[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The "Official" American Idol Thread

Chief Dick

You are right on the money, DMD. The exposure will likely launch those three into bigger things then they ever would have dreamed if not for this show. It has bee a few years since I really thought that the right person won it all. Last year was not terrible with Lee but I liked Crystal Bowersox a lot better. And Daughtry...

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like country music, so, I like Scotty. I actually like the fact that he sticks to country songs. He isn't going to win this thing, but, I'm betting that he ends up as the most successful artist out of this group.

i would bet $1 million he isn't.

$1 million is a pretty strong bet. :wacko:

However, I said he wouldn't win, I now think he probably will. Props to you for being the only one to pick Lauren to win this thing a LONG time ago. Whether she wins or not, that was a great call. :tup:

Edited by Menudo

Haley looked stunned last night, and rightly so. Heard a sound bite from Randy today that the judges knew from the beginning that Scotty and Lauren would be the final two. :wacko: Makes me think there is more to this country fix thing after all.

:wacko:

Ever notice that when Seacrest says how long they'll take votes that he says, "For at least two hours, so get your votes in!"

In other words, the votes are open for two hours, and then we shut them down the instant we get the results we want.

:tup:

$1 million is a pretty strong bet. :wacko:

However, I said he wouldn't win, I now think he probably will. Props to you for being the only one to pick Lauren to win this thing a LONG time ago. Whether she wins or not, that was a great call. :tup:

yeah good thing i didn't make that bet. i underestimated the popularity of country music. and thanks for the props on the Lauren call

I would buy a song from Haley singing House of the Rising Sun and Led Zep. Both were better than anything Scotty or Lauren did combined. By far. :wacko:

i do believe an earlier poster who had evidence that idol was trying to get a country singer. I think they're the easiest to market to idol's audience. It did seem that judges may have sandbagged Haley at times; and those songs they chose for her were much harder than anything scotty or lauren had to sing.

That was rajn, who's cousin (I believe?) was denied by the first screeners and supposedly got inside info that Idol was looking for a "male country star" this time around. If (and come on, it's gonna happen) Scotty wins, I am pretty much done with the show. Wow.

Haley finally grew on me :wacko: enough to where I was rooting for her to win. So of course, she gets voted out (and once again came here for the results :tup:). Her Led Zep song was awesome, she nailed Stevie Nicks and made that Alannis Morissette song somewhat listenable. Good on her. Good thing she won't be locked into a crappy contract with the Idol folks, but she'll have to wait until the lame-ass tour is over before she can record something. Here's hoping she goes more the Adele route than the "rocker" route.

Did anyone watch the finale? I had no interest and didn't, and so far have heard it was terrible.

I saw all the singing. I thought Scotty was better than usual which means he must have sucked as I am always on the wrong page with him compared to popular opinion. However, I really think Lauren hit a homerun. If people voted on what they saw yesterday and yesterday only, I think Lauren would win this thing. She was pretty great, IMHO.

I think this is the first one I have not watched. Scotty has been #1 in the voting pretty much every week and dial idol has him winning handily. I wanted Hailey to make it to the finals but the teenage girl text vote was too much. I'll watch the final to see all the other contestants return. Fox has always done a pretty good job with the final. But they need to change the voting.

Did anyone watch the finale? I had no interest and didn't, and so far have heard it was terrible.

We DVR'd it, but I doubt I'll watch it. She'll probably watch it when I'm out cutting the grass. The season started off so good. The depth of good singers was very large, Tyler was hilarious during the auditions and then it just fell flat for me when the live shows started for some reason. Pretty boring and average at the end. Definitely didn't compare to season's past.

Tonight is the one to watch since they will be rolling out all the previous contestants and a slew of celebrities. Idol is big enough now that they can pretty much get anyone they want since it is such big exposure for anyone. I know Scotty already won, but I'll watch the show tonight. The funny thing is that they had Idol, the Biggest Loser and Dancing with the (almost) Stars all on with their season finales at the same time last night. And here in Dallas, it all got pre-empted for the tornadoes that were rolling through.

The funny thing is that they had Idol, the Biggest Loser and Dancing with the (almost) Stars all on with their season finales at the same time last night. And here in Dallas, it all got pre-empted for the tornadoes that were rolling through.

So in essence, they pre-empted 3 reality disasters with yet another. I'm guessing what you ended up watching was more riveting than any of the other three.

We too tuned out last night in favor of CNN's live broadcast of the storm systems in the Midwest. This season of idol, with so much promise just 12 weeks ago, turned out to be maybe the worst season yet. IMO, we won't hear squat from any of these momos 12 months from now, other than the PR that their CD's have been released to record-low purchases.

So in essence, they pre-empted 3 reality disasters with yet another. I'm guessing what you ended up watching was more riveting than any of the other three.

We too tuned out last night in favor of CNN's live broadcast of the storm systems in the Midwest. This season of idol, with so much promise just 12 weeks ago, turned out to be maybe the worst season yet. IMO, we won't hear squat from any of these momos 12 months from now, other than the PR that their CD's have been released to record-low purchases.

+1

What a plummet-job.

Wholesale changes are required here.

