last year but it should be better. They have talent on D and good backs. If they picked him up, grabbed a WR in the 2nd or 3rd, and grabbed a hired gun FA, he could have been put in a rather decent position to succeed. And, like Square says, that may not be the case next year.

Edited by detlef

Saw this list of quarterbacks who came out early. Maybe he thinks he's not ready yet for the NFL yet? :wacko:

JaMarcus Russell

Vince Young

Alex Smith

B. Roethlisberger

Rex Grossman

Michael Vick

Tim Couch

Ryan Leaf

Heath Shuler

Trent Dilfer

Drew Bledsoe

Tommy Maddox

Todd Marinovich

Jeff George

Andre Ware

Not exactly a who's who of great QBs. Maybe he's looking after his second contract?

On another subject, his father was interviewed on the local sports radio. He said that the choice was all Andrews and that he simply wanted to get his degree and honor his commitment to the class he came in with. His dad (who has a law degree and played in the NFL during the strike of 82 and retired in 87 partially because of that strike) did do a lot of research regarding the rookie cap and possible lock-out but said his kid really didn't care about that stuff. That he simply wanted to go back to school and finish up. Apparently Andrew has talked to both Manning brothers among others.

Oliver Luck did say that he's about certain that the last guys to cash in on crazy rookie money were those who came out last year, because he's sure that the rookie structure will be in place by the time of the next draft.

Saw this list of quarterbacks who came out early. Maybe he thinks he's not ready yet for the NFL yet? :wacko:

JaMarcus Russell

Vince Young

Alex Smith

B. Roethlisberger

Rex Grossman

Michael Vick

Tim Couch

Ryan Leaf

Heath Shuler

Trent Dilfer

Drew Bledsoe

Tommy Maddox

Todd Marinovich

Jeff George

Andre Ware

Three of those guys have Super Bowl rings, three others have played in the SB, and Jeff George had a long career in which he was one game away from the SB, not too shabby.

Edited by SEC=UGA