[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Saints/Seahawks

Chief Dick

Just have this weird feeling that the Seahawks are going to win this game. It kind of reminds me of the Chiefs/Ravens game. Everyone expects the Ravens to come here and win easily, but teams hear that all week and get a chip on their shoulder.

This game sets up that way. Seattle could come out strong in this one, and with the home crowd could make things really difficult for the Saints.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just have this weird feeling that the Seahawks are going to win this game. It kind of reminds me of the Chiefs/Ravens game. Everyone expects the Ravens to come here and win easily, but teams hear that all week and get a chip on their shoulder.

This game sets up that way. Seattle could come out strong in this one, and with the home crowd could make things really difficult for the Saints.

and I have thie weird feeling it will snow in the Big Easy today.

I have the same feeling, fwiw.

The Saints only started playing like a playoff-caliber team once they began to run the ball with Ivory. Amazing what a running threat will do to open up the passing game.

Unless Julius Jones (in his return to Seattle) can take some pressure off Brees, this game will be much closer than most people think...and there is no reason the Hawks can't steal it.

FWIW...Saints 20, Seattle 16, in a game not decided until the the 4th quarter.

I can't see any way the Seahawks can stand up against the Saints on either side of the ball.

I think a lot will probably have to go right for the Hawks, but I wouldn't be completely shocked if they win. Not sure if was an anomaly, but Hasselbeck threw for over 350+ yards at New Orleans earlier this year, only to bog down in the red zone. It's Qwest, it's obnoxiously loud, and I've seen many a mediocre defense play well against a higher quality offense there.

and I have thie weird feeling it will snow in the Big Easy today.

Karma. I only hope the Saint players have the same attitude. :wacko:

The weather/homefield advantage figures to give the Seahawks a puncher's chance. That chance can be multiplied if the Hawks can completely bottle the running game and not let the Saints open the field and gash them. Still, it is going to take an elite game from Hasselbeck, which he hasn't shown to be capable of for well over a month now. I'm hoping the weather and crowd can muck things up enough to keep the game close until the 4th quarter. It is going to take quite an effort for a pretty bad Seattle secondary to compete with Brees and his receivers. Chris Clemons needs to have a dominant type game. The Hawks have a chance. Not a great chance, but they have a chance. We'll know ten minutes into the game which Hasselbeck we are going to see.

Seattle's home games this year:

SF 31-6

SD 27-20

ARI 22-10

NYG 7-41

KC 24-42

CAR 31-14

ATL 18-34

STL 16-6

The three games in bold tell me a lot about how the Seahawks fared against quality opponents at home. Basically, they beat some poor/mediocre teams, but struggled against the more quality opponents. I think the Saints will come into Seattle, not taking this game for granted. They're banged up a bit, but I still think they find a way to advance.

That said, I do agree with the sentiment that the Saints struggle when their offense becomes too unbalanced (lack of a run game). It will be interesting to see if Jones can make an impact on the ground. If not, and the Saints have to rely heavily on the pass game, it might be close. I like the Saints to win, but if I was betting on the spread, I'd be tempted to lean towards the Hawks (+10.5). If Seattle can get the home crowd into the game early (with a turnover, or maybe just even a three-and-out for NOS), they might be able to keep it close. The Saints have been somewhat inconsistent as well, this year, and the injuries, weather, and crowd will all be disadvantages for them. Still, the difference between Brees and a fragile Hasselbeck is just too great for me to pick SEA to win this game.

My predictions (against the spread in parentheses):

NOS (SEA +10.5)

IND (IND -2.5)

BAL (BAL -3)

GB (GB +2.5)

Should be a great weekend of football. :wacko:

I have a feeling the Saints will come out throwing and keep throwing today running game be damned.

They will run. Reggie and Jones(plays with a chip today) will run . Bush breaks a long run. they will have over 100 on the ground.

I have a feeling the Saints will come out throwing and keep throwing today running game be damned.

You could be right. But, that Saints team (the one that blew teams out by just throwing the ball last year) hasn't made many appearances this year. They've struggled in some of these type of games (where they were heavy favorites)...

@SF 25-22

CAR 16-14

@ARI 20-30

CLE 17-30

@CIN 34-30

TB 13-30 (benched starters in the second half, but they were losing at that point)

Some games that were closer than expected, as well as some surprising losses.