Wow, everyone seemed to have bailed. I really enjoyed this season. My favorite left 2 weeks ago, and my 2nd favorite left last week. However, I think these are still two very good singers in the finale. Also, I think they seem to be two genuinely nice teenagers. Here were my thoughts from last night, and where I ranke them, with overall in parenthesis.

1. Lauren Alaina (1) - I came into this week with Scotty ahead of Lauren, but, she took it as far as I'm concenred. I thought they both had their worst performances of the night on the 1st songs, which is the ones they chose. Lauren seemed to struggle with her voice a bit on this one, but, I still gave her a slight edge in Round 1. In Round 2, I thought Lauren was better, but, I thought Scotty was much better too. I gave Scotty a slight edge in Round 2. Round 3 is where they did their original songs, and I thought that Lauren hit it out of the park on this one. It gave me the chills. She absolutely saved her best moment for the last song, and I thought it was amazing.

2. Scotty McCreery (2) - Why he would choose an up-tempo song as his own choice on the 1st song is beyond me. He is so much better when he just sits and sings a slow tempo country song. I think he made a bad choice, and I give Lauren the edge in Round 1. In Round 2, I loved his performance of "Check Yes Or No", which is a song that I really like. I thought he was very good on that one. In Round 3, I think he was solid with his original song, but, he was completely blown away by Lauren who simply killed her original song.

My winner would be Lauren, and I think she came into this as a big-time underdog. However, I think tonight is going to be a surprise, as I think Lauren is going to take the crown. I think saving her best moment for last will have won over a lot of votes.

All in all though, I really enjoyed this season, and I'm a bit surprised to see that so many have dropped off the bandwagon. I will say that the judges act wore VERY thin, and that needs to be addressed. I think they need to make Jimmy Ivine a judge. His comments on their performances were exactly what they were missing, as he could be critical. I also agree that the voting needs to altered, but, since they love getting those large number of votes, I doubt we will see a change.

As for the comments that none of these kids will have careers, I completely disagree. I think both finalists will have solid country careers. They are very talented and very young, with lots of room to grow. I think James & Haley will also have success. I wouldn't be shocked to see Pia get a career either.

1. Lauren Alaina (1) - I came into this week with Scotty ahead of Lauren, but, she took it as far as I'm concenred. I thought they both had their worst performances of the night on the 1st songs, which is the ones they chose. Lauren seemed to struggle with her voice a bit on this one, but, I still gave her a slight edge in Round 1. In Round 2, I thought Lauren was better, but, I thought Scotty was much better too. I gave Scotty a slight edge in Round 2. Round 3 is where they did their original songs, and I thought that Lauren hit it out of the park on this one. It gave me the chills. She absolutely saved her best moment for the last song, and I thought it was amazing.

They said on the news this morning that they found out she sprained one of her vocal cords on the first song, which to me made the last one that much more impressive. I agree too, I didn't listen to any but the last two songs & I thought her performance was outstanding & actually worthy of an Idol win.

They said on the news this morning that they found out she sprained one of her vocal cords on the first song, which to me made the last one that much more impressive. I agree too, I didn't listen to any but the last two songs & I thought her performance was outstanding & actually worthy of an Idol win.

If that's true that's amazing. If she pulls it out tonight, seems like the rankings for the top 3 greatest performances after suffering an injury/setback would be:

Willis Reed in the 1970 NBA finals

Jordan's performance against Utah with a 115 degree temperature

Lauren Alaina in American Idol.

I'm telling you... If you haven't gotten a chance to catch "The Voice," check it out next Tuesday. Better singers, much better-looking women, and although the "format" is completely different (it takes some getting used to, after watching Idol for so many years), I actually prefer it now. You have have actual stars in the music business, who know (for the most part) what they are taking about, deciding who gets cut, as opposed to the teeny-bopper vote deciding who wins. :wacko:

I'm telling you... If you haven't gotten a chance to catch "The Voice," check it out next Tuesday. Better singers, much better-looking women, and although the "format" is completely different (it takes some getting used to, after watching Idol for so many years), I actually prefer it now. You have have actual stars in the music business, who know (for the most part) what they are taking about, deciding who gets cut, as opposed to the teeny-bopper vote deciding who wins. :wacko:

I really like The Voice too but as to the bolded part...I am pretty sure that after the cuts are done the voting is going to mimic what Idol does.

as for Idol...I too couldn't believe that Scotty picked that 1st song to sing and I think that Lauren did indeed win the night...I would like to see her win it all but I am not sure if she can pull it off....and fwiw, I am not shocked that Lauren is in the final because when I heard her audition I said that I thought she was top 3 and wouldn't be surprised if she won it all...also agree that both Lauren and Scotty will have good careers and I also expect to see James and Hayley make a name too...Pia, I just don't see it....not at all...not saying she won't sign a deal but even if she does it will be a quick fizzle.

Edit: i also think the Voice judges made the wrong choice 3 times last nite...think only C-Lo(sp?) made the correct call

Edited by keggerz

I like it better as well. The singers are definitely not amateurs like in American Idol. They are professional singers who haven't gotten their big break yet. I love the format as well, though after the battle rounds, it does become American Idol, as america votes.